trueSpace!

frank
Senior Chief Petty Officer

trueSpace!

Post by frank »

Hey guys! Lots of stuff going on lately. First of all, earlier this month we had a baby girl. WOO HOO! :) This is our third child and as with the first two, we are totally thrilled (although I'm already nervous about raising a girl... but that's ok, her older brothers are already defensive of her.)

As far as side-business, I've been building things lately. Selling both locally and online.

Haven't been doing much trueSpace-related stuff, BUT... it hit me that I could combine the two!!!! :)

I frequently get questions related to what types of materials go best together, in terms of style and contrast.
So I got some samples, and snapped pictures of them. These were applied to a 3D model, to scale. I rendered each out (careful to do so from a "locked" camera - ie. same POV).

The end result is this:
onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't linked it from our website yet, so our customers and potential customers don't know about it. I'm still testing and refining it.... and have other things to add first.

But I did want to check with my trueSpace buddies and get your thoughts. I can verify that it works on Opera, Firefox, Chrome, and the latest version of IE.

It uses switchable DIVs and transparent PNG files.

All feedback welcome! THANKS!!!!!!!
Frank
Last edited by frank on 08 Dec 2022, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Prodigy
Site Admin
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: trueSpace and wooden rings?!?!

Post by Prodigy »

Frank first and much more important than your rings!!

CONGRATULATIONS FOR YOUR NEW BABY!!
:bananacheers: :bananaclaus: :bananalove:

That's super cool!!

About your page, working good in Firefox, no problems at all.. and i like it! :bananathumb:
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑
lothissen
Petty Officer First Class

Post by lothissen »

Thats a really good idea Frank. It works really well!

The website looks great too, nice and clean.

That must be some really delicate work, making rings from wood. Do you do any carving into them?
--------------------===============AKA Jayr===============--------------------
------------------=========3D Coat -Lightwave- Messiah=========------------------
frank

Post by frank »

Thanks, Prodigy! :) And thanks for testing the page!

Thanks, lothissen! It is a bit time-consuming, but I enjoy it. I've done some things like cut a letter X and inlay it with a lighter wood. But I guess I haven't really done actual carvings in them.
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Hey Congratulations to you and your wife Frank!

Froo
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Congratulations on the new baby!

I like those rings.

I'm always looking for a way to have my own business. Now that I know about etsy (link on your site) I'm thinking of things I can make.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

If I smoked cigars I'd light one up!
What a strange custom that is, anyway...'c'mon, let's all smoke around the baby!'

I've heard it takes a boy to make a man a father, but it takes a girl to make him a daddy.
Congrats to Mommy and Daddy!

One suggestion I could make re: the rings site:
a highlight square around the currently selected wood type(s) would be a nice visual aid.
It highlights just for a second when you click it (FF 3.5.1) but if the highlight were persistent it would be better. An alternative would be to have the text on the top right (next to the main, dynamic ring image) change to reflect the choices.

No charge at all for doubling your image count, I'm sure you aren't busy, babies hardly take any care because they are so small, right?

Also, what are the rings for? I'm guessing this is your most frequently asked question.
Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

You always wondered why you owned a shotgun...

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy, until they
turn 18 then hate you, turn 20 and discover your cool again...

(I've got three girls, you want another? hehehe)
First Light

Post by First Light »

Great news, frank! Congratulations to you AND your wife on your new daughter!!! :bananalove:

I tried your test page with Internet Explorer 8 and it works fine.

However, I dislike asymmetry (when it can be avoided) and have one suggestion: Change the layout so there are 12 wood samples per row (you have 13 now). This will enable both the "Lining" and "Inlay" sections to be both left and right justified because they each have 24 wood squares. And it will reduce the orphan space of the first section which has 22 squares. If you want the sections to continue to have the same overall width as before, then you will need to widen each square a little.

Of course, my suggestion won't help if you plan to add more wood choices in the future. :D

Best regards, First Light
v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

Your web site is very clean and I like the layout (asymmetry aside) :D.