GPU rendering and the future of trueSpace

RAYMAN
Captain

Re: GPU rendering and the future of trueSpace

Post by RAYMAN »

pugman 1 wrote:I agree with Rayman , i have 22 apps on my pc if i cant do what i want
in one app i can do it in another they all work together just import and export,
example, i rigged a chain in blender for vue ,vue did not eccept it so i rigged it in posser
it went into vue like a dream .
Dont think there is a big problem in the Blender (Collada) exporter that couldnt be solved......
I guess that could be done in a very restricted timeframe....
Would be usefull for many people. ! ;)
Peter

Tiles
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Tiles »

Just report it as a bug. Campbell Barton is one of the fastest bug fixers in the blender staff :)
Free Gamegraphics, Freeware Games http://reinerstilesets.de

RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Tiles wrote:Just report it as a bug. Campbell Barton is one of the fastest bug fixers in the blender staff :)
I seem to get to the bug page and there are numerous complaints about the Collada exporter some closed some not..
I dont see a bug report button though.....where is it.. ?
Peter
UPDATED : Done ! reported the bug to the blenders . org

Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Draise »

Thanks guys for all the insight and advice! It was sometimes hard to swallow, but all very wise. I am still young, ambitious and yes, sometimes can get a bit carried away. ;)

It would be cool to get to a level of production where studios like Weta Workshops or Pixar or Dreamworks has the luxury to develop their own software and platforms according to their needs. In house software.... But that will be a dream a long way away........ :?

I tend to agree with using current software and the like, as I do it myself, from vue to autodesk's mudbox and softimage among other software.

My goals are really what I mentioned above, the whole GPU rendering and the time saved. Ease of use, ease to learn, and artistic funcionality, smart rigging, and the get go from work to animation to a final product in no time, fast enough to keep the imagination pumping without being bogged down by the technical. Do do this, I'll follow your advice and I'll keep my production line up to date with current software in the market today. Your advice is very good.
Concerning GPU, I will play with TS as a hobbie, but for produciton, I will try convince my work to invest in Thea or Octane. I will keep with those programs and their progress.

Considering Blender, I will wait a little more till the UI is a bit better and the next release with an official Cycles plugin.
http://www.cgcookie.com/blender/2011/09 ... er-engine/
But I'd love to delve into it eventually.. but considering it's learning curve, seriously the whole idea of migrating to and learning Blender seems daunting! But maybe for legal (piracy is big here..) and production costs in SA to the world, it may be a good idea.
It would also be good to try plant ideas of a true rag-doll type IK rigs like TS in blender, then I'd use the program hands down! I could try focus on developing that already... Then the whole dream of in house software COULD become something with Blender.

Considering polygon modelling, indeed, TS is a worthy tool to still keep.

I'm still learning what my workflow is, trying out different programs, methods, production processes, and trying to get a good looking, easy and fast render times and productions without the need of Renderfarms and without a steep learning curve.

But thanks everyone for the advice. :D

I guess the whole focus of the forums could eventually shift from TS to other software, tech help, tutorials, scripts, plugins, development, etc with the whole idea of producing art or helping production and inspiring, encouraging etc.. instead of just TS followers/TS ex users....... ;) I like this place.

v3rd3
Lieutenant Commander

Post by v3rd3 »

I think the reason this forum exists is still a mystery to some of the newer members. Basically, the folks that started this forum were those that had a strong sense of community from the caligari forums... basically we are here because we like each other and share a common interest in using truespace.

Also, we all realize that we have some work to do to migrate to new pipelines that suit or needs but we spend most of our time talking truespace.

TBH I am simply to lazy to try to be a part of 23 other software forums and the group here are not competitors but support each other with various forms of encouragement.

I hope to you enjoy being a part of this community for some time.

Tommy
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Tommy »

I think the reason this forum exists is still a mystery to some of the newer members. Basically, the folks that started this forum were those that had a strong sense of community from the caligari forums... basically we are here because we like each other and share a common interest in using truespace.

Also, we all realize that we have some work to do to migrate to new pipelines that suit or needs but we spend most of our time talking truespace.

TBH I am simply to lazy to try to be a part of 23 other software forums and the group here are not competitors but support each other with various forms of encouragement.

I hope to you enjoy being a part of this community for some time.
I totally agree!! But i will, in the end, rather say: For a long time.
"Carpe diem"

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

HI! I did a little review, or tried out Octane and Thea. I mentioned it in my current WIP (I have two, but one is on hold... bummer)

Here is a link to what I wrote about it (It's in there somewhere):
http://united3dartists.com/forum/vi ... f=5&t=3085