Other then Truespace what are people using now?

BNG
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Other then Truespace what are people using now?

Post by BNG » 04 May 2015, 09:42

I've tried Blender but it's a bit too complicated.

I've used Anim8or but it can't export animation.

Google Sketchup's interesting but is it easy to learn?

What about Daz 3d? I heard it was released free?

I guess I'm kind of bias towards Truespace but have yet to find a better modeling creation tool for simple low poly models. :worship:

Draise
Captain

Re: Other then Truespace what are people using now?

Post by Draise » 04 May 2015, 12:56

Softimage (animation, rigging, simulations and rendering - sometimes compositing)
Blender (sometimes some modeling TS can't - like sculpting, and smoothing; baking textures, UV's, compositing - like DOF and vector blur; video editing - and learning more as I go, it's good - worth the learning curve)
VirtualDub and Avisynth (video resizing and compressions, video conversion, faux motion blur)
Inkscape (vectors, and converting bitmaps to vectors)
Krita and GIMP (heavy duty 2D editing and text creation)
Paint.net (light duty 2D editing)

I use other software every now and then, but I stick to those three main ones, Softimage, trueSpace and Blender, in that order - for 3D.

I have used Arnold, Redshift3D, Mental Ray and Machstudio Pro 2 to render out things from Softimage. My favorites being Redshift3D hands down.

Softimage is as complete if not more complete than 3Dmax and Maya, and now it's... at $340 USD dollars on a reseller site I found.

I'm not sure it's a scam, but.. looks legit. View for yourself.

EDIT: I just reviewed it, and well.. I think that site is a Scam. After April 2016, it's going to be very hard to get Softimage legally.....
Last edited by Draise on 04 May 2015, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis » 04 May 2015, 14:19

Hi BNG!

I'm using the Daz programs. Daz Studio, Bryce, and Hexagon. They are free or cheap. These aren't a complete replacement for full featured programs like Blender and TS so I'm going to use Blender as my main program when I have time to learn it.

The Daz suite is intended to sell their premade content and make pictures with it. That said, it is possible to use it like a full feature program but with frustrating limits especially in modeling. The programs each have some good features and can have a place in an economical tool set for us hobbyists. They aren't difficult to use once you learn the UI's which range from odd to just different than TS.

Hexagon is Daz's modeler. It might be acceptable for your low poly modeling. It has some nice modeling tools that TS doesn't. It is best for modeling single objects or a few (20 or 30). Terrible for large scenes with many objects or mega-poly items. Applying materials is difficult in Hexagon if you need different ones on different parts of one object. You export objects to Studio or Bryce and assemble scenes, apply final materials, and render there.

Daz Studio is their main program. For me the great thing about it is the awesome 3Delight renderer it uses. Unfortunately their interface to 3Delight is limited so many of its abilities are difficult to reach or unavailable which lowers it from awesome to good. DS's purpose to pose and dress their characters, assemble scenes, and render them. No modeling abilities other than a few primitives.

Bryce is like Vue but much less powerful. It makes landscapes and trees. It can import TS scenes and objects. It has a nice renderer and can do GI (they call it true ambiance). The renders usually have a painterly look. Marcel has done great art rendered with this in both realistic and paniterly looks. The user interface is strange and takes effort to get used to.

Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie » 05 May 2015, 01:04

A picture is worth a bla bla bla.... :lol:
If I have an Icon I use it.
No drooling allowed! :bananadevil:
Attachments
SteinieScreen.png

3dfrog
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by 3dfrog » 26 May 2015, 00:05

Mainly using Modo now. I'm using Maya for a class I am taking, the educational version, can't afford the commercial version. I am happy with Modo, been using it a while now. Not sure I'll be able to upgrade to 901 when it first comes out, but eventually will.

For video editing I use sony movie studio and it does all I need so I stick with it.

I do painting in 3d in 3dcoat.

For photo editing I have serif photoplus and i have photoshop subscription too. But I end up using photoplus more anyway. Think I'm tied into the photoshop subscription til august then I will let it go.

For web design and page layout I also use the serif apps, webplus and pageplus. They are really good. Highly recommended.

Oh yeah, on my tablet i use silo to model. It is only 32 bit so modo cant run on it. So I dug up my old silo license and got it running again. Its quite nice.

pugman 1
Captain

Post by pugman 1 » 26 May 2015, 08:51

Blender because i can do somthing like this in 15 mins .
zbrush because once you have it all updates are free .
these two work perfect together ,
i have modo but dont use it blender is better .
i leart over the years you dont need lots of different softwaer to do 3d
i wasted alot of money on apps now i stick to the above 2 they do everything .
Attachments
teddy.jpg

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise » 26 May 2015, 13:07

Wow, the fur on that bear! I'm impressed. Is this the new 2.74 and 2.75 hair/fur? How long did that take to render? Very nice!

I hear good things of Blender. I dove into it a little, but the workflow is a bit odd to me still. But one of these days I'll master it.

Modo 901 looks good to me. Much better viewport and rendering, that does make me wish Cycles had similar rendering features of Modo 901.

But anyway, I guess it boils down to ones skill in any software no?

pugman 1
Captain

Post by pugman 1 » 26 May 2015, 13:23

Blender 2.72.
to me it dosent come down to the skill its the price of upgading .
maya max 2000. vue 2 time a year cant remember how much .modo 500 a year .
blender 0 zbrush 0 , and alot of maya and max are moving over to blender because its free
and just as capeble of doing the job .

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise » 26 May 2015, 13:28

True, the pockets does define the tool.... (and trying to be legal)

I guess that is why I stick to trueSpace though, being free and that I'm relatively good at it.

Should get more into Blender.

@Pugman, do share your stuff on the forums more? That teddy was awesome.

BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG » 29 May 2015, 08:29

Blender does look like a very cool option, and I've been tracking it over the years, but still find the interface a bit odd. The developers are doing a pretty good job of making it more user friendly. I know a few people that have written some XSI exporters that make Blender for those who understand the scripting end of Python. I still find Truespace especially hard to part with altogether though. I've imported a few models into blender, but get lost when trying to edit the models in the Blender interface.