Render Problems

Legacy tS 6.6
TransKim
Petty Officer Third Class

Render Problems

Post by TransKim »

Hullo folks,

Why is my ts taking alot of time to render ?
Is there any plugin that can speed up the render time ? if so please link me to that page.
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Render Problems

Post by v3rd3 »

Managing the speed of your render is one of those whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

You need a good cpu and significant memory on your pc to get the most benefit out of your hardware.

Other things to keep in mind to reduce render times include;

- keeping your poly count as low as is reasonable
- using as few light sources as is necessary to properly illuminate your scene (more lights requires more processor)

Factors that can increase render times (not necessarily bad things, but things that can make the render take more time ) ...

- large texture maps..... avoid 512x512 when 256x256 will do
- procedural textures (shaders) will add a lot of time to a render if you use a lot of them or if you use computationally large shaders .... animated magma will take a lot more horsepower than a static cellular texture.

The worst thing, watching your screen while a render is being done. The old adage a watched pot never boils never thought of a 3d artist waiting for a render.... I swear some of my renders lasted longer than an eon....

There was at one time a plug in to distribute renders (lightworks) on the model side but I do not believe it is available any more (legally that is).

If you are rendering an animation on the workspace side you might consider installing TS on multiple machines and then having each machine do a small group of frames. It is free so you can take advantage of that method. If you have 7.6 this will work on both the model and workspace side.

If you are having specific issues with a scene try posting it here. There are many willing hands to help solve problems.
Jimmer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Jimmer »

TrueSpace's "LightWorks" is a very fast renderer. You must be asking it
to do quite a lot. Most times scenes can be cleaned-up/ scaled back to
speed up rendering. I have a 3.4GHZ P4/ single core/ 2 GIGs Ram...
tS flys... Question... Do you have any of your objects ACTUALLY
emitting LIGHT ? (Because that can S L O O O W things down quite a bit).
nigec
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by nigec »

Lightworks is really quick usually, all the other options; Dribble, Vray, Yafaray etc wouldn't be any faster usually they are a lump slower
TransKim

Post by TransKim »

Thanks all for the response, am using lightworks but i think i have alot of vertices in my models, could it be the one slowing my render times?
marcel
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by marcel »

It depends what you mean by a slow render time. Without concrete example, the question is too vague.
Time to render decrease with:
better cpu
more ram
less vertices
less number of objects
less light
less size of textures
less antialiasing
less size of the render
etc...
Each thing multiplied rendering time. You must adjust all, depending on the capacity of your hardware. Question of experience and common sense.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
TransKim

Post by TransKim »

Alright I have attached my scene that takes lot of time to render.

My computer specs are:
Processor : 2.00GHz
RAM : 504
HDD : 500GB

I don't know if this info is enough to solve my problem

NB: I applied two objects of each object you see in the scene. But because of the restrictions on the uploads i removed some to minimize on size of the file to be uploaded.
Attachments
newscene1.rar
My scene that take me time to render.
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 247 times
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Are you on TS 6.6 or TS 7.6 model side?
I just saved a copy of your scene and the size is now 1.69 megas (your scene is 9.36 megas).
Maybe the difference is because i have the bridge off if i suppose you are on TS 7.6 or 7.61.
But the real problem seem your ram. 504 megas is not enought. The os and TS need more (and you need ram for the scene too). Do you hard disk work a lot when you do the render? if yes, that is the problem. TS use virtual memory and it is very low with the rendering (too many access on hard drive).
Also your scene is not complex and i can render it with a normal speed.
TransKim

Post by TransKim »

Yes I use TS 7.6 model side.
Thanks marcel that means I need to upgrade my RAM for optimal performance.
Did my scene render fast on your machine ?
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

On my old notebook (core duo 2 ghz) with 2 gigas ram the scene need just several secondes for the render on screen (1440x900). no antialiasing, lightwork render engine. It is a simple scene and i found no problem. The only thing i can't test is the texture because i have not them when i load the scene. but i don't think it is the problem.