Forums website expiring soon

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Forums website expiring soon

Post by Finis »

UPDATE: I investigated this with my account at GoDaddy.

I logged in to my account there, found the page showing my domain names, clicked Manage for one of them. There was a link to remove privacy. Clicking it removed the Private Registration. There was also a way to change the behavior of the private registration proxy on the Manage page. That is, if and how they forward contacts through whois to you.

End Update
---------
"GoDaddy's privacy partner, Domains by Proxy®, protects you from hackers, hijackers, and data miners by replacing your name, address and other details in the public WHOIS directory with its business address and phone number. You retain complete control of the domain, including the rights to sell, renew, cancel or transfer it."
https://www.godaddy.com/domains/full-do ... protection

I've seen complaints but they seem to be either with fake top/bottom reviews (5 stars or one star, none between), from competitors, unreliable sites or sources, or otherwise unreliable. Many seem designed to play on emotions or naivety. However, GoDaddy itself doesn't have a top level reputation and PR does seem like good target for scams such as Mikom described so some caution could be worthwhile.

One complaint that could be correct is that once you have private registration it is hard to renew the domain without the PR at GoDaddy. I noted that $28 to renew the domain name for a year must include the PR since just the domain name is not that much. I didn't look for a way to renew only the name so you could check on that if you don't want the PR. (See update above.)

InterServer, our hosting service, offers domain name registration. You could transfer the name there if you prefer not to use GoDaddy. I have the same set up for hosting and domain names with the same companies as U3DA for my sites. In my dealings with InterServer I have found them to be honest as well as able and helpful.
Last edited by Finis on 06 May 2020, 18:54, edited 3 times in total.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

My $25 USD on its way
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

We are now at $100 USD, nearly ready to do the rounds! Good work team! I'll take a look into the domain renewal later today.
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

Finis wrote: 06 May 2020, 01:17 InterServer, our hosting service, offers domain name registration. You could transfer the name there if you prefer not to use GoDaddy. I have the same set up for hosting and domain names with the same companies as U3DA for my sites. In my dealings with InterServer I have found them to be honest as well as able and helpful.
This seems to be the best idea without knowing the pros and cons.

Looks like InterServer has:
Price Lock Guarantee
The price you sign up for is your guaranteed price for Shared Hosting.
Renewal Cost
While our competitors have high renewal rates, InterServer does not!
$1.99 Domain Registration
Register or transfer your domain for $1.99 with the purchase of any web hosting package!
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

Sent contribution, but it said funds would be available June 6, 2020. Not sure why it's going to take a month.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

We are now sitting at ~$200 USD. Just a little more then I can also renew the hosting.

I'm really impressed and am heart-warmed by all the love put into this place. I'm glad to be able to see it continue.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Looks like that loan won't be needed. Just ask if you do need it. What about the funds availability date June 6 that Spacekdet mentioned? The domain name must be renewed before then.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
seppgirty
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by seppgirty »

When we pay, do we pay as goods and service? or do i uncheck that option and pay the $1.88 fee?
truespace 3.2, 5.2, 6.6, ani-pack, flash plugin,........ you can check out my films athttp://www.chaosbrosfilms.com
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I think there shouldn't be much issue to pay as goods and services. It is for a service after all. Go without the fee.
seppgirty
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by seppgirty »

thanks Draise.
truespace 3.2, 5.2, 6.6, ani-pack, flash plugin,........ you can check out my films athttp://www.chaosbrosfilms.com