trueSpace 7.6x under Windows 10?

bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: trueSpace 7.6x under Windows 10?

Post by bitkar »

Hey just run the regular installer, it will install the C++ runtime libraries. No need to set special compatibility mode.

BTW: congrats bro!

I just bougth the RYZEN 1700X too... its brutal! I love it, great AMD is back in action... more of MAD than AMD :)
Also updated to Win10 and so far it runs well... I tried some rendering and it was finished before i switched a task manager to see the ryzen work at 100% :D
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

a little prob here... I ran tS after some time and seems like i cannot make VRay run at 100% CPU usage, maybe problem with multithreading?? does it work for you in win10? i think i did work a while back, now the CPU is half sleepying with only about 20 % utilization.
EDIT1: OK, i saw it made 50% utilization, but that was peak, more it was like 10 or 20... can someone pls check the behaviour of Vray in tS7.61 in Win10? Render some complex object. Thank you.
I remember that usually it peaked right after start of render at 100% and kept it till its done. now it looks like this:
utilization.jpg
Michal aka bitkar
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

hm, i worked on something and it came to 100% CPU usage, so i guess its ok. I wonder why it doesnt use the CPU to its fullest all the time tho. But i think its normal behaviour.
Michal aka bitkar
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

I have some theories: Windows 10 tries to handle threads on the CPU to always keep the OS working, from what I know. Unlike older versions of Windows, where 100% use would freeze your machine till it dropped back down - annoying in my opinion.

Another theory is the idea that older software does not have multithreaded capacity and will probably not use all threads to full capacity due to their older programming.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Which is not what TD 7.6 does... Roman was always proud to say its one of the few programs to use all cores that you throw at it! Its probably even 64 bit code mostly..!
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

I just upgrade my computer to Windows 10 and notice that trueSpace is rendering 2 times slower. Same results in VEGAS, my video editor : rendering is slower.
Checking the ressources, I see that CPU is not fully in use. It only reach 30-40% of its potential.

It seems Windows 10 keeps CPU ressources for its own, no matter priority strategies I apply to my rendering softwares.

Does anyone know the trick to make it behave like Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 ?
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Run it in compatibility mode! Take Windows XP that should work!
Try it..if not..I dont know!
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

I run it in Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) because that was the OS used when it was released.
At least tS761 was, not sure about tS76
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Thanks for the replies.
I tried to change compatibility modes and a ton of other options. The only way to accelerate is to overclock the CPU !

Reading forums of other apps (Max, Blender, Premiere, etc.) I see a lot of complaints about how Windows 10 behaves with programs that require the maximum of CPU ressources available. And there is no solution yet. It seems Microsoft policy is to make sure there is NO SLOW DOWN IN WINDOWS ; so it preventes demanding apps from using too much CPU ressources.
This is good for home/general use of a computer, but that's not what we are looking for when we are at work with productivity software !

I waisted two days but understood why so many professionals still stick with Windows 7...

I will return my Windows 10 copy and go back to the fast and reliable Windows 8.1. I didn't liked Windows 10 themes anyway.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

iam using win10 and dont have that issue. Maybe try to fiddle with "power plans", maybe you have set the maximum CPU speed to save energy. Make sure you run a plan that allows to run 100% CPU speeds.
I use tS and Vegas and both are pretty fast. Also make sure you have all the updates and drivers.
Michal aka bitkar