camera to get rid of distortion

bkjernisted
Chief Petty Officer

camera to get rid of distortion

Post by bkjernisted » 27 May 2009, 02:41

Prodigy is this possible in LW. Did anyone implement the 35mm camera you have talked about before. I don't understand any of this because I'm new to it. I think Jack mentioned that yafaray has the feature to get rid of distortion.. Has anyone seen the renders of Fryrender. Pretty amazing. I was looking at c4d renders and almost everyone except for the work of one architect, had artifacts or jagged edges along straight surfaces. Anyways check out fryrender and tell me what you think. Maybe someone could make a plugin for it.Iso/Axono-metric Camera For 7.5 by Dele; is this useful for getting rid of distortion. Will Yafaray render anywhere near as well as fryrender does.

First Light
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: camera to get rid of distortion

Post by First Light » 27 May 2009, 03:29

Hi bkjernisted,

I think I understand that you want to minimize certain types of distortion when a scene is rendered. Obtaining a high-quality renderer can go a long way to reduce many forms of distortion.

But some readers of this thread may misunderstand the general subject of "spacial distortion". It is impossible to remove ALL spacial distortion. Cartographers have understood this for centuries. Whenever a three-dimensional space is "mapped" onto a two-dimensional image, you must accept some form of spacial distortion. Many different methods (called "projections") have been developed to create wide-view maps that accept different forms of distortion depending on the purpose of the map. We've all seen these maps every time we view a flat map of the entire earth.

Photographers must deal with the same thing and this is the analog that trueSpace uses. If the angle of view is not too great, then most lenses use a "rectilinear" projection which appears to have very little spacial distortion. But as the angle of view becomes large, even a rectilinear projection will show noticeable distortion along the edges of the image as proportions elongate. Many wide angle lenses use either an "equisolid" projection or an "equidistant" projection which gives the familiar "fisheye" appearance with lots of "barrel" distortion as you move from the center of the field of view. To emulate the "look" of a photograph with a 3D model, the renderer will need to emulate the projection used by the desired camera lens.

If you want to render a scene where your viewpoint (virtual camera) is close to a large object (like a building) so that a large angle of view is required, then you will have some sort of obvious distortion and the type will depend on the virtual lens projection used by the renderer.

The quality and detail of the 3D model can also have a strong affect on apparent distortion when small areas close to the virtual camera appear very large.

In summary, we can't eliminate spacial distortion when we render a 3D world into a 2D image. All we can do is control it for the most desirable effect.

Best regards, First Light

bkjernisted
Chief Petty Officer

Post by bkjernisted » 27 May 2009, 05:23

Thanks for sharing your knowledge First Light! I'm seriously thinking of buying Fryrender for it's camera corrections, it's walkthrough capabilties, and it's realistic rendering. I need to see if one can apply baked textures with it. I know they have an addon that will exchange materials on objects.

Jack Edwards
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Jack Edwards » 27 May 2009, 06:55

Parva's the one you want to ask about Fryrender. He's been using it for a long time. I think he uses 3DSMax to create the scenes though.
No booleans were used in the mangling of this message... :?

YafaRay for trueSpace Project

(Current version: v0.7.0)

trueSpacePlugins.com