Night Vision Goggles - NURBS

clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Night Vision Goggles - NURBS

Post by clintonman »

filletRailCurves.jpg
I tried to simulate fillets by converting the nurbs to polygons and taking them over to workspace and create cut edges boolean to get the general shapes. Then use the curve scripts to convert the cuts into curves and made a profile curve for the birail tool in modelside. The problem is that it only works for parts that meet at 90 degrees because the profile can't adjust as it goes. So I ended up with what looks like a bad weld job. I'll keep it for now and try a straight cross section and make higher resolution polygons to trace on.
lensAndFillets.jpg
lensAndFilletsWF.jpg
I added the actual lenses and reshaped the scopes using the nurbs cage with workspace point editing. I updated the nurbs cage plugin and used it with an updated Bridge Synchronize script so I could reshape the nurbs using workspace tools. The lenses were created with the lathe nurbs plugin and the forehead piece was a series of skinned curves and a cylinder just plugged into the battery compartment.

These are the steps I took to edit nurbs in workspace. Both modelspace and workspace 3d views must be visible:
  • right click the nurbs cage button and choose workspace mode if needed
    left click to activate the cage
    exit pe mode, switch to workspace and edit the cage. be careful not to edit the nurbs geometry.
    Press the "sync now" button of the Bridge Synchronize script to update the modelspace cage/nurbs
    To update workspace nurbs press the Cycle bridge button of the synchronize script. Click the "Sync from modeler" button
The only disappointing thing about the process is that the edge loop selection doesn't work on nurbs type geometry.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
DarkScythe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by DarkScythe »

that's a badass work clintonman :superbanana:
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Interesting, I didn't know you could edit NURBs on the the WS. That's cool, I prefer using the navigation and PE of the WS hands down. I think I will have to follow this tutorial when I have some time these days! Thanks for sharing the process Clinton, again, you're legend. :worship:
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

interiorAndGrouped.jpg
hoseAndNewFillet.jpg
I spent some time trying to do a better fillet and it did turn out better, but it was a lot of work. This time I was more careful when selecting the points of the boolean slice to make the curves and when it came time to skin the curves I only used 2 curves for each fillet which gives a flat surface instead of a fillet style curve. I won't be doing any more fillets unless the surfaces are at 90 degree angles. The goggles look better with the fillets, but it can be a lot of work for a small detail. I also thinned the rubber seal, added hoses, interior geometry and grouped it all together so it can flip up at the battery case/hinge.
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

nurbsCageDeform.jpg
I just made a discovery. Recently I updated the nurbs cage plugin so it would respond to workspace model changes by right clicking and choosing the new workspace mode for the tool. This new mode also makes it possible to use the deform tools in modelspace on the cage and the nurbs will follow along. Picture shows a nurbs with the cage applied being deformed by the deform tool.
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

headPhoneAndMic.jpg
Added the headphones and mic. Made using the loft tool on a curve and a circle and a flattened sphere with a portion removed and capped for the microphone boom. The headphones turned out a little funny looking. The head the instructor used was more vertical in the ear area so when I used the same technique of forming the curve to the head the bottom ended up much fatter. In the end I'll just reload the curves, rotate them and re-skin to get a better shape. The other challenge was that the head I'm using doesn't have any ears so I had to guess the position and size.
2 video lessons to complete the series.
Clinton Reese

clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

strapCurves.jpg
I'm calling it done now. I used workspace to create the curves for the straps and skinned them in modelspace.
finalFront.jpg
finalBack.jpg
Clinton Reese

jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc »

Pro work Clinton!

Excellent work flow and implementation...
Walk by faith, not by sight.
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

There are two types of modelers, the Artsy don't give a hoot about poly count, if it looks good it is acceptable...me.
Then there are those who model with forethought, using established modeling methods and creating amazing realistic models, you. I am often jealous. :bananathumb: