Good Software?

froo
Captain

Re: Good Software?

Post by froo »

Ok thanks for the info Rayman. I'll check it out.

v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

Karthogen, other than Blender and POVRay which are open source you will find most other rigging/animation packages are in either <> 2,000 USD category.

What I have done is to watch the cover CD's on 3D World and 3D Artist magazines from the UK. These magazines have put free full versions of 3d software on their cover CD, usually current generation minus one....

Between these 2 magazines I have Carrara 6, Carrara 6.2 Pro, Shade 8.5, Vue Pioneer (the learning edition of Vue), Hexagon Modeller and Realsoft 3d.

Inspired by some positive comments I purchased 3d coat, used the Carrara 6.2 Pro license to upgrade to Carrara 7 Pro and Daz Studio Advanced. I purchased Vue Esprit so I could contribute more effectively to a community project.

My interest in Carrara and DAZ was the current feature list as well as the fact that both have an SDK. To that extent, if I move away from developing for TS I will have the flexibility to customize the tools I choose with the tools I have.

Vue can be customized with Python.

Blender is another issue entirely. I really like the products capabilities and it may be the nest I land in should I move away from TS.

The high end expensive tools (aka anything Autodesk) are there if there is ever a commercially viable project to get them.

I am sure you will get a lot of other opinions shortly so I hope my 2 cents helps.

Karthogen
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Karthogen »

Thank you for the replies.

I may end up giving blender a try soon, but I keep hearing that the new version is going to change things so much, it would be like having to learn the same program twice.

hmmm... I wil have to look into POVray.

Thank you.

Karthogen
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Karthogen »

Was a reading PVray? Al text based scene setup with it's own Language?