Plugin: tSxMultiText

Legacy tS 6.6
Fenerit
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Plugin: tSxMultiText

Post by Fenerit »

tSxMultiText.png
Merry Christmas to all! Place text on Z axis and more, since I found that to click on the scene's plane for writing the text is somewhat dangerous for certain 3D models with which I dealt with; in this manner I can work on the texts away from the rest (also on another layer but, more or less, in the same Z position), before to be accurately assessted with the usual tools. It could be useful to construct array of texts.
All user settings are hold as long as the dialog plugin is closed through its close button and not through tS itself.
No registry entries.

LIMITATIONS:
- No rotational transformation matrix is performed; the plugin follows correct rotations only in 3D reset view and on top view;
- tSxapi short style is set as TEXT_STYLE_NONE, since I found that no other styles works, neither if the font's name is specified inside the code; thus to display bold or italic must be installed a fonts itself shaped apart with that feature, and not as one of its styles (there are lot for free on the net of such a fonts).
- Yet another API limitation is that not all fonts are managed; some default installed system fonts does crashes tS when the tsxTextCreate API try to call it; thus the plugin is shipped with a "FontExclusionList.ini" file in which to write fonts that are found to crash tS. Up to 20 entries are allowed; the fonts' names must be written like are displayed within the plugin's fontlist, blank spaces included. The font(s) will be not removed; the plugin just will prevent their use. Default fonts that I've found crashing tS are:
Courier
Fixedsys
MS Serif
MS Sans Serif
Small Fonts
System
All these are already set within the exclusion list.
Note that these fonts are correctly displayed only through the common tS text tool; thus I think that the tsxapi for the text doesn't work like would be and is a bit buggy and incomplete. Anyhow, one can try whether on own system they are working by removing them from the exclusion list. Do not erase the file, though. Plugin developed and tested on tS 6.6; it would work for tS 5.1 and above.
tSxMultiText.zip
(19.17 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Cellulo
Lieutenant

Re: Plugin: tSxMultiText

Post by Cellulo »

Thanks Fenerit another useful plugin from you. Can i add your plugins in my next update ?
Fenerit

Post by Fenerit »

Cellulo wrote:Thanks Fenerit another useful plugin from you. Can i add your plugins in my next update ?
Yes, you can do what you want with my plugins; they are FREE and must remains FREE.
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Thank you for this new tool Fenerit.
It is good to have that alternative way to generate a text at once rather than typing it in the 3D space. Also, I like the text preview very much. It is sad that the styles can't work though.

I wonder if you could add an option to set a distance/spacing between letters.
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by BNG »

Thanks for releasing this. Leroy. :bananacheers:
Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

Wow ...I could have used this recently! :bananacheers:

I will be using now though! Thanks! :bananacheers:

I had a request...

Is there a way to edit the text once you have placed it?

Say I type something out...maybe it says: "North Side View". I copy that so I have 2. Is there a way of editing the text in the copied one to say: "South Side View"...or is retyping the whole thing my only option?
Fenerit

Post by Fenerit »

I'm afraid of not. Once the API creates the text, the resulting GNode is uneditable. Yes, you must re-typing, at least the word "South". You can write the text "North Side View" within the first textbox and the text "South Side View" within the second textbox, though. All boxes are mutually independent, also about on where to place their content, as long as their controls does changes.
Rhino169

Post by Rhino169 »

Ohhh!...yes now I see!...That IS really cool. Now I can type many things the same farmat and dump theem in and move them around as needed.

Double Awesome! :bananacool2:
Fenerit

Post by Fenerit »

:bananacool2:
Fenerit

Post by Fenerit »

tSx Multi Text v.1.1.
tSxMultiText_1.1.png
FIXES:
- right placement of the selection's bounding box;
- weird behaviour between views and axes normalization refresh;
- messages handling for unsupported layout views;
- minor fixes;

CHANGES:
- regression: removed the rotation option;
- axes normalization as separate option;
- "clear" button no longer reset the slides values;
- minor cosmetics:

ADDS:
- "lock & align" text option. Automatic option to align left the text lines sequence;
- "spacing" option to set the paragraph interline. This option is unactive in free edit mode ("lock & align" unchecked);

INSTALLATION:
1) Extract the zip folder within the "..\tsx\" directory.
2) Search for "tSxMultiText.tsx" through the usual "Install new trueSpace eXtension" icon.
tSxMultiText_1.1.zip
(21.79 KiB) Downloaded 287 times