Workflow..and TS..

RAYMAN
Captain

Workflow..and TS..

Post by RAYMAN »

Why is TS still respected..for its workflow?
Lets look at it closely...!
It had drag and drop libraries..long before the others had them..something Blender is still struggling with! It had heads up display modeling tools..widgets for everything!
A render preview window in the texture tool....list goes on and on!
Fully customisable workspace..and library for the workspaces....!
Just to name a few things!
These make life easier!
Whats it falling short in...well its the render solutions..and its the 32 bit thing that holds it back!
The modeler is still very good..! Booleans are pretty good for the age of the software!
So what would I suggest?
A render or scene setup hub of some kind to get full 64 bit scene management..and instancing...and integration into modern render solutions!
Whats probably the most likely way of doing it...well I suggest creating a hub to Blender 2.8!!!
That way TS would have access to free Prorender....otoy....Cycles..
Renderman....next to everything!
Second.... Blender needs better integration of assets!
I could imagine a hub that can be acessed from both TS and from Blender through drag and drop...!
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Workflow..and TS..

Post by Emmanuel »

Totally agree.
Interface and workflow are 50% of the job. Tools are about 30%. Talent does the rest.

Regarding the rendering features, Simon has made an incredible thing with Dribble that allows 3Delight's 64bits renderer within a trueSpace 3D window. Although I mostly render with V-Ray and Lightworks, I still belive 3Delight is the future of tS. At least for fur, displacement mapping and lightening (soft shadows are great !).

I just installed a fresh new PC configuration, running Windows 8.1 (I don't like Win10). I will install Dribble this week and report the installation steps to make it running.

Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

I will be watching regarding your install of Dribble because i too love that rendering method.
Yes please post the steps for successful utilization.
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

iam in with this opinion too. We need dribble to be well integrated and functional, like vray is. That would make tS great. Displacement mapping is something very useful and needed. Or the hub or anything... some kind of converter to renderers, anything. Rendering is something that needs to catch up, not the modeler. Thanks god for Vray tho.
Also some hassle-free exporter to unreal would be great. Something that would tranfer whole scene, objects, textures, even animations. So you can make some great animation in realtime if you need something fast.

yup, dreams :) we need dreams.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Bitkar I posted that but it costs around 400 $ but its worth every penny!!!!
It swallows every format including TS Cob and TS Scn and backwards and exports to next to every common format including..and thats the sensation Alias formats...!Its the only one in the industry that realy works...why.. because its the only company that has the info from the industry and doesnt have to reverse engeneer! Its Okino Nugraf! Or cheaper version Okino polytrans! You can try it out for free...there is a time unlimited trial wirh restrictions..watermarks and drops every 5.poly!!!
But good enough for evaluation!!!!
I have no connection whatsoever to that company..and give me free solutuons..Ill grab them anytime even more if integrated..but I havent seen anything that works! Even the chef of Blender had to admit it..its something that they are not succeeding with because of lack of insight..to the sdk of the file formats...thats the problem...

https://www.united3dartists.com/forum/v ... oly#p51911

https://www.okino.com/products.htm

Okino also exports to rib...which is every Renderman compliant render solution including Pixar ..Bmt or any sibling like Three delight likeDribble does!
Last edited by RAYMAN on 20 Nov 2018, 07:49, edited 3 times in total.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

20181120_083343.png
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

This is another one that isnt so expensive..and it works sort of well too I heard but havent had the chance to test on my own!

https://youtu.be/VBZlFLPlYWQ
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

Free Demo and $60 to purchase. I have not tried this one yet. Is this the same one you were talking about?
http://3doc.i3dconverter.com/
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Yes it has a lot of file formats but I dont know about the quality of the converter! Thats the bummer! File format exchange especially for the advanced formats other then obj is very very problematic to say the least! While we have tons of great free apps like Daz studio..very powerfull etc and Blender etc..in and out of the programs is a pain in the neck!
Everyone who uses Blender knows that..same as Daz!
Thats the field Im testing at the moment!
Thats very very frustrating to say the least! There are no real standards! Even fbx in Blender is partly broken!
Okino is an Industry standard that the studios use like Deep was years ago..but its real big bucks! Im testing it with the trial! It is one of the few left that can read and write TS cob and SCN files with everything including animations nurbs and hierarchys intact!
But Im not through with testing yet! Since the trial is partly disabled its free for testing! I would like to see what others find..when using it with TS! I will post some results! Also going to look into the cheap io converter! Has lots of formats but my hopes for fbx etc is pretty limited!!! To be honest!
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

i barely remember trying it out, or looking at it. I dont remember why i didnt choose it... maybe i will take a look once more. If this really works - i mean it gets an scn with all textures, UVs, objects, lights, settings and converts it to some kind of renderer and the scene will look the same, then its awesome. But i think you always need to readjust the materials and lighting. I need some more time. I will have some vacation in near future, so i will experiment with it.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)