Can i release gameSpace and trueSpace for illustrators ?

Legacy tS 6.6
Cellulo
Lieutenant
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Can i release gameSpace and trueSpace for illustrators ?

Post by Cellulo »

Well i have GameSpace 1.6 in this last version and also the last trueSpace 6.6 ( for illustrators ), can i release them for the community on my homepage or it's a problem with Microsoft, i ask this because these versions of trueSpace are old and have the same features than the Modelside released inside tS 7.6 and tS7.61 free versions, gameSpace have only some plugins exporters for games that are not present in trueSpace or partially present in my Modelside 2.1 version.

In fact i want to change all the UI icons of these old software with the new icons from tS7.6, adding new setup file installation also with all plugins from my modelside 2.1 version, gameSpace don't need the rendering plugins due to the limitations texturing size and rendering possibility, also remove puppeter plugin because is not free.
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Can i release gameSpace and trueSpace for illustrators ?

Post by clintonman »

Microsoft is the only one that can answer that question. It has been more than 9 years since gameSpace was available and even longer since the last update. Some old info here:
http://web.archive.org/web/200706241531 ... e/spec.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only thing for sure is that you would have to remove the Milkshape exports since they are still selling it. http://www.milkshape3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
Cellulo
Lieutenant
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by Cellulo »

Yes i think you have right Clintonman, then i will keep these files in my hard disk for the history of trueSpace and release them when it's really ok in the futur or never.

Microsoft can use google to find the last community of trueSpace users that is here and give us the source code of trueSpace but it's only a dream.
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

Cellulo wrote:
Microsoft can use google to find the last community of trueSpace
They could, but they'd probably just use Bing.
seppgirty
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by seppgirty »

They could, but they'd probably just use Bing.
Not even MS uses bing. :bananacool2: All though Bill Gates still rocks a zune.
truespace 3.2, 5.2, 6.6, ani-pack, flash plugin,........ you can check out my films athttp://www.chaosbrosfilms.com
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Why is it so difficult to understand one of the most beneficial concepts of all time -- property? TS belongs to MS. You can't "release" (make copies available, distribute, ...) any of it without their permission. There is no such thing as "abandon ware". After many years the copyright and patents, if any, will expire and then you can do that. Can you get away with it? MS is notorious for mercilessness in this ... if they care. In practice it is difficult for companies/people to stop thieves from distributing copies. MS doesn't seem to care what is done with TS. Neither means it is legal to distribute it.

I may be wrong but the workspace only version was legally available for free download wasn't it? If so it may or may not be legal for others (not MS or Caligari) to put that somewhere for downloads. Depends on the contract, the eula. Probably it was only legal to download from that MS/Caligari place for a limited time.

I liked Bing. Now I mostly use Duck Duck Go or Startpage because MS is now almost as evil as google.
Mice die in traps because they don't know why the cheese is free. -- seen on a bumper sticker
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

trueSpace 7.61 beta 8 was released with the ModelSide and Workspace for free publically, free for distribution and use. In the EULA there is a term that says any term in the conditions can be modified at any time. They officially announced it free, thus modifying the terms.. so it can be downloaded and shared. As far as I know the letter Roman Ormandy wrote mentioned that it stick around like that.. thus the Rosetta name with the WS standalone.

I think it's a human right to have access to old software as much as we can with books in libraries, items in museums, and right to be Amish with antiquated tech (and with minor upgrades).

It's still a very new law field, as as much as abandonware, EOL software and all that - there are new legal terms being built for it and around it - and should. This is something law has only thought about for the past 10 years or so, so I think it must be set out by popular need.. which is by access to history in a technological and software orientated age. I would include games and emulators to that too.

The current copywrite of nearly 80-100 years after the copywrite before it is public domain is ridiculous for technology. Sometimes tech won't work in 10 years! Public domain should be a lot less for software - and that law should be built by demand and common practice.

I would release it, why not? Cloud source the history of Caligari. If they sign a letter to cease and desist - which is a requirement before they sue - do it.. but meanwhile, don't worry about it.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

patents and copyrights that last way too long are the break of evolution. Nothing should be held that long. Expecially when its not being sold anymore.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Krowbarh
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Krowbarh »

Well there are 2 abandonware sites on the net...Between the two there is every version 1 thru 6 of trueSpace...I guess those guys don't have a problem with microsoft.
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

Sadly, fear of releasing copyrighted property is the big thing rather then being sued by the owner of the product itself and it's probably why it's what keeps most stuff from being released like old software or any other thing. I believe that as long as the releaser isn't actually selling the product the owner would probably careless if it's released for public use. If Microsoft actually cared it would have shutdown the torrent sites long ago? As I mentioned above fear; is a powerful deterrent and most people just don't think it's worth the chance of getting into hot water over releasing old software on the web. Leroy.