Post by RAYMAN »

bitkar wrote:i see its wise not to hury to upgrade from win8.1 :) thnx
I see its not wise to hurry to update from win 7!!! :lol:
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: win 10

Post by Draise »

Yeah..... So far I think 8.1 is the more stable mature version. I like the UI and speed of windows 10 (x2 or x4 times faster at loading stuff than 7).. but 8.1 is also fast and more stable right now.

W10 needs a good service pack, like 8 needed.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

well... every windows were better with service pack or after half a year of updates :)
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

The start menu of w10 is better. The UI is better. TS modelside work better than ever and the render is faster for me (before I had w7). All you need is some adds like sagethumb, some driver, some config and you have a good OS for your work. More simple than
the beginnig of first w8 and his new UI.
For me the history is XP, w7,w10. No Vista and w8 with à "beta OS".
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

@Marcel You think the start menu in Windows 10 is better? I thought it was a mess. In Windows 7 it's a straight forward list where I can add my my programs in a preferred order and the most important folders are there as a link.
In Windows 10 (which I use at work) I had to first get rid of a lot of useless junk in the tile-part of the menu, then re-add most of the programs I use but... had this been on my main PC then there would have been no room whatsoever for all the programs I normally use.
Also the old links for User Folder, Documents, Pictures, etc. aren't there so I have to either add them as a tile (which takes up space) or use the File Explorer button which means using at least 3 times more clicks in order to go where I want to go. Not exactly more efficient, or a cleaner interface or generally an improvement at all, I'd say. :|

This is how it should look. I do use a custom theme for Windows 7.

Other things I dislike about Windows 10 would be the terrible new control panel, luckily the old one is still hidden in there somewhere, it just takes some time to find it. The look of the GUI is a bit of a downgrade from Windows 8 and the customization options are pathetic.
Also I still don't get why windows Update refuses to install updates when I shut down my PC, it always keeps asking me to schedule a restart which is stupid since I only power it down when I leave so that means scheduling a restart for when I end my shift, then waiting for it to restart and then shutting it down again. (start-up is still slow as ever, PC's fault really, not win 10)

Things I do like about Windows 10 are that it shuts down very quickly though. The new task manager is excellent and so are many of the additions to Windows Explorer. The better support for SSDs, multi-core CPUs, RAM over 16 GBs and 64 bit programs is also good but expected. Luckily there are already programs you can download that restrict Microsoft's access to your PC and its dubious monitoring features.

I couldn't care less about the new web browser, OneDrive, the windows store and I haven't used Cortana since me talking to my PC at work would seem a bit odd. :P

Overall for me Windows 10 is only a marginal improvement over Windows 7 and I don't see myself upgrading my main PC any time soon. This install of win 7 has lasted through several hardware setups and has never shown any signs of crashing, spying or slowing down in terms of performance. Seven is still my lucky number :mrgreen:
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

MikomDude wrote:
Other things I dislike about Windows 10 would be the terrible new control panel, luckily the old one is still hidden in there somewhere, it just takes some time to find it.
:idea:
Create a Desktop Folder and Rename it:
GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

HTH
MikomDude
Captain

Post by MikomDude »

@trueBlue Heh, yeah I used that trick on Windows 7 as well. Still have it in my applications folder I think. I may just do that at my work PC, it's not really that big a deal there though. But it will be a must if I ever switch to Win 10 on a PC here at home.
pugman 1
Captain

Post by pugman 1 »

Win 10 just killed my pc .blue screen with install repair disc this is a prob when its a download upgrade .i did nothing wrong just switched
off the pc last night as usual and this morning i had the blue screen .
It has been giving me a few probs the last month
ive reinstalled win 8 pro from a disc i bought way back when it was first released ,prob is
reinstaling all my software photoshop wont work any more got zbrush up and going still
have to do the rest what a bummer
Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

My dad killed a harddrive with a windows 7 Update, shut it down while it was doing it... wiped the tables of the whole harddrive, not just they system partition. The harddrive was rendered useless, and he had to use a recovery software to get the data back - all unsorted without file structures.

But just so you know, bluescreens usually are driver issues or hardware failure.
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Here is a good tool for blocking win 10 snooping. Free. Also works for win 7 through 8.1. https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero