network rendering

noko
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Re: network rendering

Post by noko »

I like to render to .png since it has about a 4:1 compression but is non-destructive to image quality. Plus render huge, like in 3840x2160 (double HD) and post process using batch capability of PaintShop Pro for each frame. This allows tremendous anti-aliasing quality, image effects plus change image size to any value I want to be compile by video program.
marcel
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by marcel »

Prodigy wrote:#Marcel:
In truespace the Render Res. will depend directly on the complexity of your scene.. Number of polygons textures etc.. Remember we have a 2gig memory limit.. i still using dvd res for most of my work.. also cos most of the people doesn't has a bluray player here.. :S but i like 720p :) is a nice hd res to work..

More than 1080p its insane cos is not visible difference.. maybe in a cinema, but not on a hd screen.. when i was working with plasmas i found you can see a real difference between a 720p and 1080p if you are closer than 2 meters on a 40".. :geek:
For my new movie "B.O.T." I use 720p for another reason: to do realtime special effect i need to have the movie in his real size on the screen + the interface of the soft. My 1920x1200 screen size can do that. For a full hd post process it is not enought and i need a 2560x1600 screen size. To see the difference between 720 and 1080, you need a 40" or more and the movie need to have very little details. in this case, 1080 is really better because it is the native resolution of a full hd screen and the movie have no upscaling. More than 1080p in computer is not for tomorrow. But it will be useful for "digital wall" in 3 or 4 years. :mrgreen:
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

I understand the reason to use individual images, My personal preferance is to use AVI with no compression.
I have an external 200gig drive that I use for a shared directory(drive) for my objects and scenes.
Why an external, if I have to travel which I do often for work I can take the drive with me and still work on my stuff in my spare time.
As for the shared area that my animation is rendered to I have an HP NetServe LH Pro server that has 6 200 gig scsi drives in it that is where I store my rendered animation. I have a tape backup on it that I use to do a backup on when I am working on a project.
Each of the drives in the server are removable and I have 6 more drives that are 80 gig each that I can swap them with.
My wife says I have enough computer power to raise the titanic, you know what us animators say, the more toys the more fun.
frank

Post by frank »

I agree with Prodigy about rendering to TGA frames. It is the only format I render to, unless I'm simply doing a "playblast" or test.

One other benefit is that it does offer lossless RLE compression* when the 24-bit option is selected.

* Run Length Encoding... which works really well on computer-generated imagery because it says "This pixel value occurs X amount of times in this row." as opposed to writing out each pixel. It does decrease file size, with no loss in quality.
jeffroig
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by jeffroig »

What software are you using to compile the individual images back into an avi type file.
I currently use Adobe Premiere for editing.
frank

Post by frank »

I use Adobe After Effects. I've used Premiere before as well and, if I recall (this was on an older version), it allows you to load an image file sequence.
Just be sure the files are named sequentially (ie. Frame_0001, Frame_0002, Frame_0003...).
Prodigy
Site Admin

Post by Prodigy »

I use Virtual Dub to compile, is fast, powerful, handy and free..

Just drag the first image000.ext from your sequence and vdub will import all the sequence.. you can also cut, add some basic effects like brightness, watermark etc..

Without doubt the easiest way to convert a sequence to Avi.
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑
CyborgPrime
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by CyborgPrime »

wow that is a great work around - for some reason I never thought of loading ts on multiple machines and having each to a different section. Brilliant!
Engelskrieger79
Petty Officer First Class
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Post by Engelskrieger79 »

Does anyone know if there is any chance to get the TSnet Plugin for freesomewhere after all this time?