BP Machine MMC Nov-Dec 2011

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

BP Machine MMC Nov-Dec 2011

Post by Finis »

To make gears I started with a cylinder. Then I selected some of the faces around the edge in point edit mode and used point edit scale to move them in or out. That made the teeth. The detail on the sides is from moving some faces and using bevel in point edit.
Attachments
BPM_Demo1.jpg
BPM_wireDemo1.jpg
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
bitkar
Captain

Re: BP Machine MMC Nov-Dec 2011

Post by bitkar »

oh ya, i forgot, i should mention the plugin named Gear Generator - geargen :) Maybe that can speed things up. but its not too complicated to make gear anyway.

So far very nice start, we need more gears! :)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I'm not sure if I found the geargen you wrote about Bitkar. I found a geargen plugin for Rhino and this http://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I made a few screen grabs from the online one. The download demo makes distorted images and dxf files. The paid version looks good if you make money from 3D gears or just can afford it as a toy.

I'll model a few gears with radial arrays of teeth and various inner wheels or discs. Here is a gear with spokes and a prototype machine. The prototype helped with overall style, spacing, and sizing of components. It also revealed some mechanical flaws.

This will get steampunk details and textures.
Attachments
BPM_Demo_MachinePrototype.jpg
BPM_Demo_Gear1A.jpg
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Those are amazing gears. Is the second gear made by hand? Or did the Rhino plugin also do that one?
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks Draise. All of these gears are hand made. I don't have Rhino so I didn't get the plugin.

I made the orange gear using the reference image shown. The image is a screen grab from the online gear thing at the link above. I made a tooth and then a radial array of teeth. Then I point edited a cylinder for the beveled inner disc. Then I made a shape to cut the spaces between spokes, radial arrayed it, and Booleaned it from the disc. That way I can make several disc designs and put the same teeth on them. I'll do that for a few more gears.

The earlier gears are from cylinders with point editing to push, pull, and bevel faces.

The prototype machine had too many gears and couldn't have functioned. Its bars connecting the discs on the ends would hit each other or the axles. Next is a new prototype with those corrected. The final might get chain drives instead of discs and bars.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

hey, very nice MMC project! Will someone compete against you??

check this attachement out ;)
Attachments
geargen.7z
gear generator plugin for truespace
(52.45 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks Bitkar. I'll try the plugin. Where did you get it? If I can make many different types of gears with it then I might use many different ones.

Here is an improved prototype machine and a massive one made with copies. The regular one is the one for the project.
Attachments
BPM_Demo_MachinePrototype.jpg
BPM_MachineMassive.jpg
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Geargen crashed TS 7.6 and TS 5. A warning said it was for TS 4 so I guess this plugin meant it.

Here are Gears 1A, 1B, and 2A.
Attachments
BPM_Demo_G1A_G1B_G2A.jpg
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

These are seriously looking fantastic. I'd love to try compete =)
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Draise wrote:I'd love to try compete
Then do.

These are probably the teeth for the gears. Each gear is a group with teeth and a disk. I'll make a few different disks/spokes and mix them with the teeth rings for variety. One gear has a bump map border. I'll apply bumps for style.
Attachments
BPM_DemoGears_2.jpg
BPM_DemoGearComponents.jpg