I've been watching, in the background since TS 3.2

onkelseph
Seaman
Type the number ten into the box: 10

I've been watching, in the background since TS 3.2

Post by onkelseph »

Whats up... (Now...wait a minute, people who know me say I talk a lot....and maybe I took kinda of a deep breath on this one as well....but please bare with me...I'm an American and I've been living in Germany the past 25 years)

This is your ol Onkelseph (Uncle Seph = U.S.)...and I've been a hobby modeler and animator with Truespace since the day I discovered version 3.2..back in 04' (maybe)...... and I must admit it's been quite a ride. I love the program and the way it developed over a 20+ year run. Even the name (as I first heard/read the word Caligari) just sounded so fluid and perfect for a 3D software developing company name. Caligari Truespace just rolls off the tongue so naturally and smooth.
In the last 16 years, I've been sort of a stalker on most of the TS forums, never registering, only browsing, reading topics, collecting bits and pieces of info here and there for my own Truespace archive...so some of you that have been loyal to TS over the years and have maintained a presence in the forums have kind of become my mentors and heros...kept me interested and motivated with my beloved hobby as well as introduced me to other modeling programs like Blender, Poser etc..
I was a hobby user and when I first discovered version 3.2 (at kidzonline)....it was free, and it was enough program to fit my hobby purposes. I use to drool over versions 4, then 5, then 6.5, and finally 6.6....when they where still on the market and selling for like 500 bucks ( with a groupon, maybe you could get it for like 299)...doesn't matter...it was too much money for me at the time to put out for a hobby (Huh...who am I kidding ...still too much money today...lol) although I knew if I did pay that money for it, ultimately I would have the same modeling and animation capabilities I would have if I bought an expensive program like Maya or Soft Image (Including a complete video library of tutorials on how to use the damned thing professionally...if I ever wanted to)...Which I found impressive...but I could never get enough pennies in my piggy bank to ever buy it...so I just used 3.2, and like I stated before, it was enough program for my uses.
Then one time, around 07' - 08' an acquaintance of mine (this German guy) had version 6.6. He was a modeler employed by an architecture firm and had access to (in his opinion) far better programs, and that he would give me his version of 6.6...felt like it was Christmas...there where none of the learning materials with it (and back in those days it was still somewhat hard to find any free tutorials online ..especially in Germany....you really had to search...believe me I know how hard I had to search)....but so what, I finally had 6.6, and that's where the real fun began, well, that is, until a few years later when 7.6 went free. That's when my world was turned upside down...the 3D gods had smiled upon my broke ass and miraculously, somehow Truespace 7.6 was free....it was like a dream (nightmare really).....because like always, for my good fortune there was a price to pay...and that price was (it seemed to me) like waking up and Caligari just didn't exists anymore. From one day to the next...just gone.....I begged the 3D gods to take it back and put it on the market and I would save money, every penny, not eat if I had to ...not even pay rent......just to buy it, but please, don't take away Caligari man....c'mon man ( I begged).....but it was over..........just like that (broke my heart)
Anyway there is a reason for this post....and that is, that I've been trying the last few years to find a particular video tutorial that was a part of a tutorial series narrated by Oliver Röhe ..."The Character Animation Series" (is actually part 2)...which is still to be found online, with just a little effort (even for download...but you knew that)...But Part 1 is not to be found, and I know it existed because it was my first box-modeling tutorial that I ever watched, and it was good. It took you step by step through the entire process of creating a character (using Truespace's tools as well as teaching the basic way to model in Truespace) that could later be rigged in MoStu. It included detailed information when creating the separate geometry that is needed for the teeth and eyes (rigging the teeth and eyes is cover in the 2nd half, but modeling techniques tools etc. and hierarchy or any texturing are only covered in the 1st part...which is crucial information for any beginner who wants to learn concrete practices that are individual to Truespace's workflow) I have quite a big Truespace video tutorial library myself, practically all the stuff you guys yourselves have access to...BUT....this truly is my favorite of all the video tutorials I ever learned with...and it is a MUST HAVE for my personal collection of Truespace video tutorial material. For anyone's private collection.. Just having Part 2 is so sad (because it is also done very well)..granted, Oliver Röhe does have a voice that can put you to sleep...talks so dammned slow....but the information he's yawning out is almost priceless for any Truespace beginner. So with both parts of the series, a beginner is armed with the good fundamentals that he needs to understand how to model and animate using any version of Truespace...or any other modeling program for that matter.
anybody.....??? help??........please

(told you I took a deep breath.....sorry)

Onkelseph
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: I've been watching, in the background since TS 3.2

Post by Draise »

Oh glad you could finally join the forum and share your words. Read the whole thing. Entertaining.

So.. now that it's free.. are you doing 3D as a hobby now? What works have you done lately? I would love to see.

Today marks the last day anyone can buy Softimage - as Autodesk shut it down. I know the feels. Second time it has happened to me - my favorite software just goes cahput. I have become quite the master at necrophilia. Unfortunately no-one can now even get SI, which means... I'll probably have to get into the muddy legal waters if I want to expand with it still - though I consider it a human right to use any software even if it's taken off the market. It's a great software, as is trueSpace.

5.5 was my first owned version, I also slaved away and bought myself the 6.6 version. I was 17yo at the time. I started with 4.3 demo version at 14yo. It was easy to learn even at that age.

I still squeeze monetary gain from work in trueSpace today. Mostly in the 7.6 WS.
onkelseph
Seaman

Post by onkelseph »

Hey nice to see someone read my post... und ich ratte das du Deutsch lesen Bzw schreiben kannst, oder?...Cahput gave it away...LOL...sure I do some modeling every now and again, would like to get more serious about it by developing some intricate animations, but I just can't seem to find the time. I just recently started playing around with the program again after having a few years break, and want to be a little more disciplined this time in my modeling. I have a big library of tutorials,and after being away from the program for a while I always like to start myself off with a refreshers course...to get back into it ......I'll be doing some "Hobby" modeling again now ..so yeah if I make anything worth posting I'll post it...

About the video tutorial.....Do you know anywhere I might find it?? I believe it came with version 5.5 as a CD, so maybe you still have an original copy. Or if you have any other learning material that may be considered rare that you might share? I would love to see anything I haven't seen yet or haven't seen for a long time.

Thanks Draise
spacekdet
Captain
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

Was it maybe this one you were thinking of?

http://www.clintons3d.com/tutorials/tru ... ng.asp.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
onkelseph
Seaman

Post by onkelseph »

No Spacekadet....

That's a good one as well...But really I've been to all the obvious sources..I've been often to LunaDude, Spacekadet and Moonman's.....Clinton Reese, Design Devil...I've been everywhere and know it all...(and they are all good at offering tutorials)....But this one is the sister to this one : http://web.archive.org/web/200706092207 ... ate=Master" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The one in the link is the second part of a two part series...I'm looking for the first part which covers modeling up to the rigging point...it's by Olive Röhe and use to be found online about 7 years ago....now it's disappeared.

(I actually wrote with Spacekadet.... wow....fucking awesome)
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Since I think I got them all I must have it somewhere but
hey where......german speeking....ich hab totales Chaos! ;)
I Will look through my drives next week! There is a chancI got it!
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

I have all 9 in wmv format... if anyone running an archive wants them all pm me the details of where to send the files.
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

I have no news from Oliver since a long time by the way ; and couldn't find a way to contact him.

Is someone still in touch with him ? German tSpacers maybe ?
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

Maybe start here:

http://www.oroe.de/agentur/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He is top left,
right?
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Draise »

onkelseph wrote:Hey nice to see someone read my post... und ich ratte das du Deutsch lesen Bzw schreiben kannst, oder?...Cahput gave it away...LOL...
Haha.. well I don't REALLY know any German at all. I didin't even know that word was german! Hope you find the tutorials soon, if not any animation tutorials work, the only tricky part is the rigging - but feel free and I can help you out with that.