Move U3DA to a different host?

Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Re: Move U3DA to a different host?

Post by Steinie »

We have already collected enough to cover the Domain Name. If we start a collection the beginning of next year (I am thinking everyone pitch in $20) we could cover the next three years. Does anyone here think that is too much of a donation? That comes to .56 cents a month each or $6.72 a year.
If ALL the regulars pitched in $10 we would have the bill covered. Honestly I cannot tell your commitment to us.

I am open to all suggestions and your feelings about this.
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

What I would ask is for the potential generous big spenders to wait and see if small donations will cover it. I hope many members donate a little so more members feel like owners. When you own something you take better care of it. By "small" I mean $10 or $20 like Steinie suggested.

I think Interserver handles domain names too. They might be cheaper than Godaddy. Someone research that please. We could save on the domain name too if that's right.

Yeah, let's start the donation drive at the beginning of the year because I'm restructuring my PayPal stuff now. (Doantions go to my unused business account and my business uses my personal account. Gotta reverse that.)
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

I recently threw in what I had and will try to get some more for next year. I hope we can keep this going. As it is when I get to stop in and read what everyone is up to it helps keep me going.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Thanks V3rd3. Do what you want but I'd like to see more people donating rather than a few paying for it all. That's why I asked above for big spenders to wait to give time for others to support U3DA too. Big spenders can always come to the rescue later if little spenders don't meet the need. Steinie has a poll, that is broken right now, to estimate interest in U3DA and how much might be donated.

It will keep going. If no other way then Emmanuel or others will host it on their existing accounts. I looks great though for continuing to have our own host since there are indeed some affordable hosts.

So far Interserver has not replied to my email asking them to confirm that they are not associated with EIG. That's not great but I read somewhere that they do outsource customer support to India. I also saw claims that the CEO sometimes handles support tickets. One place said that Interserver has their own datacenter/hardware and that is one reason they can be so cheap. I'll try to web chat with them about EIG, Q&A, and why they didn't reply to my email after more coffee.
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

Where can one donate again? Last time I think there was a button on the front page.

Also, Steinie, the poll doesn't seem to be working...
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

@Mikom There will be a thread with the donate button. I'm restructuring my PayPal stuff now so the donate button will appear later. I PM'ed Steinie about the poll.

I did web chat with Interserver customer support. They confirmed that they are not owned by EIG or anyone else. Their backups are once per week with only one kept so we will need to make our own to have older ones.
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

JustHost is a great host at a reasonable price. Very few limitations... just sayin! @Emmanuel, thanks for the offer! :P

But any backup anytime is good.. this is like Museum work - archiving and brushing off the dust off a relic for prolonged life.
seppgirty
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by seppgirty »

I use and like dot easy.

http://www.doteasy.com/

I use it for my film site.
truespace 3.2, 5.2, 6.6, ani-pack, flash plugin,........ you can check out my films athttp://www.chaosbrosfilms.com
Saul
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Saul »

My web guy recommends these guys:
https://www.freethought-internet.co.uk/ ... /#products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;