Messiah and trueSpace

Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Messiah and trueSpace

Post by Steinie » 19 Feb 2011, 13:10

Notice how U3DA slowed down? I think a lot of users are waiting for the release of Messiah today.
I am not sure if Messiah will hurt or help activity here. My own work will keep trueSpace in the mix (if possible)
and I'll share my results here.
It is nice to see the return of long-time friends. Maybe we will share a common application again.

Does anyone remember when Roman flipped out over a discussion of Messiah years ago? I think it was Dele comparing
trueSpace and Messiah. That was the moment I became aware of Messiah.
If Roman was that upset about a user even discussing Messiah at the Caligari Forums then it must be good....

Thanks again Roman! :lol:

I am surprised how many users don't use the free trueSpace app with Messiah. Maybe it is over-kill or the fact that Messiah doesn't play well
with N-Gons?

Messiah has no Modeler. It needs another Application to create objects. If trueSpace and Messiah play well together it could help trueSpace.
I wonder if it would be possible for someone here to write code to connect the two like 3DCoat and Messiah has?

marcel
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Messiah and trueSpace

Post by marcel » 19 Feb 2011, 15:05

About slowed down:
Always waiting for the release of a software is something that can ruin our life if it prevents us from creating. Hardly you master new software, here is a new announcement. Must go through with what we undertake regardless of progress during our work to focus on work. After there will always be easy to take a new train for a new challenge. But by running to the fastest train so obsessive, sometime we forget why we take it. It is the best way to lose enthusiasm after several years.
Transform this forum to a tutorial for software will not help the interests of its contents. There are plenty of tutorial on the Internet with a quality far superior to what we can do. It's a waste of time. At least show a trick or technique in connection with a wip. In the name of this forum there is the word "artist" and show work in progress is what is more interesting. This is the best thing to use to make the forum more fun and lively any software used. Frankly, I do not care if I see ideas really personal.
I had this discussion several months ago and I realize that this forum become more technical than artistic. Perhaps that is the wish of many but it also explains that most artists of former Caligari no longer follow. Fortunately, the mood remained courteous.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr

jamesmc
Captain

Post by jamesmc » 19 Feb 2011, 16:02

A lot of Messiah reminds me of Lightwave3D which I have. Not sure if I'll be gaining anything or not with the purchase.

We'll see.
Walk by faith, not by sight.

marcel
Captain

Post by marcel » 19 Feb 2011, 18:06

Matter of affinity. Difficult to know in advance. Software quality is not the most important. Must also keep the motivation. When the three met, it can become great. :)
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr

RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN » 19 Feb 2011, 18:43

Pretty interesting how things develop here.......
Messiah is a very good tool i said it a dozen times but how should truespace play with Messiah other
then being a modeler for it ?
why shoud Truespace not be a good modeler for Messiah ?
But thats just about it !
Other then that Truespace doesnt play well with Messiah at the moment.....
80 % of the work i have seen in the past on this site was 100 % different to what Messiah is well known for......
Its a charcter animation tool with a decent render engine.....at an unbeatable price....
Most of the people here rendered stills of different things.... houses ..objects..... vehicles........
Even Marcels animations wasnt heavily into character animations.........
Character animations inside a program like Messiah is daunting... takes a long time to get used to.......
modeling and rigging a human being with all the joints isnt easy........ setting up all the joints etc......fingers and the facial expression
and even talking figures.....
I use Vue as the final application and Poser and daz studio play much better with it............. messiah is much more capable dont get me wrong
but I prefer that workflow........its much much much easier.....and there is little you cant do......
Truespace plays very well with Vue and both Poser and Daz (I call Vue and Daz and Truespace and Poser the golden square) not Messiah.... mainly because of Collada export...
Peter

Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie » 19 Feb 2011, 19:08

Hey I do characters so Messiah would fit perfectly in my work flow. I could use trueSpace to model
as you said but can I control the N-Gons in trueSpace as I asked before?
I can also use trueSpace to render scenes and overlay animation in an editor if I decided to. There are different approaches other then your own workflow.
Your workflow works for you why question others?
I think trueSpace gets the short stick way too much. Pretty soon it will have a better rendering engine VRAy Stan-Alone.
In the past I have combined images created with two different rendering engines for effect. Worked great.
I have seen where someone here struggles with DOF when it can be done in seconds with Photoshop.
Marcel approaches 3D as an Artist. Others are technicians utilizing the code. I admire both.

RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN » 19 Feb 2011, 19:33

Steinie wrote:Hey I do characters so Messiah would fit perfectly in my work flow. I could use trueSpace to model
as you said but can I control the N-Gons in trueSpace as I asked before?
I can also use trueSpace to render scenes and overlay animation in an editor if I decided to. There are different approaches other then your own workflow.
Your workflow works for you why question others?
I think trueSpace gets the short stick way too much. Pretty soon it will have a better rendering engine VRAy Stan-Alone.
In the past I have combined images created with two different rendering engines for effect. Worked great.
I have seen where someone here struggles with DOF when it can be done in seconds with Photoshop.
Marcel approaches 3D as an Artist. Others are technicians utilizing the code. I admire both.
Steinie what I said was that once you are in Messsiah you cant easily go back to another application if it doesnt have fbx.......
Foreget the idea of Vray standalone with Truespace and Messiah.....you would need the exporter for Messiah..
N gons arent good for animations as such so dont use them ! If you do character animations youd want to do as many quads as possible.....
Truespace as a modeler yes that works ......you dont have to use ngons with truespace just make triangles out of those few ngons...

I´m also telling you because either a collada exporter for messiah would be great and an importer..... or in case of Vue I´m not sure if will have fbx pretty soon so you may have afew more interesting options that way .. that would be an interesting project for some coders.....
Peter

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis » 19 Feb 2011, 20:34

What is the best way to get models from TS to Messiah? Does Silo work and play well with Messiah?

I'm happy to get Messiah but I'm not waiting for it on my current project -- just busy with other things. I don't even expect to be able to use it soon. Even the renderer, the first thing I intend to learn, will take time. I am waiting on any new projects until I have non-TS software because I've outgrown the things TS is good at and entered the parts of it that are unfinished or full of bugs. TS is great but I'm tired of being limited by my software. I'm looking for software that challenges me to grow and learn new things.

I don't expect Messiah's power to be easy to use. Power comes with a price and since we got it cheap the price is the time, determination, and effort needed to learn the program. Kind of like Blender.

One reason 80% of what you see here is 100% different than the character animation Messiah is noted for is that people here couldn't do character animation because we use TS. Now that some have a tool that excels at it we will see it.

Someone should create a good Vue-Messiah pipeline because Vue is great.
Death to the parasites.
Send in the scoops.

RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN » 19 Feb 2011, 21:01

Finis wrote:What is the best way to get models from TS to Messiah? Does Silo work and play well with Messiah?

I'm happy to get Messiah but I'm not waiting for it on my current project -- just busy with other things. I don't even expect to be able to use it soon. Even the renderer, the first thing I intend to learn, will take time. I am waiting on any new projects until I have non-TS software because I've outgrown the things TS is good at and entered the parts of it that are unfinished or full of bugs. TS is great but I'm tired of being limited by my software. I'm looking for software that challenges me to grow and learn new things.

I don't expect Messiah's power to be easy to use. Power comes with a price and since we got it cheap the price is the time, determination, and effort needed to learn the program. Kind of like Blender.

One reason 80% of what you see here is 100% different than the character animation Messiah is noted for is that people here couldn't do character animation because we use TS. Now that some have a tool that excels at it we will see it.

Someone should create a good Vue-Messiah pipeline because Vue is great.
Thats my saying !
Silo works well with Messiah just like any other render engine or animation package even Moi or Rhino work well with it.
The only problemis that once you do high grade animations inside Messiah you are stuck inside the messiah render engine....
If you dont want that you need to find a way to export with Collada or a way to import with fbx from messiah....
Then you can use some of the functions...
A way I could think of that theoretically does it is Animeeple !
Peter
Attachments
oktapussy.gif
you see an animation saved as a Collada file....
oktapussy.gif (955.02 KiB) Viewed 1723 times

Math Path
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Math Path » 19 Feb 2011, 22:16

RAYMAN wrote:File comment: you see an animation saved as a Collada file....
Nice beast! Could you please tell us a bit more detailed, how it was born? What App? where exported, etc...