HDRI / environmental lighting in workspace

Post by Hatchetman »

Is there? And how do you do it?
Prodigy
Site Admin
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: HDRI / environmental lighting in workspace

Post by Prodigy »

You can use Hdri on Workspace only if you own Vray. Vray has that feature for Workspace.. I need to start to test YafaRay that i believe also use hdri images..

If you mean Realtime? No there's no way to get environment lights using an Hdri image, but you can use a hdri image as a texture on a sphere for example to simulate the environment etc..

Hope that helps. ;)
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑
Hatchetman
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by Hatchetman »

Oh well, I can stick to model side for a few things.. thanks!
First Light
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by First Light »

Hi Hatchetman,

YafaRay4tS (the Workspace Side trueSpace XML exporter for the open-source YafaRay renderer) does appear to provide partial support for HDRI. Jack Edwards can speak more intelligently about this (he's one of the principal developers of the YafaRay4tS add-on). According to the Development Progress page of the YafaRay for trueSpace Project website, HDRI background images are supported. However, YafaRay4tS is a script rather than a plugin and it doesn't provide HDR direct export capability from trueSpace at this time. The developers are considering transforming YafaRay4tS into a plugin in the future to fully integrate it into trueSpace and provide both preview and HDR export capability. But this is a large undertaking (the code must be rewritten in C++) and it won't happen unless lots of us support it. If you'd like to support their efforts, please visit the YafaRay for trueSpace Project website and donate US$5 or $10. I have. Visit their Development Plans page for more info on the future plans of YafaRay4tS. This is one project that would be great to see continue!!!

Best regards, First Light
Hatchetman
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by Hatchetman »

Hey! You beat me to it.. I was gonna jump in here and mention Yafaray. I'm getting used to it, never being a fan of the material editor in the LE. And I'm gonna donate as soon as our 6 week old baby bills are paid up.

Pay no attention to the headless barbie doll..
yafahdri.jpg
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

I am currently exploring Keyshot, a nice real-time render engine with some animation features.

It offers environmental lightening as many similar tools, and I am wondering wonder why Caligari developpers never implemented that feature to Workspace.

After all, HDRI lightening is basically just a multiple lights setup based on bitmap texture painted on a sphere. Is there some limitation in the Workspace engine that prevents using too many lights ? Or a distance issue ?
Any explanation someone ?
Attachments
keyshot1.jpg
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

maybe i dont understand what you mean, but this comes down to render engine and now workspace. Even directX is render engine.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I use Blender now but if I remember correctly trueSpace has an image based light. Pseudo environment lighting: enclose a scene in a sphere with IBL using an appropriate image. Maybe an alternative if HDR environment lighting is not available.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

I mean, in trueSpace 6 days, when there was no GI nor HDRI tool in trueSpace we used to fake a global illumination using a sky dome filled with spot lights casting map shadows at a low intensity. That did the trick and was rendering fast. Basically, an array of lights forming a dome shape tends to create a soft shadow at the corner of objects and makes a more realistic picture.
We could adjust all the spot lights glued together at once using a plugin (Light Man tsx 1.0) ; it was easy and efficient. See Modeler scene attached.
Fake GI.jpg
Then trueSpace 7 came with built in HDRI for Lightworks, then VRay and its own great GI, and I stopped using those fake global illumination tricks.

I tried to reproduce that, with a skydome of lights in Workspace's real-time renderer. My hope was to reproduce the same soft shadows in real-time. But Workspace lights tends to create sharp or less accurate shadows ; they are difficult to adjust and I can't achieve what I am thinking of...
Fake GI in WS.jpg
Modern GPU renderers like Keyshot are using real-time lightening and shadows though. They somehow cast shadows from lights emitted on a skydome.

Did anyone tried such experience ?
Attachments
fake GI.scn
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

One thing that is real handy in Workspace when you want to change, as an example, several selected Spotights at one time, is the jScript Macro Recorder
jScript Macro Recorder.png

Also, Clinton discovered that your meshes need a minimum amount of elements
Like a ground flat Plane 100 x 100
viewtopic.php?t=6609