The staying power of Truespace is incredible!

BNG
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

The staying power of Truespace is incredible!

Post by BNG »

Don't really make stuff for Battlezone II like I did in the past, but still use TS Beta 8 almost every day at home and work. I figure I've created more then a thousand models and props for the game to date and still find using TS for new models and props a really enjoyable experience. I've yet to find a better overall 3d modeling application. Kudos to the original creators of Truespace and the small group of dedicated of 3d artists that keep TS relevant even today. Greetings to all of you, Leroy. A TS user for life.
wasphell.png
Finis
Captain

Re: The staying power of Truespace is incredible!

Post by Finis »

BNG is here!
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

trueSpace is one of the greatest pieces of software I've used, still love it and use it to this day! Glad to see you're still around BNG! :bananatyping:
the_ant
Chief Petty Officer

Post by the_ant »

From tSp3 found free on a magazine to 7.61b8 UU...i'm not a deep user (few animations experiments and no nurbs at all, only still imgs and now lots of stl for my 3d printer ender2) ...but when trying another software still back immidiately on the comfortable desk of Caligari (only unpredictable crashes had causes lost of works and this is the only bad thing i wish mighty team "trueBlue&clintonman" could resolve on the new workspace add-ons)

Best wishes from Italy :bananahi:
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

so true... if there was no trueSpace i wouldnt have gone into 3D at all propably.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

until now I only see the aging part of TS in its 32bit package..but I doubt that the software is written for 32bit only! Roman most certainly built the kernel around 64 bit..as ..he did also wisely use all cores of a processors!
Its not uncommon that parts of code remain 32 bit...even in newest software! You can see what runs under 32bit when only 2gig of ram are used...and throttle software down...!
I havent used TS on a large SSD as of yet..but it should speed up the software at least in theory..
!
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

RAYMAN wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 19:38
I havent used TS on a large SSD as of yet..but it should speed up the software at least in theory..
!
SSD? nope it will not speed it up. tS is pretty small.
Michal aka bitkar
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

yes TS is pretty small but the ram it uses after the buffer is filled should normaly come from the HD! If the HD is very fast that should speed it up on large..very large scenes thats my theory! Not as fast as with real ram because the bus to the rams is faster then to the ssd...but still a lot faster then a magnetic based HD!
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

which file is a tS cache/buffer? How large is it when you work with bigger scene? I have a feeling that tS doesnt save that much, but i dont really know, so i would like to have some facts about it. Maybe there is something about it.
Michal aka bitkar
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I think Rayman is writing about virtual memory. When a computer is out of RAM it starts using disk space as memory. Since a disk has much slower write/read everything gets very slow. So when VM is active a faster disk means less slow performance. 32 bits can store memory addresses for about 2GB. So a 32 program might think there is no more RAM although there actually is more.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero