make Zip of all TS Lessons with TS for when it goes Poof

spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Re: make Zip of all TS Lessons with TS for when it goes Poof

Post by spacekdet »

They are already showing up on Youtube...good luck getting the toothpaste back into the tube.
worldmaker
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by worldmaker »

Steinie wrote:If you guys think the Microsoft/Caligari tutorials will be posted after the Caligari Site goes
down, you'll be mistaken. Caligari has stated various times that it is not allowed. My suggestion is
get them now so you have them later.

To the best of my understanding there should be no restraint on anyone writing and circulating their own tutorial, which is the point being made here.

And before you suggest that using image captures would be a breech of publication of Microsoft, blah, blah, there should be no limitation on using words, these are commonly found in dictionaries, not to the best of my knowledge currently owned by Microsoft, although it's rumored they are trying to patent them, one at a time.
Writer of the FREE short story "Dragon's Vale" and designer of the SpringShip
TheTomG
Seaman

Post by TheTomG »

Don't forget that the last announcements give the website a lifespan of 5 months. That's quite a while to get the content from there, be it tS, courses, etc, so there is less of a rush than might be expected.

Redoing tutorials would be good, many use tS6.6 or even tS5, and there's a lot of tS7 that just was never covered in those courses. So certainly room for making new ones, and perhaps even more useful than saving the old ones. Sometimes looking forward is more productive than just looking back :)

Depending on how my job and contract hunting goes, I might have time to make a few more bitesize, and I might even think about releasing something more substantial but with a price tag, though it would be low cost of course. Not ruled anything out yet, but haven't had time to dive into exploring those options quite yet.

HTH!
Tom
THE Tom G. Accept no substitutes. Why settle for anything less?
worldmaker

Post by worldmaker »

I'm the owner of versions 5 and 6.6, and holder (does it count as owning?) of 7.6 so keeping all the past records, tutorials, manuals (mmmm, manuals the weight of paper, the solid.... sorry getting carried away) makes good sense to me.
Musikman
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Musikman »

Tom, those Bitesize videos really come in handy. Would be cool if you were able to produce a few more in the future. :bananathumb:

There is Jack's organics course, the main course in my opinion for learning modeling, however, please correct me if I'm wrong, but there does seem to be a need for video courses or tutorials for 7.6 & obviously 7.61. From what I've seen on the tutorial webpage, there are some good courses on Texturing and Animation, (which are large topics to cover) but only for the much older versions of TS...5 & 6, and many don't apply to workspace side, only model side, which (if not for forum/user created tuts), leaves a bit of a hole in the TS7.x learning experience.

Many of the 'how to" questions that I see repeated by new users coming on board (myself included) relate to those two broad topics, Texturing and Animation. Don't misunderstand, there is much to learn from each other here, and we do, no complaints at all as this is a very generous community. I'm simply referring to video tutorials for 7.x on those two topics only, would be nice to see in the future. Some of Tom's existing Bitesize videos uncover some of the mysteries of texturing and animation, two thumbs up Tom, thanks for those! :bananathumb: :bananathumb: Thanks Jack for covering the modeling so well in one course, I sweated through it but learned alot! :D Thanks to all the other senior members here for their time spent creating tutorials for others to learn from, and for patiently doing a great job in filling in the learning gaps that come up on a daily basis here.

:bananathumb: :bananathumb: :bananathumb: :bananathumb:
spacekdet
Captain

Post by spacekdet »

Sheesh...my tutorial roundup page is going to need a major revamp...
what are the technicalities of me hosting/ reposting, say, the 'Tips and Tricks' tutorials from the monthly newsletters?
Legal? Sketchy?
I'm planning on saving a local copy of the user-submitted tuts from the forum that I'm already linked to. A little link-massage and they should continue to work once the site goes dark.

Steinie, your Baker's Dozen(s) are going to need the same treatment...I noted that a lot of the links point to the caliSite/forum and if that's going away... you'll be a few doughnuts short of a dozen.

I agree, there are plenty of older tuts and new, 7-specific ones are needed.
I'm still interested in saving as much of the accumulated knowledge of the hive-mind as possible... while the tools may look different the techniques and concepts are still valid.
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

SpacekDet, my Baker's Dozen has been redone and reposted at this tSCommunity
Forum under "Tips and Hints"
I think all the links work now and I removed any pointing to the Caligari Forum.
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

As discussed elswhere the legal issue to overcome is the owner of the copyright for the training materials. MS own anything produced by Caligari. MS own anything published by Caligari/MS employees. For example, TomG's mini tuts were items he produced and published while an MS employee hence you need MS permission to use them and you need MS permission as to how you use them.

You can safely download MS materials from the Caligari site for your personal consumption. You can archive a copy for backup purposes (based on fair use).

You may not redistribute these materials to anyone without the express written consent of a director or officer of MS.

At this time MS authored/published material is only available from the Caligari web site.

Any video tuts written or produced by community members and posted to the Caligari site are the property of the authors. Caligari acted as a distributor only. Many of these were links to youtube channels anyway.

HTH
spacekdet
Captain

Post by spacekdet »

What a pain in the dic...tionary needed to describe what a pain it's all turned out to be.

The Passion of the tS is turning into a case of "Why Bother"

DICK
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

CADE
Nay, that I mean to do. Is not this a lamentable
thing, that of the skin of an innocent lamb should
be made parchment? that parchment, being scribbled
o'er, should undo a man?

-William Shakespeare - King Henry VI
worldmaker

Post by worldmaker »

spacekdet wrote:What a pain in the dic...tionary needed to describe what a pain it's all turned out to be.

The Passion of the tS is turning into a case of "Why Bother"
Yes. There is such a huge amount of pessimism about the whole subject of keeping tS alive in the community, of finding ways around the possible, maybe, suspected, feared MS opposition, that I'm already becoming disheartened with the whole subject.

Should I bother, is everyone here too obsessed with M$oft or are there a few little sneaky M$oft employees here, making sure the community dies a safe and quiet death?