72%

Total votes: 25

Prodigy
Site Admin
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Time to Poll

Post by Prodigy »

Ok guys! i have a question..

as you may see, there's a ton of new users but sadly the most never say nothing..
So there's a option to purge users that are not active for a long time..

What to you think? Delete them or not??
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑

pugman 1
Captain

Re: Time to Poll

Post by pugman 1 »

Maybe they should have a time limit
If not active within 1 month delete

Prodigy
Site Admin

Post by Prodigy »

1 month is not enough.. maybe 6 months or more..
๑۩۞۩๑ prodigy ๑۩۞۩๑

LeonRegis
Captain
Location: Brazil/Earth/Orion Arm/Milky Way/4th Dimension/This Universe/Multiverse???/Singularity???

Post by LeonRegis »

those with 0 posts and more than 6 months should be wiped out without doubt, also those with less than 10 posts after 6 months too.
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mohandas Gandhi

Rotcorp
Petty Officer First Class

Post by Rotcorp »

I understand the need for housekeeping, but my concern is that deleting these guys might also kick out some of the old core from the original caligari forums. If you look at the members, you'll notice that some like Norm and Tom G don't have a huge number of postings, and yet I personally wouldn't want to see them get deleted. Of course, I also have a certain level of self preservation to think of too, as I don't post all that often (I do tend to come on at least once a week to browse around and ask the occasional question). I also haven't seen Roman on here often, but I think deleting his membership in a forum dedicated for the most part to a product he created would seem a little odd. Just my 2 cents, don't mean to step on toes.

nigec
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by nigec »

I agree you need to be careful who you delete

pugman 1
Captain

Post by pugman 1 »

Sorry i forgot about Tom Jack Roman and the others
i agree with Rotcorp

Steinie
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by Steinie »

I think they should be deleted since they can always easily re-register.
My feeling is a 6 Month limit. No activity in the last 6 Months---delete.
Wouldn't you rather see actual users here then drifters? I also think the
Moderator list should be updated with people that actually participate.
This site has a very liberal open door policy but dead wood should always
be trimmed.
Just my thoughts.

Tom G. hasn't responded to my emails for the last year and I have tried many different ways.
He probably is putting Caligari behind him and moving on.
Norm....does he even try to come here?
Roman DOES come here to visit.

Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

I think the criterion for deletion should be how long it has been since a member logged in. I'd want at least 6 months before deletion.

Is it possible to automate an email to long-time-no-long-in members asking if they want to continue? I think most who aren't interested would not reply and the default could be to delete them. Maybe there are plug-ins for the forum software for that.

Some things to consider:
  • Some are important like Roman. Even if activity is very rare they should not be deleted.
  • Some are inactive for long periods but then return. Do we really want Butterpaw, Tahnoak, or Mr.3D to have to re-register?
  • Some are readers who don't post but do benefit from reading the posts. Non-members can read but if someone logs in occasionally then he should not be deleted. I log in when I just want to read so I can use View New Posts.
  • Deleted people can re-register if they are still interested.
  • If a deleted member who has posted re-registers can admin/moderators assign his former posts to his new account? Can they otherwise restore his previous account?
  • Do deleted members posts remain in the forum? We don't want to lose valuable info. from those who did, but no longer, post.
  • Deleted members should be notified so they can re-register if they are still interested.
  • Some formerly active members may be using non-TS software now and aren't aware that U3DA isn't just for TS. Inform them that they are welcome here.
Steinie wrote:I also think the Moderator list should be updated with people that actually participate.
Who are the moderators? Prodigy and Steinie. Anyone else?

marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Leonregis wrote: "those with 0 posts and more than 6 months should be wiped out without doubt, also those with less than 10 posts after 6 months too."
i am afraid and against all politic of numbers. Is 10 bad post more important than one very good post?

1 - If you want to delete one member, delete all his post: if you want to keep his post then keep this member even if he is not on the forum since a year. May be he have problems and i am sure he could not appreciate to be deleted because he have not the quota of post to have the right to be here.
2- NEVER delete a member who help the forum with a donation even after several years of inactivity.
3- If you want to delete some members, i don't like the idea to keep "important" people if they have not the "quota" and change the name "United3dArtists" to "VIP3dArtists". The rules would be the same for all.
4- I would not to be re-register if i was deleted without a notification and i would like to have the right to erase all my post before. Maybe that point is the most important before to do a rule. Delete a member and keep his work would be a very bad idea!
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr