New Stuff for Tutorial

Prodigy
Site Admin
Type the number ten into the box: 0

New Stuff for Tutorial

Post by Prodigy »

Hi community!

Ok! few new modifications on the Tutorial section.

The idea is start to create a big database of tutorials for Truespace or any other 3d or non 3D application.

For that:

1) Model and Workspace side categories are now called Truespace Model and Truespace Workspace.

2) A new "Request tutorials" section was created.

3) New Categories for other 3d applications will be created as soon people want to add new tutorials.

Example, if you made or know a very good tutorial for blender?, we will add a blender tutorial section and then you can attach your tutorial or the link for that one.

I think this will be a good opportunity to all.. for those who want to learn truespace, and for others to learn from users that already use other apps.

Please, comments and request for new categories here!
:bananacheers:
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑
First Light
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Re: New Stuff for Tutorial

Post by First Light »

Hi Prodigy,

I haven't used Blender before but I do recall last year when I went though Justin Barret's trueSpace 7.51 tutorial on modeling a person (Molly) that he offered a similar tutorial with the same model for Blender. I believe it is available for free at the True-Source Shop (http://truesourceshop.com/agoracart55/a ... 92557.4006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

If his Blender version is as good as his trueSpace one, then it would be a good tutorial to include in a new Blender Tutorial forum. Perhaps someone who is familiar with Blender should view it first, write a brief review for United3DArtists and link to the download page at True-Source Shop.

Best regards, First Light
Prodigy
Site Admin

Post by Prodigy »

Let's Start with a Blender Section then :D
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

May I suggest something?

Post by Kurt »

Having just now visited the Scattered Pixels site, I noticed something else he has there, that could be expanded on and made available here.

He has a box showing a lot of the Truespace menu symbols, along with the name and use of each symbol.

Could you esteemed gentlemen add here a full glossary of Truespace Tool terms, for quick reference? :)

A complete list of the names of all the tools used in Truespace and what they mean in practice, as well as a brief sentence describing how the tool is used.

I think that would be very much appreciated by absolute beginner numbskulls like myself. Knowing what tool is being clicked on in the tutorials, and knowing what that tool is going to do, would give us a little edge to understand the tutorials better.

For your consideration. :)

Cheers,
Kurt.
First Light

Re: May I suggest something?

Post by First Light »

Kurt wrote:Could you esteemed gentlemen add here a full glossary of Truespace Tool terms, for quick reference? ...
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the suggestion. If I'm not mistaken, what you're describing already exists in the trueSpace pdf manual. It's called the "QuickGuide". It's the second item (ii) in the index. Or, if you want to open it directly, it is file "QuickGuide.pdf" in c:\trueSpace761\tS\PDFMan\. It is six pages of user interface objects and their labels and it shows the default layout.

In Justin's "Interface" video, he shows how he customized trueSpace 7.5 by locating often-used controls where he likes them in the user interface. This is why the order and location of some of his tools doesn't match the default layout of the program when it is first installed. While this is a great feature of trueSpace (being able to rearrange the user interface to suit the way you work) it can make things confusing for some beginners. So Justin wisely took the time to explain his layout so viewers of his training videos would not be lost.

Lastly, trueSpace has a built-in tooltip help facility. Simply hover your mouse over a button and its name should pop up. So when you see a tool used in a trueSpace training video, pause the video and hover your mouse over the same tool in your copy of the program to see its name.

If those two helps are not sufficient, then let us know what you need and hopefully someone can provide it.

lothissen
Petty Officer First Class

Post by lothissen »

Prodigy wrote:Let's Start with a Blender Section then :D
Could i propose a lightwave section? I've been scouting around for lightwave tutorials for a while now and i've got a decent list of them i could post links to.
--------------------===============AKA Jayr===============--------------------
------------------=========3D Coat -Lightwave- Messiah=========------------------
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Re: May I suggest something?

Post by Kurt »

Okay, thanks, First Light. I guess I should read more carefully. I tend to skip stuff to get to the "juicy" bits. :)
Prodigy
Site Admin

Post by Prodigy »

Could i propose a lightwave section? I've been scouting around for lightwave tutorials for a while now and i've got a decent list of them i could post links to.
new section for Lightwave and Zbrush.. remember you can add tutorials from Youtube..

Question:
Should the tutorial not be visible by visitors? but yes only by members??
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑
Kurt
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Kurt »

Prodigy wrote:[quote

Question:
Should the tutorial not be visible by visitors? but yes only by members??
Would be a way to get people to join up.

On the other hand, anyone who has just downloaded Truespace for free, and then come here for help in using it, is likely to think, "Aha! I knew there'd be a catch!" Probably think there were some hidden fees involved.

Also, if people can't get tutorials for Truespace, they might just give up on it.

Just a thought.
First Light

Post by First Light »

Hi Prodigy,

If we prevent visitors from accessing the tutorials forums, it may appear unfriendly. Have you ever used Google to find an answer to a problem only to follow a promising link and discover that you can't view the webpage because you're not a member? It can be very frustrating.

I don't think it will do any harm to allow visitors to view the tutorials forums so I'm in favor of allowing them access. After all, they can't post anything until they register and that is expected.

Is there something else we could do to encourage visitors to register? For example, can you prevent visitors from downloading attachments? If you could, then you'd also want a message to pop up when they click on an attachment to explain that they need to register. Otherwise they'll think the attachment link is broken.