Modo 601 - what do you think?

Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Modo 601 - what do you think?

Post by Draise »

Tour

modo 601 delivers character animation, dynamics, retopology modeling and rendering advances, plus a wide variety of workflow enhancements. We hope this tour will show you how modo is the uniquely creative tool for artists and designers.
This runs with Luxology and has a GPU prerender viewer so you can model in Ratrayed environments.
It also has trueSpace similar rigging with true Full Body IK rigs, with joint constraints when needed for traditional FK/IK rigs. Fort he price, this looks like one good package, but I want another opinion.

I am currently sticking to Softimage and it's integrated Mental Ray render engine for my current project, because I have a deadline, but I am researching other cheaper, easier and better alternatives for future projects. This program looks promising, and it's focus of a better user experience is drawing me. It reminds me of what trueSpace used to be, let me know what you think! Seems like a good package.

What do you think?

jamesmc
Captain

Re: Modo 601 - what do you think?

Post by jamesmc »

An excellent software, but I already have more than I can ever use. :)
Walk by faith, not by sight.

richlevy
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by richlevy »

I have been using it since 1.01 way back... I stopped upgrading at 4.01... that is till this morning. It looks pretty fun, same basic interface that I am so used to, and than all of the toys from version 5 and now v6... it will take a couple of weeks of noodling around to get up to speed. The videos I am seeing around are great, and the little I have played with the rigging and Posing system I like what I see.

I think they got the inspiration for the rigging and the posing from TS and Messiah, it is really quite interesting. I was wondering if anyone would take the best from each of those programs and incorporate them into their own system. Roman would be proud to know TS bones and rigging are making their way into the 3D market again hehehe. (still not as easy as TS bones, but they are pretty close in some ways)

I don't know if you would like it or not, XSI is a very powerful program, Modo has come a long way over the years, I am not sure if I would get Modo if I had another full featured app like any of the AD programs... Try the demo when they finally release it, maybe it clicks with your brain and the way you enjoy doing things...
My Flickr site, here you can see some of the photography I do:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rich-l/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Finis »

Modo with character animation/bones! Sort of TS style bones! If the bones/skinning work then my 3D dreams have come true. Well, except the dream of having $1200 to spend on software.
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Does anybody here know where I can purchase time ? :D
Peter

Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

And if you’re a 3ds Max, Maya, Cinema 4D, Houdini, LightWave or Softimage user, then you can add modo 601 to your existing pipeline for just $795 (normally $1195) for a limited time only – that’s a 33% saving!
I wish...
At some point in your life this stuff becomes a toy. If I was younger and still in the graphic art profession this deal would make perfect sense.
Draise would be a perfect fit with this deal if he could fit it into his pipeline.

trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

richlevy wrote:I have been using it since 1.01 way back... I stopped upgrading at 4.01... that is till this morning. It looks pretty fun, same basic interface that I am so used to, and than all of the toys from version 5 and now v6... it will take a couple of weeks of noodling around to get up to speed. The videos I am seeing around are great, and the little I have played with the rigging and Posing system I like what I see.

I think they got the inspiration for the rigging and the posing from TS and Messiah, it is really quite interesting. I was wondering if anyone would take the best from each of those programs and incorporate them into their own system. Roman would be proud to know TS bones and rigging are making their way into the 3D market again hehehe. (still not as easy as TS bones, but they are pretty close in some ways)

I don't know if you would like it or not, XSI is a very powerful program, Modo has come a long way over the years, I am not sure if I would get Modo if I had another full featured app like any of the AD programs... Try the demo when they finally release it, maybe it clicks with your brain and the way you enjoy doing things...

General Category / General Discussion / Re: CA tools in Modo 601
on: March 01, 2012, 01:14:09 AM

Started by FishStick - Last post by FishStick

What I would like to know is how fast the animation feedback is compared to Messiah. I noticed that in the ball mouth guy example, the demo was done with subpatches turned off.

Deformation feed back speed is a big consideration when evaluating the merits of CA animation soft. Something that Messiah handles well. Maybe someone here who has got 601 can chime in here
Hey Rich,
Dare to Share?
TIA

froo
Captain

Post by froo »

RAYMAN wrote:Does anybody here know where I can purchase time ? :D
Peter
You can borrow my time machine, Peter. :ugeek:

RAYMAN
Captain