Hello, anyone still here? :)

b_scotty
Petty Officer Third Class

Hello, anyone still here? :)

Post by b_scotty »

Hello everyone, I haven't posted here in a long time, since....(quick search) 2010 or so? I haven't done anything 3d related since Microsoft dropped trueSpace. Not that I had really done much even then. :) But that was the software I learned on, and I'm finally starting to feel the itch again. So I'm wondering, what are folks using these days? I don't know if trueSpace would even work on my current system anymore, since it seemed to be getting flakey on my windows 7 system at the time. I suppose my best option going forward would be Blender, since I can't justify buying another package just to doodle with. I just never really gelled with that interface, tS really spoiled me it seems. :)
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Hello, anyone still here? :)

Post by Draise »

Hey there! Yeah, still here. I have stopped using TS lately due to.. being busy. But I still like it and would like to try do a project in it one day - like some kind of hipster one.

I have since then moved onto Softimage, now onto Bforartists and Unreal Engine. Tiles from this forum has started up a fork of Blender, which is the Bforartists I mentioned. It's very cool because it has icons and Lclick and the UI is really cleaned up and more efficient to learn and use. Also open and free. Also, not that feature different than Blender.

Though, just to say, I've run trueSpace (mostly WS side) in Windows 10 with very little problems, if any at all, just the typical "Beta" type ones. I've crashed it a couple of time on rendering higher than 3K, but all is well.

Are you planning to pick 3D up again? What will be you first renewed step?
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

Hey... yep, we are still here, universe is still working well :D

And I still use trueSpace7.61 B8 on Windows10 with no problems in model side (just DX7 doesnt support my whole screen res, so i run it a bit smaller - aprox 2000px in width)
Iam also looking at BforArtists, but tS is still my no1. Clinton and trueBlue are working on current yafaray renderer now. So tS is still alive.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

I still lurk here with the best of them. I have not done any 3d for a long time myself. I am renovating my kitchen and my mother's house so I have little time for anything else.
Dragneye
Lieutenant

Post by Dragneye »

Wavin' Hello!
b_scotty

Post by b_scotty »

Draise wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 02:00 Tiles from this forum has started up a fork of Blender, which is the Bforartists I mentioned. It's very cool because it has icons and Lclick and the UI is really cleaned up and more efficient to learn and use. Also open and free. Also, not that feature different than Blender.

Oh, I didn't know about that, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the info :)
My first ever 3d software was Real 3d v2 on my trusty old Amiga 1200 way back in '93 or so. I tried the versions of POVRay that were around back then, and then one day stumbled across trueSpace 1.0 in a local software store, when those were still a thing. (I'm getting old! LOL) The interface blew me away, and I then purchased every upgrade to tS until it finally ended. I've never felt comfortable in any of the others. I'm a gigantic sifi fan, and doing spacescapes and starships was what always drew me to 3d. So to get back in, I'll try some simple scenes along those lines.

In the years since I've learned quite a lot about using software such as Photoshop and After Effects, and discovered a natural affinity for video editing, so ultimately I'd like to some animation work. But first, I have to learn how much I've forgotten about modelling and surfacing. :)

Nice to see folks still active around here, thanks for the welcome back :)
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

Hey! That's my story! Only I started with tS2.
Welcome back. :)
Might want to check out the updates for trueSpace here:
viewforum.php?f=55
b_scotty

Post by b_scotty »

I'm sure the story is not uncommon. :) Thank you for the link, I'll check it out. Now where did I archive all my tS stuff? :lol:
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Glad you're back. Many folks drifted away after TS. Some new people appeared (new = after Caligari forum). Spacekdet appears fairly regularly. Prodigy on occasion. Marcel infrequently but with great artwork (TS and Bryce).

Several still use TS and have it running on newer versions of windows. I don't use TS anymore. It's a good program but it is time for me to move to new ones. For a while I used Hexagon for modeling and Daz Studio for rendering. Blender will be my main program now.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
b_scotty

Post by b_scotty »

Thank you :) I'm glad Spacekdet is still around, I remember him from the old trueSpace IRC channel. I miss those days I must say. I took a look at Bforartists, that looks very interesting. That, or Blender itself looks to be the way forward for me, since I can't justify purchasing a full on package for a part time hobby. It looks like I could coax tS to work, but I think it's time to let it go and move forward with something still officially supported. :) My free time after family obligations, work, and the (small) amount of gaming required to keep my sanity is limited, but I do want to delve back into 3d work again. We'll see how it goes, lol. First is to assess just how much I actually remember of this stuff. :)