What are you doing?

marcel
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

What are you doing?

Post by marcel »

Past few months I see a lot of people talking about software choices and learning (a good thing) but I do not see many comments on real projects and achievements. I feel like I live in a world of students with no real purpose and I have no age for that :) . It would be nice to have an idea of your 3d future projects without having to talk about software. it seems to me that the software used to implement the wishes or I do not see what it can serve.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr

jamesmc
Captain

Re: What are you doing?

Post by jamesmc »

It's akin to the "Ferrari" dream.

That is, everyone wants to be a race car driver, but can't afford even the entry level. If they are not mechanically inclined, they slap on chrome muffler pipes and put a new paint job on the old pickup truck.

Wut? Doesn't everyone do that?

Problem is, not everyone has the skill or the courage it takes to be a race car drive. People forget that being a mechanic, the tire changer or the "gopher" that brings the 'water bottle' to the driver to get oneself in the experience.

For me, I bought 3D software, because I wanted to build a graphical story of my family's history. I got sidetracked with the methodologies instead of just doing it. I kept forgetting that graphics can have version number. You know, start with the basic sketch - stickmen - boxes for houses and work my way up. I wanted to go straight for the eye-popping masterpiece. This lead to my neverending search for the "easy button" which never happened.

Thanks for the reminder Marcel, I can refocus my efforts and "begin to begin."
Walk by faith, not by sight.

marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Sometimes it takes longer to search how to do rather than doing. Today I prefer to go forward without knowing how. When a project begins motivation comes naturally and the solutions. Not a rational methods, but works fine for me. :)

compPanda
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by compPanda »

marcel wrote:Past few months I see a lot of people talking about software choices and learning (a good thing) but I do not see many comments on real projects and achievements. I feel like I live in a world of students with no real purpose and I have no age for that :) . It would be nice to have an idea of your 3d future projects without having to talk about software. it seems to me that the software used to implement the wishes or I do not see what it can serve.
I am doing a project for a railway line in Trainz 2010 (a railway simulator). What I am doing is trying to make a old railway line that was shutdown 1970 and torn up the year after.
This mean that I will have to make several houses that is important for the lines appearance, I have to make several stations and other buildings also. I also need to make a couple of wagons and preferable some engines. I try to model as much as possible in Truespace but I have to export them to Blender to be able to export them to Trainz using the exporter from Blender....
That is why I have a problem trying to get a model over from TS to Blender right now....

Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

Sometimes I feel like this site has become text driven site instead of an Artwork driven place.
It amazes me about the number of people that visit here but never shows ANYTHING they are doing.
No scripts,no animation, no 3D, no future projects, nothing.
It is disheartening.

I would like to animate one of my characters and show it here. That is my plan.

Breech Block
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Breech Block »

Currently, myself and the rest of the team at Firebird Studios are well into the second year of our first CGI short - Toy Wars. The story centres around a young boy who gets the ultimate birthday present. All the props and sets have been made in tS and are about 95% complete, the dialogue has all been recorded and the characters, about 13 in all, are currently undergoing final tweaks in the costume department via Poser. We should begin the animation and rendering phase within the next month or so before entering a quite prolonged post-production schedule. Visit our website for more info.

marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Thank you for sharing your project. I hope this year will be creative for you. I'd like to make pictures this year by more attention to the message. Less effect and more idea.

spacekdet
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10
Location: On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Post by spacekdet »

Currently trying to figure out a way to shoehorn a 15,000 pixel wide panorama into a QTVR scene.

Benji
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Benji »

Sometimes I feel like this site has become text driven site instead of an Artwork driven place.
If you want to create the impression that the focus of the site is artwork, my advice would be to make sure that that is obvious from the moment someone gets here. There are currently 20-odd topics in the main forum, it's easy to miss the wip and finished art sections. There also isn't any art bar at the top of the forum a'la zbrush etc.

At least, I would recommend putting the gallery section of the forum at the top, maybe make it bigger font or something, big red exclamation marks, whatever to draw attention to it. Although I'm not a fan of sub-forums per se, you could also consider rationalize the main forum entrance down to two topics, "artwork" and "everything else". At least then you may get more people looking at the art bits. Coming to this forum for the first time is a bit intimidating, although I realize that all of the forums are there for a reason.

I see this complaint made on many forums, but I think sometimes you have to make things obvious to people, and provide as much encouragement as you can (myself included).

As far as what I'm doing 3d wise, well I'm spending every spare moment I have trying to get my head around Messiah. It's all grand stating that the software doesn't matter and to go out and make art, but I have spent years trying to find software that can handle the projects I'm interested in doing, without frustrating me too much.

I have high standards, and learning a new app is hard. I've had to do a lot of wrangling to get apps that are up to the job, but don't break the bank. Now that I thankfully seem to be coming to the end of this process somewhat, I think I should be able to do the kind of stuff I want to.

Anyway, I'll try post more WIP work at least, as I have been lazy in this area.

Breech Block
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Breech Block »

Not wanting to get off-topic, but just to add a bit more fuel to Benji's comments: I was speaking to someone just a week or two ago about the SMC. The person is an infrequent U3DA visitor but has posted a fair few questions and comments in the past. When they they logged in again to check-out the compo, they just couldn't find it and soon after their interest waned.