Primal Particles - particularly.

Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Primal Particles - particularly.

Post by Kurt »

Anyone use Primal Particles much? I play around with it a bit. And I was thinking the other day that if you could make and use your own "images", (the tiny images that are used in for the final render, you could make all kinds of different flame, explosion, water, etc effects.

But I tried it, and it didn't work. I opened the "nuage1.tga", ( I think) in Photoshop, and distorted it a bit, then saved it under a different name. But when I used it in a particle animation, it didn't show up! Wouldn't render. Yet it was the same size, same file extension, etc as the ones that come with PP.

Can anybody suggest what I did wrong?

Cheers,
Kurt.

Steve
Master Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Primal Particles - particularly.

Post by Steve »

Uh oh Truespace hat noch einen Wutanfall. The program doesn't particularly get along with you this month it seems eh? I use PPFX too but never had that problem, but that said I could get by with the images that were already there

PPFX every time it first goes to render it tells me to find the images because they go missing, it could be connected to that but couldn't be sure how to go about fixing it, maybe you were on the wrong frame? I know I've done that loads of times

Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

weevil wrote:Uh oh Truespace hat noch einen Wutanfall. The program doesn't particularly get along with you this month it seems eh? I use PPFX too but never had that problem, but that said I could get by with the images that were already there

PPFX every time it first goes to render it tells me to find the images because they go missing, it could be connected to that but couldn't be sure how to go about fixing it, maybe you were on the wrong frame? I know I've done that loads of times
No, it's not the program, it's the operator. But I'm getting it, I'm getting it - slowly. :)

You might have a point there, about the image going missing. I get that message every time, too, about PP not being able to find x.bmp or whatever.

Reason I want different images is really just to see how it makes the effects look. The images they use for the "fire" preset is nothing like a freeze frame of a flame. Looks more like a fan! Of course, it looks alright in the final animation, but I think it could look better.

Cheers,
Kurt

Steve

Post by Steve »

http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... 50&start=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rather shameless self "promotion", have a download of that and if that's the sort of thing you're after I'll see if I can chuck a "how to" out, all I've done is edited the preset particle effects, it's not the best way and having new iamges would be great, I've never had the problem with that and I believe I used my own images before now, but they weren't very good though, or ask design devil very nicely, he's used and is a lot better than I am at it :mrgreen:

Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

It's not shameless when it's deserved, Weevil. Great plane. The hangar is amazing.

I downloaded the "flag" zip, which I presume is what you were referring to re PP. Haven't checked it out yet, but thanks for the link.

Cheers,
Kurt

Steve

Post by Steve »

yes I was refering to the first post in that thread (and thanks for the comment), i cropped out all the ones before it. The one that might be more relevant to you is the other .zip file, that shows an aircraft with jet afterburners and vapour trails. The flag one is more to show off the clothmotion plugin but it also has dust clouds in it.

Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

weevil wrote:The one that might be more relevant to you is the other .zip file, that shows an aircraft with jet afterburners and vapour trails.
Oh, I see. I did download the Test one, but took it over to the downstairs computer and haven't opened it yet.

EDIT: I just downloaded the Test again and opened it up here.

All I can say is, that's just nuts!!!!! How Did You Get That jet vapour effect? It looked just the way the space shuttle exhaust looks. There's that initial flame, then a transparent part, then the flame coalesces to become the full jet blast. You even got the phasing effect of the engine, on the far right-hand one. And I won't even start on the totally convincing handheld camera effect. Amazing, Weevil, just amazing!!!!

Um, if you ever do get the time, and, you know, feel like posting the adjusted settings for those jets, I'll sing at your wedding. No, I'll do better than that, I won't sing at your wedding... :D

Steve

Post by Steve »

Can do, not very good at tutorials though so it might be a little ropey