VRML 2.0 plugin or importer?

Legacy tS 6.6
Galane
Chief Petty Officer

VRML 2.0 plugin or importer?

Post by Galane »

Is there some way to get VRML 2.0 scenes into tS 6.6? I never could figure out WTH it could *save* VRML 2.0 format but not *open* it.
Tiles
Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: VRML 2.0 plugin or importer?

Post by Tiles »

Nope. VRML2 is a one way ticket. And pretty outdated too :)
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http://reinerstilesets.de
Galane
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Galane »

Any way to convert 2.0 to 1.0 or extract the model data to some format tS can import?
Tiles
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Tiles »

Not that i know of any. As told, it`s a one way ticket.
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http://reinerstilesets.de
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by BNG »

You could try importing and exporting VRML via the modelside of 7.61. I don't really know if it actually works, but TS 6.6 says it's possible. Give it a try and post the results if anything works.

I believe it's TS6 files>load>scene>wrl and TS6 files>save>scene>wrl. TS may very well give you an error message, but it's worth a try I guess.

Update: when you save it as wrl uncheck the VRML 2.0 box. It will load vrml version 1 as I just tested this out.
Last edited by BNG on 30 Nov 2016, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Galane
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Galane »

The model side in 7.61B8 with that unofficial update doesn't grok VRML 2.0 either. Tried the workspace side too and it doesn't appear to even support VRML 1.0. Tried going down to all files and got an error message.

I haven't done more than just dink around a bit with workspace. Where's the Save As and saving the scene and saving an object? There's just Save.

VRML 1 and 2 are both plain text, which may be gzipped. That's easy to fix, if you open them in Notepad and get gibberish, change the extension to .gz and extract with WinRAR or WinZIP or 7zip.

It should be possible to write a little program or even a batch file that can parse the VRML 2.0 3D object data and write it out into VRML 1.0 format.

It would be easy to create simple WRL files to see what the data format is and how to convert from 2.0 to 1.0. Make a cube and quad divide it a couple of times then save the scene in 2.0 and 1.0 formats.

What would have been far far better is for Caligari to have made trueSpace able to load VRML 2.0. When I first ran into that I thought "WTH is this? A DOS program from the 80's?". I've encountered several programs that could not open every format they could save to.
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

As Clinton already mentioned VRML is a pretty old format. Which is probably why many of us still use 7.61 beta 8 and it's invaluable set of older modelside importer and exporter formats. Apparently, like you, I work with older model formats and find that having both a newer and older modeling software version is the best possible workaround for our modeling needs.

More then likely you'd have to write an RSX plugin yourself as there's no real demand anymore for an older format like VRML 1 or 2 that I'm aware of ATM. Try installing beta 8 to compliment your Rosetta installation that would allow you to do what you want to do. I work with an older DirectX version myself and support for it is dwindling quite rapidly, but I work around the issue with the beta 8 version of Truespace and am quite happy and grateful for the modeling tools I have. Cheers, BNG.
Cayenne
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Cayenne »

Not sure if this file format converter will work , http://www.micromouse.ca/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; pretty reasonable priced tool, looks like it can read and write vrml 1 and 2 formats , might give a way in and out for you .

regards
Paul
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

Cayenne wrote:Not sure if this file format converter will work , http://www.micromouse.ca/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; pretty reasonable priced tool, looks like it can read and write vrml 1 and 2 formats , might give a way in and out for you .

regards
Paul
Another free option is using an older 1.5.5. version of 3D Exploration and it supports both VRML 1 and 2 and can import COB and SCN formats. A very useful converter for using with older model formats. Do as search for it or visit my modding forum for a link to where you can get it.
Galane
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Galane »

Can it open VRML 2.0 then save to VRML 1.0?