Question Regarding Truespace

Kimodo
Marine

Question Regarding Truespace

Post by Kimodo » 10 Aug 2009, 21:22

I received Truespace a few years back as a gift and never got around to learning it. I was fortunate enough to download the latest version before it became unavailable. Anyway, I am really lost as to what the program actually does. What is it? It appears to be... only the 3d aspect of stuff?

I have a few questions for you guys. If you could answer them I would be so grateful! :)

Can it do 2d animation?

Do I need Photoshop, or GIMP? Where does the artwork come from?

Would it be possible to create an animated show with this software? I am developing a cartoon along the lines of King of the Hill, Simpsons... etc and I'm trying to determine if Truespace could be used in it's creation.

If it can't actually do the animation entirely with Truespace itself... what else could it be used for? I really want to honor my relative by using the gift I was given properly. Now that I have a computer adequate enough to run it, it really should be used.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Question Regarding Truespace

Post by v3rd3 » 10 Aug 2009, 22:29

Well let me try to start this one off....

Ultimately all animation is 2d.... the question is whether or not you want the animation to have the appearance of depth... if you do then 3d authoring software like TS is what you are looking for.

You will need companion software regardless of which software you choose to use.... 2d tools like the GIMP or photoshop or ACD Canvas will be useful for creating textures you apply to your models. In post production if you have a "dirty frame" tools like the GIMP can be used to clean up those problems....

As you learn more about the 3d authoring process you will discover there are even more tools that will help in the development of a production ready animation pipeline.

TS can be used to produce many different types of animation. If you are trying to produce a cartoon with the intention of selling it commercially I would suggest that you use other software to do it. TS has limitations that would dissuade me from using it in a commercial pipeline where I needed a team to work on the project. If I was working on creating a proof of concept working on my own I would use TS. But the big thing in that decision is I have been learning to use TS for some time. For someone like yourself that is completely new to 3d it would consume an awful lot of your time.

If you don't want to use 3d software and produce your animation purely by hand in 2d you should have a look at synfig studio... it is a new vector based editing package being developed to do animation.

GTG HTH

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis » 10 Aug 2009, 22:57

Hi Kimodo,

Welcome to trueSpace, 3D, and the forum!
I really want to honor my relative by using the gift I was given properly.
I understand. I'm like that too about gifts.

trueSpace is a 3D modeling and rendering program. It is focused on 3D. Not like with red/blue glasses but that the objects are defined and used in three dimensions.

What it does is allow you to create, alter, and arrange shapes in three dimensions and make pictures using them. Software like trueSpace (but more expensive) was used to make the computer animated movies we all like (Toy Story, Beowulf, Transformers). It is also used to make architectural images and product visualizations. A few forum members like Prodigy are professionals in this. They are "living the dream." Green with envy: :mrgreen:

In a sense it is like a 2D paint program, Paint Shop or Photoshop, except instead of making a circle you make a sphere, instead of a square you make a cube, and so forth. Instead of arranging circles and rectangles and lines on a flat 2D surface you arrange and manipulate 3D shapes in a three dimensional space.

You can make pictures like the ones you see in this forum. They can be cartoon style, photo-realistic, or they can be like a frame from Toy Story. You can make animations similar to Toy Story except that trueSpace is not very good an animating characters. If you want to make a Toy-Story-like cartoon use something else. It is good for still pictures not good at animation of organic or bending shapes like a human.

The new version 7.X TS is really two programs. It is important to know that. The model side, or model space, is similar to the the old version you were given. The workspace is a partially unfinished new style of TS that has some interesting new abilities and features. I still use TS5 often.

There are mainly 4 parts to using a program like this:
Modeling: here you create the shapes and put them together. A baseball bat shape for example.
Texturing/Shading: here you give the surface its colors, reflectance, transparency, and possibly bumps. Here you might wrap a photo of wood around the baseball bat shape.
Lighting: here you set the lights in the scene.
Rendering: here the program takes all of this and creates an image.
Can it do 2d animation?
Sort of. With a "toon" shader cartoon like images can be made.
Do I need Photoshop, or GIMP? Where does the artwork come from?
By artwork do you mean the pictures seen in the forum? They are a synthesis of many things created in trueSpace and brought together in it. Programs like Paint Shop serve a supporting role with trueSpace. You can use them to make textures and for post production work. Animation editors like Video Studio are useful too.
Would it be possible to create an animated show with this software? I am developing a cartoon along the lines of King of the Hill, Simpsons... etc and I'm trying to determine if Truespace could be used in it's creation.
Some 2D looking TV cartoons are made with 3D software. Use 'toon' shaders and maybe you can. Several people use TS because they like to model shapes (objects, meshes, models, and other names) with it but then animate them in other software.
If it can't actually do the animation entirely with Truespace itself... what else could it be used for?
Most TS users are hobbyists who make still pictures or simple animations for fun. It is good for realistic still pictures. Steinie is a cartoonist, Splinters has illustrated his children's books. W!izard creates artwork and illustrates a story.

Finis

Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie » 10 Aug 2009, 23:16

Welcome to the Forums Kimodo and thanks for posting a question.
Everyone gave great answers so far so I will not repeat their information.
The Animation examples you gave are 2D examples and for that I would
recommend a 2D animation program. This one is from Canada and used by
Disney, Warner Brothers etc.

http://www.toonboom.com/main/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It sounds like you are just starting out so please check these links out when
you find the time.
http://www.awn.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.aniboom.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.siggraph.org/education/mater ... er_s94.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Notice a name in the last one? Can you say Disney and Pixar?

Just because I recommended other software (in your case) doesn't mean you cannot use trueSpace
to create animations. However it's strength is in creating 3D Animation and you never know if this could
also be in your future unless you try it out. I'm sure you have lots of energy (you BETTER since Animation is very
time consuming!) So definitely try out trueSpace also and everyone here will gladly help you along.
I would also suggest checking out the Caligari Animation Gallery for examples of what can be done with this awesome software.
Good luck in this fantastic field of Animation.

Kimodo
Marine

Post by Kimodo » 13 Aug 2009, 11:16

Thank you all very, very much for your replies, they answered my questions perfectly. :) I will think on what's been said here and decide what to do. No matter what, I'll certainly be playing with the software in the future. I look forward to it!

Cheers! :bananacheers: