VueSpace:Stairway...Help!

CdeB
Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

VueSpace:Stairway...Help!

Post by CdeB »

Hi,

This is my follow on project to "Following the Red Thread" again using trueSpace to do most of the modeling and then populating with vegetation and rendering in Vue.
I am building a staircase and I would like to change the size of the stairs so they increase (or decrease) incrementally..
This could be done manually but I have 200 stairs at the moment
The image below shows where I have got to. It was constructed using Model sides array tools...so it is likely that it would need to be a modelside solution. If anybody has any ideas I would be very grateful...I am close to abandoning this idea -but not the overall project
capture stair.jpg
Thanks!
Chris
marcel
Captain

Re: VueSpace:Stairway...Help!

Post by marcel »

Maybe you can do what you want manually. Do a stair and move his axis at the center of the staircase. Then duplicate and rotate and move the object with the panel for best precision. When you have several stairs (a quarter revolution), glue them and duplicate them to finish the staircase. It is simple and not complex if all the stairs are the same.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Same as with the Clathrin I used Moi 3d for this there is a script for it which is called scale array.....
not a normal function for programs......
here you go if you need any changes just go ahead and tell me I will try to help you....
Peter
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

TS 7.6 model side with the radial array tool:

Make the array. Then use the Scene Editor to select one of the objects within the radial array object. In this case I selected the one at the top. Use the Object Scale tool to scale the object. The others will get graduated sizes.
Attachments
Stairs.jpg
Stairs.jpg (6.04 KiB) Viewed 3898 times
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
CdeB
Chief Petty Officer

Post by CdeB »

Thanks a lot guys! Really helpful :bananathumb:

RAYMAN: As with clathrin, you hit the nail on the head. Exactly what I was trying to achieve :bananathumb: . And I really appreciate again the gift of the geometry from Moi :D . Finis seems to have found a way to do the same in trueSpace so I may start there, but if I can't achieve what I want I will surely return to your great stairs...(Also, the piece maybe a little controversial :shock: -so you may not want to contribute ...The title is "Stairway to Heaven?" and the emphaisis will be on the "?", but with half a nod to the famous track w/o the question mark! I am going to try and play with perspective as I attempted in "Following the Red Thread" and thats why I wanted the stairs as you now elegantly have them.
(BTW How much does MOI cost? ;)) -it seems it really fills a useful niche

Finis: Thank you for solving the issue of how to achieve this effect in trueSpace too. I wondered what the scale tool did, I did fiddle with it but didn't get the effect you achieved so now I will persist....

Marcel: Thanks! With the suggestions above, I think I will now avoid the more manual approach

This thread reminds me of a comment another trueSpace veteran Andy Kay, now lost to C4D, said in his one man show
"It annoys me when I read comments from users saying that 'trueSpace can't do that'-- perhaps 'I haven't figured out how to do that using trueSpace' would be nearer the mark. There isn't much that trueSpace can't do and there is usually a way of achieving the result you want."
looks like trueSpace has little tricks even seasoned users like me are unaware of...

I will now continue posting this as a WIP thread -when I've got time. My holiday finished yesterday :(

Thanks again,

Chris
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

You can always find a soft to resolve a particular problem and tricks are "brain plugins" to help you. I use often tricks because i like to stay in the same interface during my work. When you find a soft you can use Google search or Rayman search. :mrgreen:
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

It looks like i work with so many software but i dont I always come back to the same 3 and thats Silo for polygon and Moi3d for nurbs and Sketchup for buildings (free).
Moi3d is 195 $ but will go up as soon as Version 2 will come out pretty soon..... but it is as good to buy now as the priceincrease is exactly what you pay more for
the first release plus the update... it will be 100 $ for the update...
Sounds much but its saved me a lot of time i would have spent on modeling its just very fast and easy...
Peter
Ps : dont ask me what Andy said to me in his mails !I dont think he sees Truespace like that any more... he didnt come back !!! ;)