Which movie editor?

Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Which movie editor?

Post by Kurt »

Very cute film, finis. Love the tiny white "asteroids" doubling for snow in the snow globe! :)

Kurt.
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

Excellent! Thanks Burnart. I've printed that out - now all I have to do is learn how to write scripts. Never looked at that side of things before. Always just relied on the UI.

But I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. :)

Thanks,
Kurt.
Burnart
Petty Officer Third Class

Post by Burnart »

Hi again Kurt - I was talking about Paint Shop Pro I think you mentioned Photo Paint - although they are both Corel software these days they are different programs. I have no idea how scripts are implemented in Photo Paint.
noko
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by noko »

Kurt wrote:
Burnart wrote:Just to clarify something I said earlier. Partly its the limitation of the software I have and partly its my limitations as an artist but I always work in frame sequences and only go to avi at the end. With the software I have it affords me more options. Makes for a messy hardrive though with lots of directories full of hundreds if not thousands of images. With better hardware and software I might change my habits but I don't see it happening any time soon.
Understood, Burnart. But I'm still curious about that procedure where you can add effects to footage by importing it into, say, Photoshop, and applying layers of effects and/or artifacts by batch processing it. It sounds as if you can retouch individual photgraphs, hundreds at a time, then export them as playable footage again.

This intruiges me because it would mean that I could add elements to a scene that previously would require me to use chromakey, (which isn't always impressive in the final product, especially where the element you want to key in has curved edges.)

To me, that procedure seems like more of an opportunity than a limitation. Can you elaborate on exactly what things you can add to frames using Paint Shop or similar photo retouching applications? Can you only change image characteristics like colour, contrast, brightness, etc?

Or can you superimpose other objects over the image objects, like you can in the chromakey process?
I do that with Paint Shop Pro. Any visual effect, color, resolution etc. you can do in Paint Shop Pro can be done to each frame of an animation by batch method. Basically all you have to do is record a sequence of actions to create a script then apply that script using batch method to the frames you want. Very easy to do and powerful. Imagination is the limit for animations. What holds the Earth video had every frame processed in this fashion using Paint Shop Pro which was really a downsize from a high resolution render to HD format, 720P to smooth out the jaggies or better anti-aliasing. So yes for me this is a very valuable and powerful way of post processing images for animation.
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

Burnart wrote:Hi again Kurt - I was talking about Paint Shop Pro I think you mentioned Photo Paint - although they are both Corel software these days they are different programs. I have no idea how scripts are implemented in Photo Paint.
No, my mistake, Burnart. I meant Paint Shop Pro. I have both programs and get their names confused. :oops:
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

noko wrote:
I do that with Paint Shop Pro. Any visual effect, color, resolution etc. you can do in Paint Shop Pro can be done to each frame of an animation by batch method. Basically all you have to do is record a sequence of actions to create a script then apply that script using batch method to the frames you want. Very easy to do and powerful. Imagination is the limit for animations. What holds the Earth video had every frame processed in this fashion using Paint Shop Pro which was really a downsize from a high resolution render to HD format, 720P to smooth out the jaggies or better anti-aliasing. So yes for me this is a very valuable and powerful way of post processing images for animation.
That's great, noko, thanks. Just what I want to do. Now I've got a choice of programs to use for the job.

I'm going to have to learn all about scripting before I can use either of them for that, but it definitely sounds like it's worth the effort. :)

Cheers,
Kurt.
noko
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by noko »

In Paint Shop Pro you don't really need to know anything about scripting since actions are recorded in script by the program you don't ever need to look at them. All you have to do is start the script recorder and then perform all the actions you want to do to an image. Stop the recording and save the generated script. Then you can use the menu to open up the batch process (don't remember the right naming) which opens up a rather simple window which you select what images you want to process, what script to use, since there are many scripts already besides the ones you make. Where to save the images, what format, you can overwrite original images if you want and that is about it. Actually really simple.
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

noko wrote:In Paint Shop Pro you don't really need to know anything about scripting since actions are recorded in script by the program you don't ever need to look at them. All you have to do is start the script recorder and then perform all the actions you want to do to an image. Stop the recording and save the generated script. Then you can use the menu to open up the batch process (don't remember the right naming) which opens up a rather simple window which you select what images you want to process, what script to use, since there are many scripts already besides the ones you make. Where to save the images, what format, you can overwrite original images if you want and that is about it. Actually really simple.
Well, that sure makes it easier! Thanks for that, Noko. :bananathumb:

Cheers,
Kurt.
Karthogen
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Karthogen »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNLx9pclMKU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an interesting concept for video editing. IS this old? First I have seen of it.
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

Karthogen wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNLx9pclMKU

This is an interesting concept for video editing. IS this old? First I have seen of it.
Now I feel like a dumb newbie all over again, Karth!! :D