Bryce 4 & trueSpace 4 & FAKE Everything Else....

Technical questions, etc..
Krowbarh
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Bryce 4 & trueSpace 4 & FAKE Everything Else....

Post by Krowbarh »

Seems like there would be a Bryce 'Sector' on here as it seems like Bryce imports COBs quite well retaining colors & what-not just do a 'smoothing' on the faceted & ready to go...

But then there's the FAKERY...Fake News, Fake Governments, Fake Ads, CERTAINLY Fake Fiat Currency...The list goes ON & ON...

So why not FAKE RADIOSITY?...It'll fit right in...

Here's tS 4 VINCENT in Bryce 4 with fake radiosity-

This is a 'Quarter-Sphere' or 'Stage' of 115 lights all set at a power of '1' out of 100 with Sun disabled...See here-

This is the least amount of lights in the setup there is up to 450 or something like that...Good for some things & not others as it's not real radiosity thus controlling brightness a problem especially when you got a bright surface like this Bryce 4 GUI INSIDE Bryce 4-

Too washed out there & moving lights don't work well as farther away you get the less radiosity effect you get...

But still good for certain kinda scenes or settings-

I got this model at the 'Trek Meshes' site it was in COB with creator really bragging up trueSpace for modelling who knows maybe a member here...

Render didn't finish as I musta 'hit something' but close enough as it was well over an hour getting this far as model is almost a half-million polygons but this is old 15 year-old dual core just 3 GB RAM but Bryce 4 REAL GOOD handling the polys-

I have to say after using Bryce 4 I find later versions 'junky'...Too bad Kai Krause had to sell out & buy up that castle as Metacreations was REAL GOOD in Bryce support...Corel was terrible then there was DAZZZZZZzzzzzzz which screw up everything either right away or down the road...

So if you wanna try this it is at this direct DL Link-

https://web.archive.org/web/20110903195 ... _domes.zip

It's a pack of domes in OBP format working in Bryce 4 so should work in any after...

Information on the concept is here unfortunately some images will not come back but all text there-

https://web.archive.org/web/20030415120 ... osity.html
Finis
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Bryce 4 & trueSpace 4 & FAKE Everything Else....

Post by Finis »

I liked Bryce. It had GI lighting. Called True Ambience? That bounced the light around. Don't know what version but it was when Daz had it.

Marcel used it along with TS and Poser to make great stuff. http://www.crea-vision.fr/illustrations/index.html
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Krowbarh

Post by Krowbarh »

Those all rendered in Bryce? Pretty top-notch for sure....

True Ambience?...Yeah I was watching Brinnen do some of that but I think most miss the most important feature that has been in EVERY version & that is ticking 'Volumetric World' on the atmosphere tab also saving in anything but JPG will also help...

Here's Bryce 3D Final from early 1997 version-

I can kinda understand back in the day of very grim machines not using it but most should've for the last 20 years...

Also in ADDITION to that OR by itself one can render out depth, altitude & mask maps for a variety of ingenious sinister outcomes-

All those just take mere seconds to create...

On the old Bryce Masters I have to say I 'Trip Out' on what Bill Munns used to do...

Get this-

His Braj Mahal completely modeled in bryce-

Night scene-

the night scene took nearly 5 more days to render!! You'd be praying for no power glitches...

Here he shows the whole process-

https://web.archive.org/web/20010414085 ... mahal.html

AMAZING!!!

He also has a 'Bryce as a Paint Tool'...

https://web.archive.org/web/20031004080 ... cetut.html

Also on there he was making eyeballs from terrains!!!
Krowbarh

Post by Krowbarh »

Continuing on with 3D Test & Review of the utmost importance of our modern world today...

So would 23 year-old Bryce 4 import a million polygon model?

Considering it's very reasonable requirements for the time-

That's from a October 1999 snapshot...

I took Zbrush DemoSoldier & divided mesh a couple times to get over a million & export to OBJ...

Perhaps someone else has tried this but certainly 'Not in front of the Klingons'...

However YES...It DOES!...Took about a minute & 20 seconds for it to be 'Eaten'-

1,041,408 Polygons...Moves a little slow in DX mode...

So will it render it?...Yeah it used 250 MB RAM just to have that model loaded dropped to 170 after the render...Using 15 year-old dual-core-

Saving & reopening as BR4 file also fine...

I was betting that it WOULD succeed as this appears to be quite a tight piece of coding before being pawned off to highest bidder...

64 MB of RAM 'recommended' LOL...There were commercial image viewers of the time that had same requirements as Bryce 4...
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

Bryce. Several million polys. I think the final had a bit over 5 million https://www.united3dartists.com/forum/v ... 2&start=20.
The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

well, if you like this old sw, its pretty awesome it is still usable for you and handles that much. Good luck with that - I hope to see some new artwork made in Bryce4!
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Krowbarh

Post by Krowbarh »

Thanks for prodding there bitkar...Yeah, I am experimenting finding this old Bryce quite surprising...

I think it would handle a lower poly Zbrush export ro OBJ with the UVtiles or AUVtiles just fine...Maybe 500,000 to 700,000 polys as the 1 million is a bit much quite slow for single model that high...

HOWEVER I think it will 'eat' the choppy 'Per-Face' UV map because it seems to accept those from Nendo easily...Nothing need done, upon import it accepts the OBJ with the MTL & all maps in correct orientation...

My BiBeast I modeled in Nendo a couple years ago-

Exported as OBJ inc MTL & all maps SUCH AS-
BODY-

TONGUE-

In Bryce 4 import takes a couple seconds all good nothing left to do not even smoothing I just added a procedural bump & a slight specular halo to get more of a 'Battle-Worn Orange Peel' look-

So should also work well for Mirai's 'Per-Face' mapping as well as that spat out by the various Zbrushes...

I have tried this imported into C4Ds and XSI they both hated such UV tiling...More Bryce amazement...
Krowbarh

Post by Krowbarh »

And Finis...You talking about this image?-

Look like the Gal eats up some polys but studying it looks like you got what grasses going way back into the horizon? That's probably what ate it all up then...I can't go that high of polys on my old machines I woulda had to use meshes up front then change to 2D TIFF images scattered in the background of same grass...

Great going though very thorough project for sure....
Krowbarh

Post by Krowbarh »

Continuing on....

Comparing to Bryce 7.1 the early Bryce 4 acts as expected...In Bryce 4 sifting through the different camera views brings you right back to the exact position you were at...In Bryce 7.1 once you do the round your original perspective view gets RESET...

In Bryce 4 the BiBeast maintains a solid orange in viewport no matter OpenGL or DirectX but in 7.1 it shows in viewport texture artifacting of the choppy UV triangles...

Sure there are 'newer features' & 'enhancements' but also done in sloppy fashion quick hack job screwing other elements up in the process...

Just a shame Metacreations dissolved well at least Kai Krause got his castle....

Actually Kai Krause & Roman Ormandy shoulda got married I think they coulda come up with some stellar applications as they both had 'tune of a different drummer' ideas...

So back to Bryce 4...I found that the Real World Bryce 4 book highly recommended even today by the advanced Brycers Horo & Brinnen...It's a 1,000 page book over 2 inches thick & Author Sue Kitchens worked at Metacreations for 7 years until the dissolve...

I found a mint copy on EBAY for 10 bucks plus shipping...You can get cheaper like 8 bucks free shipping if you want a worn copy...

Here are a few animations from the book I found...The first is the promo-

Some others-

She finished book in late 2000 & not long after Corel bought up Bryce & hired her to come train their staff. When asked if She was gonna do a Bryce 5 book She said there was not near enough differences to warrant a new book...

NOW going back to Bryce 3 Special Alpha & 1997-

Here is Planetary Traveler which was full-length movie done solely in Bryce 3 special alpha version as Bryce 2 had no proper animation...Released in 1997 on VHS...
Artists collabed online in AOL Chatroom & mailed in rendered segments using 100 MB ZIP drives...
First movie of it's kind to be done on Desktop computers in such fashion-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L9OXAhAlm4