Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Re: Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

Post by spacekdet »

You're training to be an expert, is what you're saying!
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

I went old school on it. DOS! I used a command prompt window and the win 8 HD can be accessed that way. I looks like everything is in my backup but I should be able to use the old copy command to transfer files or directories if needed. Since I'm not getting the two OS's thing to work I'll probably format the second drive when I am sure I have everything needed. That should give access and more storage. Copy it all to the win 10 HD, format other one, then put most of it back there. One HD for OS and backups. One for files.

I am concerned about Quickbooks which I use for my business. I might have trouble activating my ten year old copy when I install it in win 10 or it might not be compatible. I do have the bookkeeping data saved.
spacekdet wrote: 09 May 2020, 20:00You're training to be an expert, is what you're saying!
Feels like it.

Update: Tried copying things from second disk with command prompt. It works. If Quickbooks works and formatting the disk makes it accessible in the normal ways then all is good.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

VMware (free), then you can use both operating systems if needed for old software.
I use a very old Genealogy program that will not run properly in Win10.
So if needed I run WinXP within Win10 when I want to use any old program. Works great.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

or dual boot on one drive... you can choose what to boot on each PC start.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks Steinie and Bitkar. Preparation and adaptability wins battles. I should have researched dual boot and other stuff before starting. "A plan lives until its first contact with reality." Adaptation: keeping win 8 would have been nice but not necessary. I would have stopped using it except emergencies anyway after everything was set up.

All is good now. The second drive is working like new and has my files. Win 10 working fine. Quickbooks and business data restored. Many programs to reinstall and set up for automatic backups.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

ending good, everything good... :)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

UPDATE:
To render particle hair with Blender 2.83 Cycles:
- Check "hair" box on Render Properties tab.
- Check "hair" box on View Layer Properties tab, filter section. Only present for Cycles render mode. The viewport doesn't update when you click this box so change it to wireframe and back to rendered.
END UPDATE

Blender 2.83 Frustrated. I can't get hair to render in Cycles. Particle hair. I found how to do it here https://www.united3dartists.com/forum/v ... 470#p57470 but I don't remember how, didn't make notes, and can't find useful info. on the web. There were two things to do. One was check the "hair" box on the render tab. The other I don't remember.

Anyone know how to render hair with Cycles in Blender 2.8+?
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Look into this video!
Its good and is one of the only non payed ones that show basic grooming!

https://youtu.be/PXh8Pnt2lUA
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

:lol:
Screenshot_2020-06-19-17-52-38.png
Screenshot_2020-06-19-17-52-38.png
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-06-19-17-52-46.png
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

That video is a goldmine of Blender hair info. and techniques. Thanks Rayman. Donzanne, Suzrump, (Blender monkey's name is Suzanne) needs thinner hair on top to look like comb over for a bald area.

Blender 2.83 finally introduced collisions for dynamic hair. I've been wanting that. Now you can have hair blow in the wind, flowing long hair, etc. that doesn't go into the character.

Needs improvement but better than work arounds with force fields. Now you set the collider objects to have collision in the physics tab and the hair doesn't pass through them with good settings. That includes the emitter object. I discovered a drawback though. Only parent hairs obey the collision physics. Child hairs still go through. So for now if you want dynamic hair use all parent hairs, no child hairs.

I also found that dynamic hair respects grooming sort of. If you groom the hair the sim can start from there but it will straighten it. Maybe stiffness can help with that. Only child hairs have curl and such, which is maintained with dynamics, so that limits styling using dynamics until child hairs obey collision.

I read somewhere that humans have from 85k to 110k hairs. There are 94k in this image. 200 parents x 470 children.