Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Finis' Experiments and Scribbles

Post by Finis »

Critique this. Advice? What is done right or wrong? Improvements? Technical things? Blender 2.83, 2.90.

PaigeTwoPortrait-1.jpg

Details and more information: https://blenderartists.org/t/paige-two- ... 1242981/14

My effort so far is to import the Daz character to Blender, apply the Daz textures, and create particle hair for head, eyelashes, and eyebrows. The lashes and brows were difficult. I'll probably use a technique with separate meshes for them in the future. Next is to rig the character and continue learning animation. A video including facial animation will appear someday.

Then I'll return to Christmas 20xx and Dark Grunge.

Who's on BlenderArtists? Any forum members there?
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

I come into Blenderartists now and then!
Hair looks quite good so do the lashes etc!
Problem with Daz figures is the eyes! They most of the time look to 3d and the skintextures that transform from daz look less then ideal! I know those issues I had the same out of the box!
You need to seperate the face textures make them realy pbr like and make them 8K just for the face!
Thats not the standard export from Daz though!
Its something I found out by myself!
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks Rayman. The hair tools are not great but I get better results by not trying to control it precisely. I see some hair penetrating her neck/shoulders (trapezius muscle I think). The Daz textures for this one are 4K for skin and have images for color, bump, sss map, etc. I'm just using the color and bump. SSS applied but I should use the map image. Some at BlenderArtists who have made super real faces painted and sculpted color, bump, etc. that looks better than the Daz images which may be photoscans of a real person. As Marcel showed, sometimes art is more real than reality. My rim light is not having the desired effect. I'll move it. Other lighting could be better too. Eyes, yes. I'll make eyes in Blender sometime but for now it is whatever a program like Daz makes.

Photographer Question: When I put the default 35mm camera close to her face there was distortion. Noticeable fish-eye effect. So I changed to 70mm and moved the camera back. That looks good. Is this what a photographer would do?

Comments, critique, advice welcome. See earlier image.
Last edited by Finis on 09 Sep 2020, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

yes, photos of ppl are usually done by 50 - 70 mm or more (tele lenses are also used to cut off the surroundings and make more shallow DOF). 35 mm is pretty wide lens for portraits, more like for nature/landscapes, street...

PS: 50 mm is considered a natural - human-eye like.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

its always the focal length to the neg size! 60-105mm is the portrait lens range but only for 35mm!
Thats also what cg uses! 35mm equivalents!
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Reading about lighting and tried Film Noir.

That's Spacekdet's Haven Hill photo for the wall texture.

PaigeFilmNoir.jpg

https://blenderartists.org/t/paige-two- ... 1242981/21
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Dolly zoom in Blender with no math, no add ons, and no scripts. AKA Hitchcock zoom, zolly.
https://blenderartists.org/t/dolly-zoom ... ts/1257684
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

The Columbus Day Fly In for hang gliders and paragliders was a couple of weeks ago. The road barely existed so driving was much fun. Some spots were like making a commercial for 4WD trucks. From the launch on the mountain I saw one paraglider land in the open desert between town and mountains. No one answered on the radio when I asked if anyone had gone for him and no one at the landing zone knew he was down so I picked him up. A couple of rough landings with no injuries and it was otherwise uneventful.

Frau fuhrer, the governor, decided that restaurants have to take the names and info. of people eating there. My name is now Juan Adam Twelve. My address (homeless) is the bench at the corner of 5th and main (there is no Main Street in my town).
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

good that you picked him up, its nice. I started skydiving this year (finally, i think i was writing about it some time back). And I think paragliding is a way to go in a future, maybe i will. Need a money for that.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Happy Thanksgiving! Family celebration then an old friend is in town.

Skydiving! Hmm, hot air balloons, skydivers, and hang/paragliders all at once. Sounds dangerous but would make a good visual.