Model side tools combined into Workspace side?

tamtam
Petty Officer First Class

Model side tools combined into Workspace side?

Post by tamtam »

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer mostly the model side tools. I also like the workspace tools, but I don't know how to use them all correctly, so is there any chance that anyone who knows how to program or script for Truespace 7.61 could combine the model side tools and bring them over to the workspace side for easy access for me and anyone else who still prefers the model side for almost all modeling and animation? Please? I don't know how to program very well in a basic programming language yet. I don't like this Truespace Bridge thing.

Thank you to anyone who responds.
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Model side tools combined into Workspace side?

Post by splinters »

Best to think of tS as two programs with model side like a big plug in for the new rosetta code (workspace). Simply put Tamtam, if this was possible, or even easy, Caligari would have done it. I would say that this will never happen. If anyone could ressurect tS it would probably be to add more of the model tools to workspace.
Development on model side ended with tS6.6, thay just added HDRI and a few other tweaks for tS7.
tamtam
Petty Officer First Class

Post by tamtam »

But then what is the Truespace SDK for? I thought it was for programming your own Truespace tools and/or plugins, and. I think the SDK for Truespace might still be availlable on the Caligari download page. But can you get tools from the model side on the workspace side using the Library Browser or some other way?

Thanks for the kind response. I hope someone can use TS7.61 and the SDK to script/program all the model side tools so that they might work someday on the workspace side, if that's possible.
tylerzambori
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by tylerzambori »

I think you are talking about a whole lot of work there, that would probably not be worth it
for anyone to do, and may break it too. best to leave it as it is, imo.

I don't know much, but that tends to be my first impression.
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by splinters »

tamtam wrote:But then what is the Truespace SDK for? I thought it was for programming your own Truespace tools and/or plugins, and. I think the SDK for Truespace might still be availlable on the Caligari download page. But can you get tools from the model side on the workspace side using the Library Browser or some other way?

Thanks for the kind response. I hope someone can use TS7.61 and the SDK to script/program all the model side tools so that they might work someday on the workspace side, if that's possible.
You are talking about a lot more than making plug ins here. Caligari, in several years, never managed to port a lot of the model tools over. Even if it were possible by someone here...there are many 'future' development to look at. I seriously doubt anyone would or could commit the time to do what you are asking especially for no fee.
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

wow my last response didn't post. Dang.
Anyway.
I can say from experience, plugin development for ts Workspace is a considerable amount of work.
the OBJ importer/exporter is 7802 SLOC (Software Lines Of Code). I could refactor it, and get it down
to about 7,500 SLOC probably.

Not many people use tS; there is very little interest in plugins it seems. But plugin dev is good for coding
practice at least.

It does take a long time to develop these things. Then there's testing, debugging, and rework. It is tough to
make these plugins, knowing that even if you want to sell them for a low fee, you won't make much.