New to TS7.61 (6.6) - Need some hints/help

trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: New to TS7.61 (6.6) - Need some hints/help

Post by trueBlue »

If you are more interested in using the Model side, I would suggest using tS76 verses tS761
I would also suggest using Workspace's Boolean tools!
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

tS can import/export OBJ natively, or there is a TSX import/export plugin which sometimes does a better job.

btw: i dont remember loft tool for polygon objects in earlier versions of tS. Its allways been for curves/NUBRBS.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

Johnnycrash wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 23:06 4) Loft?? There was a TSx for 4.0 that would allow you to load a series of bulkheads (single plane objects), and it would "skin" over them, conforming the shape from one to the next. You end up with a solid, editable object to play with. Like taking the cross sections of an airplane, and being able to make the fuselage. Can TS6.6 do this, or is there a TSx to do it?? Thanks again.
bitkar wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 23:26 4) there is a loft function, but its for NURBS object, you can then covert it to a mesh/polygon object.
Johnnycrash wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 23:40 4) Only with NURBS eh?? Well, that sucks. :(
I just got what your "sad" icon means.
What bitkar wrote is of tS6.6's NURBS. tS4 does not have them and only has a "NURBS Object" icon AFAIK. I'm making images for explanation from screen shots of tS4 and tS6.6 now. please wait a bit.
(Edited to correct: tS6.6's "NURBS primitives" -> tS6.6's NURBS)

(Edited to add)
I use tS4.3 trial version here and don't know difference between tS4.0 and tS4.3. Perhaps the "NURBS Object" feature would be same each other.
1a.jpg
Johnnycrash, probably your image of NURBS would be:
3a.jpg
3a.jpg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
The image below is of tS6.6.
2a.jpg
As bitkar wrote, tS6.6's loft results tS6's NURBS (objects). It's completely different from the tS4's NURBS.

I hope another card (in the making) helps your loft work.
Quick card for Model side modeling, opinion plz
Follow "2D Curve" in the righthand side: DrawPanel -> 2D Curve -> Loft/Rail icons -> Profile Curves + Rail Curves -> NURBS -> Polyhedron.
For details, please refer the official/unofficial PDF Manual and/or tutorials.

Did tS6.6 throw the feature away? No. The icon doesn't exist (also in "Icon Helper") AFAIK, but the feature remains and can be executed from extension by the tsxNURBMake() API funtion. (I realized that 2 days ago while testing my tSX, ptsxpy)
For your information, the Python code for ptsxpy is:

Code: Select all

import ptsxpy as p
cb1 = p.CreateCube( 1, 1., 1., 1. )
p.SceneAddObject( cb1, e_tsxFALSE )
p.NURBMake( cb1 )
p.SceneDraw()
(Edited to add the line "For details ..." and to correct tense of the line "...throw")
(Edited to correct "different with"->"...from")
Last edited by borgcone on 17 Mar 2022, 15:31, edited 4 times in total.
borgcone ... or 3DfromNULL at https://biglode.com/ptsxpy
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

oh you are right... SDS - subdivision surfaces were named Nurbs in old tS... I forgot that. I mean the new NURBS objects made out of splines. Good point.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

bitkar wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 14:35 ... SDS - subdivision surfaces were named Nurbs in old tS...
In addition, tS4-tS5's SDS seems to have no multiple subdivision layer. I felt SDS is useless till I understand tS6.6's SDS.
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

SUKININ-KUN Version 1.01
http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/~hamano/TS/ts000.htm

I did not try it and I do not know if it works in current tS versions
Maybe borgcone knows this developer
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

I made a patchworked screen shot because tS4's toolbar cannot be maximized unlike tS6.6. I hope this helps we share the image of the tS4.3 toolbars (it could be different from tS4.0):
4a.jpg
To know icon names, an archived Caligari official card would be convenient (see the 1st link):
trueSpace4 quick reference guide
Johnnycrash wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 23:06 4) Loft?? There was a TSx for 4.0 ... load a series of bulkheads (single plane objects), and it would "skin" over them, ... Can TS6.6 do this, or is there a TSx to do it?? Thanks again.
borgcone wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 13:05 Follow "2D Curve" in the righthand side: DrawPanel -> 2D Curve -> Loft/Rail icons -> Profile Curves + Rail Curves -> NURBS -> Polyhedron.
I wrote about the approach via loft/rail tools but there are other non-tS4 approches to do skinning or cross-section/latitude/longitude operation in tS6.6 model side. Brief picture-story-show for your information:
5a.png
(typo in image above: irreversible)

Folloing tS6.6 tools (that probably don't exist in tS4) may also help skinning or similar work.
- Tools for NURBS: blend surface, stitch, cap, trimming curve, scissor patch, etc.
- Tools for polyhedron: slice object, polygon slice, polygon bevel, etc.
trueBlue wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 16:03 SUKININ-KUN ... Maybe borgcone knows this developer
trueBlue, I know the famous tool but don't know him. I would like to invite him here but the inquiry form page seems to be closed.