SenFlores - Backyard WIP

RAYMAN
Captain

Re: SenFlores - Backyard WIP

Post by RAYMAN »

Draise wrote:LMAO!!! Good one!!!! I need to learn Vue more!! Lol! Nice one for sure! :lol: :lol:

How long the render take for the 15K houses? (assuming that would be a good 100,000 tri's by 15? = 1.5 trillion tris?)

I'm learning pass based rendering, I'll update you on my rendertimes once I figure out good figures!
I did not note it down but it was short around 5 minutes...
but i made this render for you it took around 20 minutes on an 7i with 16gig of ram ....
Its exactly 479 436 585 polygons ...in words over fourhundred million polygons.... WITH haze and fog turned on....
:lol:
Peter
Attachments
Test 3.jpg

Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Draise »

RAYMAN wrote: I did not note it down but it was short around 5 minutes...
but i made this render for you it took around 20 minutes on an 7i with 16gig of ram ....
Its exactly 479 436 585 polygons ...in words over fourhundred million polygons.... WITH haze and fog turned on....
Peter
That's not bad!! Thanks for the picture! *felt loved :P

Vue does look good. The ecosystem looks incredible! Did it take you long figuring out how to paint ecosystems?

hmmm... Tho the granulated GI and AA doesn't look too good.... I would LOVE to spend 20 minutes on a beast like machine like yours on every frame to get forests like the such, but really cause I'm rendering 20 minute length episode, I can't dabble in the luxery!!! We don't have a render farm yet......:?

RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Draise wrote:
RAYMAN wrote: I did not note it down but it was short around 5 minutes...
Peter
That's not bad!! Thanks for the picture! *felt loved :P

Vue does look good. The ecosystem looks incredible! Did it take you long figuring out how to paint ecosystems?

hmmm... Tho the granulated GI and AA doesn't look too good.... I would LOVE to spend 20 minutes on a beast like machine like yours on every frame to get forests like the such, but really cause I'm rendering 20 minute length episode, I can't dabble in the luxery!!! We don't have a render farm yet......:?
I dont have time to setup the render correctly i was only interested in the render times realy.. would have to optimise aa setings and everything and there is fog and haze too...
it took me 10 minutes to learn to paint ecosystems.. !
Peter

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Jaja, i guess it is easy to learn!!!
And good one on the experimenting.

I made a 360 sky for this project in vue, and amped up the quality and rendered myself a good 4000 pixel wide environment map. But it took many hours to render!

Do you use Vue a lot?

RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Draise wrote:Jaja, i guess it is easy to learn!!!
And good one on the experimenting.

I made a 360 sky for this project in vue, and amped up the quality and rendered myself a good 4000 pixel wide environment map. But it took many hours to render!

Do you use Vue a lot?
you need to learn vue and the settings realy......a map with 4000 wide should take no more the 5-10 minutes.on a simple quadcore.... its all down to the athmosphere settings.....
you can gain and lose a lot of time...
yes I only use 2 render engines now Vue and Thea....
The reasdon is to get used to render engines and getting the maximum out of them you cant jump between dozens of render engines..
Also the material systems are so deep that its very very difficult to remember the best settings in all...
Plus its better to have hundreds of materials for one render engine rather then just a few material for many....
The raeson i use vue is because it lets you make bigger setups with lower spec equipment..
Peter

Tommy
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Tommy »

Draise I have followed your work here in United3Dartists and I am really impressed of what you are doing. My question is: How do you get the time to do all this amazing works.
"Carpe diem"

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

@ Tommy

Well...haha, good question. Well maybe the first thing is... I don't have a girlfriend!!! :D

Second, it's my job. By grace I got given/found a dream job with a good art director that gives me the opportunity to study and do mostly what I want (minus having to work with Softimage and providing I deliver). I am also addicted to work, so I work 10 to 14 hour workdays during high season, sometimes sleeping at work to get more hours; and on weekends I party hard to balance it, lots of friends, people, family, food, sleep, dance and alcohol.

A good work ethic for me is.. never work where you sleep/eat/rest/socialize; example: at home. I get so distracted so easily. So I go far away to work, generally by bike (keep the flat nerd butt healthy and pump blood to the brain, also to aid sleep) and when I'm there, turn the internet off to focus and work. Only use the internet for tutorials or a mental break.

This month is slow cause it's holidays and we just finished a major production, so we can take it easy.

But with that said.. most of the projects I work on aren't technically "mine" because it's for work and mainly television.

My private projects... on the other hand... take forever, if at all........

But when you find a job in animation or any production for television, gaming, or cinematography.... you get paid to do what you love, and it's the best way to go. :) Then all the time you have to spend working, the 9 to 5.. well.. is time spent on doing what you love.

@ RAYMAN

Good idea on learning only a couple of render engines. Cause of work I have to stick to the industry standard using Mental Ray...... but I would love to learn Vue, I agree totally, for entire worlds, it's the way to go!! I will experiment with compositing the more I learn it.
I would love to learn how to use the beta of Arnold, which I found online somewhere, or some other GPU based engine, but I have yet to find one I like that also does good animation and integrates into Softimage seemlessly.

Do you have other work done with Vue to showcase? Would be awesome if you setup some tutorials to your work. I'd study them for sure!! :worship:

RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

I will post some of my new stuff pretty soon.. I´ve got an endless list of projects that i´ve started with that got halted when my old
computer broke down ( harddiscs).. losing your harddiscs twice is a bit...uuummmm distracting..... :D
Peter

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last day of work for the year :cry: :cry: but this is it!!!

I did a pass based render, and have this final render (with some shadow and apha errors) at 00:12:20 a frame at 720P HD.

The numbers are satisfactory for this quadcore, and I am yet to work on a depth pass, maybe change lights and work on an AO pass and then work on my compositing workflow. :D

My boss if happy with the numbers so far, I am not. But our production flow will be smart.

So, a wide shot at 12 minutes and a half is not so bad... not so bad. Not bad for my first Pass based render!!! Working on it! Loving on how to do passess!! =)

Goal:
00:09:00

Pass1
00:01:25

Pass2
00:04:40
(trees & low quality lights)

Pass3
00:02:15

Pass4
00:01:19

Pass5
00:01:02

Pass6&7
00:01:40

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

OK! Today was the official first day of work for the year! I am so happy!!! I love 3D. But tonight I'm going to DJ the night away!

No progress, just flower models! I have to make like 5 or 6 of them, and they all have personalities, and talk.

I'll start a new WIP.