ANIMATION CONTEST 2010 / 02

Rotcorp
Petty Officer First Class

Re: ANIMATION CONTEST 2010 / 02

Post by Rotcorp »

I'd love to enter but unfortunately, my short won't be finished until slightly after the contest (probably done the end of april, first week of may). :( Oh well. Good luck everyone. Looking forward to watching this.
LeonRegis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

That's really sad. I'm also on problems, I just don't have any time to produce my animation. So I'm really sorry guys, I'm bad with myself too.

I'll be creating a poll for extend this contest, so you might have a chance Rotcorp. But then this contest will have 3 months... Also we hadn't many enters, thanks to our restless Jeff and Marcel! ;)
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Animation need a lot of time but the activity of the forum is very slow. About my project B.O.T., i begin the part 5 who will be the most important part. Also i improved many old scenes from the first part since a few months. The result is much better than what I posted on youtube with more movement and action. I would start a wip to show the update hoping it will have more activity here. it's not very motivating to spend time to make a wip in these conditions.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
Rotcorp
Petty Officer First Class

Post by Rotcorp »

I don't exactly have a wip, but you did say that we could explain how we did the animation. I'll try to keep it brief.

Most of the animation uses TS 6.6 and native bones, though quite a few things used motion studio (lizard, blue pig guy). I would render each layer (background, character, forground) seperately and composite them together in After Effects. The shadows under the characters are usually the original TGA of the character scaled and applied with alpha silhouette transfer mode.
Lip sync took a while to work out. I tried facial animator... used a stock head, got it to talk, then animated my characters to sync up tot hat. This method was hit and miss. What ended up working was to open up the dialogue file in Adobe Premiere, open my scene in Truespace, and use Premiere to find dialogue phonemes, then go into truespace, find the corresponding frame number and change the facial expression to match the sound using the deformation tool. I started using this method at the line "Why not, it's worked so well thus far" spoken by the "little acorn guy". You can tell the difference.

Most of the animation doesn't need an explaination as it's pretty straight forward, but if anyone is curious about how anthing was done I'll gladly explain.
...hope this follows what you intended as an explaination.
Here's my entry...if there's still time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k2yH90P1Ow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Hey when is the contest over, or did it get extended.
LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

It has been extended for the last time, by this poll: http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... =44&t=1733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Here is a short animation that is going to actually be part of a longer animation when finished.
The dragon model, the original base model was from 3D Universe, I took the raw model (OBJ) and changed alot of features.
I used Argile and TS 4.3 to change the model for my use. The model was then imported into Poser where I created a custom set of bones. The Viking guy is an orginal character design done in TS and Argile then imported into Poser. The main background you see was done in VUE7 and saved as a TGA and then painted onto a one sided plane. The trees and weeds you see in the foreground were created using Tree Generator and exported as a OBJ into Poser where they were then sized and textured. Same applies for the rock, the grass is the ground plane re-textured using a grass texture.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TUTl9vfNZOE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TUTl9vfNZOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Hey is anyone out there still interested in the animation contest or did we all go on a break for the summer. :)
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

The guy being blasted by the fire-balled pork & bean back blaster (dragon fart)
would look better if he doubled over first, then sent backwards.

I took a breather to enjoy the great outdoors. My intention is to return
after the summer with a vengeance! (I too eat fire-ball back blaster
pork and beans...) :oops:

I will respond to personal emails but with a drunken slur... :bananacheers:
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

Steinie,
I have been doing the same thing here taking some time to ride the dirt bike in the woods and go fishing.
Its good to get away from the norm for awhile and have some fun.