Question - Poly-by-Poly modeling in old 6.6...How?

Legacy tS 6.6
Krowbarh
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Question - Poly-by-Poly modeling in old 6.6...How?

Post by Krowbarh »

Hello...Was trying to figure out how to produce poly-by-poly modeling in tS6.6. The ONLY thing I can find is the 'Draw Face' portion of the CK PolyTools plugin. Is that it? Any other tips on this? I prefer to do bodies by volume modeling but faces via poly-by-poly method then weld the two.
seppgirty
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Question - Poly-by-Poly modeling in old 6.6...How?

Post by seppgirty »

No, not that i know of. Usually just have to box modeling. sorry.
truespace 3.2, 5.2, 6.6, ani-pack, flash plugin,........ you can check out my films athttp://www.chaosbrosfilms.com
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

if i understand you right... you can make a plane and then add edges, points, faces...
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Krowbarh

Post by Krowbarh »

Thanks all...It seems to be able to do some polygon-by-polygon modeling, but in a method that is not enjoyable or too productive. It just isn't setup well for it.

I remember seeing some video that Roman Ormandy did where he stated that "trueSpace can now do any kind of modeling and create any kind of shape".

Apparently the simplest but most efficient method of poly-by-poly was neglected...or forgotten.

Metasequoia does poly-by-poly quite well...The older 3.14 can handle twice the viewport poly count that the newer 4.x can for the same amount of chugging...FYI.
FHembree
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by FHembree »

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking but CK poly tools can do more than just draw faces. See image attached.
For me, after drawing a poly I used extrude edges to create rest of connected faces for modeling, followed by bridge edges and/or weld edges as needed. :)
Of course, to use bridge edges for the other polys, you needed to boolean combined the second polys objects to the first poly objects.

It's been years ago but after discovering exactly what you are saying I used to use Silo 3d because I think it allowed one to do exactly what you are saying.
It was the first program that I really learned the basics of poly modeling. The thing I like about silo at the time was it had a 3d gizmo for moving and extruding
vertices, edges, faces and etc but TS did not.

Now I just use TS7.61 workspace side and do all with box modeling, although TS workspace side can do most of the things that poly tools did but a whole lot
easier and lots faster, and workspace side has a 3d gizmo for manipulating vertices, edges, and faces.
Attachments
PolyTools.jpg
Krowbarh

Post by Krowbarh »

Hey thank you FHembree...Yes, That answered the question. Have played with tS in this manner & that is what I am talking about.

Am reviewing some of the tut videos as I have forgot a thing or two...

After that I hope to be able to bring in ref images...Hopefully they can be attached to a 2 plane cross at the center. Then I plan to try modeling a face in tS using poly-by-poly.

Thanks again...ALL OF YOU!