Pixelogic acquire Sculptris

Benji
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pixelogic acquire Sculptris

Post by Benji »

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread ... ge=1&pp=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting development, and a great compliment for the developer.

Normally, this kind of thing would annoy me, but I don't have the same sense of foreboding that I did when truespace was acquired by $atan. In fact I think it could be a very good thing for Sculptris.

Anyway, we'll see.
Prodigy
Site Admin
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Pixelogic acquire Sculptris

Post by Prodigy »

Sculptris is quite good to be free, good enough to make people desist to buy zbrush..
I bet they will discontinued it in a few months.. :cry:
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑
froo
Captain

Post by froo »

heh Double Click to run it, Crash.
Benji

Post by Benji »

I bet they will discontinued it in a few months..
I'm not sure they will.

It actually makes sense to have a cheap, easy to use application to sway people from using open source apps or 3dcoat etc. PL have made a new forum for it as well.
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by splinters »

Wow, what a great app. I have never really used paint/brush based modelling as I don't like too much intricate detail on my characters (last one I tried was Mudbox) but I just had a play with this and made this head in around 10 mins. Imported it to TS, added some stock eyes, hood and eyebrows and voila. Very intuitive and quite powerful...I may well use this.

Admittedly, the image is not great...but c'mon, 10 minutes!! Anyone who knows my style and speed of working will know why I like this app...
Attachments
oldface.jpg
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

What is much different to all the other sculpting programs like Mudbox and Zbrush and 3d coat is that it doesnt have an overwhelming amount of features
and a mindboggling interface, its simple to use and powerfull. Pixologic better keep it that way !Its a real alternative.I would just ad an image painter thats all.Something like image ink (modo)or that 3d coat has to paint onto the surface with a picture. :)
Benji

Post by Benji »

You can do something like this in sculptris with projection painting. You have to save as a psd and go back and forth between photoshop, so it's not as good, but it seems to work. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with gimp or any other non-PS app that I've tried.
RAYMAN
Captain

Post by RAYMAN »

Benji wrote:You can do something like this in sculptris with projection painting. You have to save as a psd and go back and forth between photoshop, so it's not as good, but it seems to work. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with gimp or any other non-PS app that I've tried.
Ok thanks for the info good to know !
Peter
tamtam
Petty Officer First Class

Post by tamtam »

At my first real attempt after downloading Sculptris, I made a guineapig (rodent), and I didn't paint it in Sculptris because the back of the mesh was too low-polygon to pull out some feet or more of the legs, but it's a start. I wanted it to be low-polygon, so I could use it in a 3d game someday, maybe. Sculptris crashed on me when I went too high with the ammount of polygons, before I made the guineapig, and that's when I was testing it out, trying to get a feel for how to use it. And I thought my computer was very good for high ammounts of polygons and other graphics. Yet again, I don't know all the specifics of the hardware of my computer. Maybe it's outdated by now, since technology advances fast.

Anyway, here is an image of my guinea pig in Sculptris:
Attachments
My low-polygon Sculptris Guinea Pig, which I made from a sphere.
My low-polygon Sculptris Guinea Pig, which I made from a sphere.
JimB
Chief Petty Officer

Post by JimB »

tamtam it would be best to go to as high a resolution as you need for best definition and after retopolise to the resolution you want for games.