Environment/Reflection is White in MaterialEditor!

Technical questions, etc..
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Environment/Reflection is White in MaterialEditor!

Post by bitkar »

It is still not a problem. You can use the small window to render the preview in scene. Even material editor preview needs to be rendered and use the CPU, so whats the real difference? At least you can really test it if it looks good in real scene and not only in a mat. editor. (I never use the whole screen for test rendering when i work in tS)

It honestly looks pretty good. ... But you said its computationally expensive. If its not fast to render, its got no point almost. If you use tS7.6 with Vray it will be better and it will render way faster, so ... I still dont understand why to do such thing??

I barely remember having some soft reflection shader for some old tS and I remember it was really really slow (on a machine back in the days, dont know how it would be on the current machines)

I think you would do better if you used your time on tS7.6 than this (4.3) stuff of questionable "usefullness". My opinion. No offence. tS7.6 model side, can look like tS4.3 as the UI is customizable. If you arrange the icons and stuff like you are used to and learn the new tools (which bring new features), you would be better of. Having something better that still looks like the old tS.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

zzador wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 19:41
trueBlue wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 18:26 Does tS4.3 have a Post Process Editor?
Post Process Editor.png
Nice try, trueBlue...nice try. :lol: ;)

My heart beats for tS4.3 and there's no way around.
Try these tS2 Bible model plugins...
The Lens Flare is pretty cool in that you can keyframe it
Exploder is pretty cool too!
Attachments
Plugins.zip
(479.26 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
borgcone
Chief Petty Officer

Post by borgcone »

zzador wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 14:11 All raytraced reflections are pure white in the material editor regardless of any settings. Environmentmaps ... but who uses Environmentmaps today anyways.

...The shaders are computationally too expensive to test them directly in the scene. Besides that I would'nt have interactive response to parameter-changes done in the material-dialog.

... the reflections can't be seen in the material editor preview cause the environment there is just pure white. I thought there might be a way to change that.
Maybe someone should develop another Material Editor for tS4.3. But is it in high demand?
zzador wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 19:41 My heart beats for tS4.3 and there's no way around.
I just re-read your first post in 2019 and the replies to it.
trueSpace 3.2 & 4.2 by zzador
zzador wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 09:15 I'm new here ... many bugs and after version 6.6 Caligari came up with this "Workspace"<->"Modeller" duality which is/was imho very quirky and unelegant. I personally don't like to work with trueSpace 7.61 ...
It's time to start a new open source project for tS-like 3D tools! Of course, several sub-projects must progress simultaneously: tS4-like, tS2-like, tS7.61-tS6.6-integrated, etc. :)
borgcone ... or 3DfromNULL at https://biglode.com/ptsxpy
Finis
Captain

Post by Finis »

The more laws, the less justice. -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
zzador
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by zzador »

Well I would appreciate to have a starting point and forum only for tS 4.3 but it's not a "must have". For those who always want me to try tS 7.6 I can say I have tried it 3 times now and I usually deinstall it just a couple of minutes later. I don't want to offend people who worked on that project but for me it is an ugly abomination of a 3D software package. I feel overwhelmed by all the buttons and as a tS 1.0 - 4.3 User I just can't get a foot down. There is no underlying logic or concept to understand. It's like in Blender.

There was once a time where producers of 3D Packages wanted to address hobbyists, amateurs & professionals together with their products. Because professionals were always the main money source their opinions drove developement stronger than the opinions of amateurs and hobbyists and nowadays 3D Software packages are only directed at professionals. They are blown up with features over features and all these features must be accessible from the main screen. There is no guided workflow anymore like in the good old 3D Studio R3 or R4 where you got 4 different Editors (2D Shaper, 3D Lofter, 3D Editor and Keyframe). Truespace 1.0 also had no guided workflow but it had a cleaned up interface and some sence of order.

Blender is an incredible Tool....for professionals and just for professionals. As a hobbyist I simply have no time to learn blender and to be honest: It's no fun either. Blender's super complicated, feature-overblown interface is just no fun. And the same goes for tS 7.6 in my opinion.

What I like about tS 4.3 is that it has just the right base features. Ok, there could be real catmul clark subdivision and a loop-cut tool, but that can be impemented by yourself though tSX extensions. I like that I know every feature of tS 4.3 very well and can forecast any behaviour of it. If I have a problem or want to create an effect that not natively supported by tS 4.3 I just write myself an extension or custom shader for that. In that regard you might compare it to cars: tS 7.6 is modern Toyota and Blender is a modern BMW while tS 4.3 is and like an old Shelby GT. Your new Toyotas and BMWs have more features for sure but can you mod & repair them by yourself?
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe...
the rise & fall of MS-DOS. The birth of Windows 3.11. Professional 3D Software getting usable in the late 90s and getting unusable again around 2010. Telephones with a dial and so much more...
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

I understand you dont like the Workspace part of tS7.6 coz its different. But the tS6.6 (or Modeler part) is almost the same as 4.3. You would learn it in a week. Not more. Base is the same. Its the same UI with the same icons and pretty much same principles. Maybe right click was new.... Few new features and icons, maybe 10? This is puzzeling for me. It looks like there is some misunderstanding or something. Iam not forcing you, but i dont really see much difference (still the same old classic trueSpace). With every new trueSpace I was able to work in it rightaway and just sit for a week to learn the new stuff, that was added.

here is a screenshot for you, so I know we talk about the same thing. Its 7.61 modeler side.
Attachments
ts76UI.png
Michal aka bitkar
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

bitkar wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 20:01 I understand you dont like the Workspace part of tS7.6 coz its different. But the tS6.6 (or Modeler part) is almost the same as 4.3. You would learn it in a week. Not more. Base is the same. Its the same UI with the same icons and pretty much same principles. Maybe right click was new.... Few new features and icons, maybe 10? This is puzzeling for me. It looks like there is some misunderstanding or something. Iam not forcing you, but i dont really see much difference (still the same old classic trueSpace). With every new trueSpace I was able to work in it rightaway and just sit for a week to learn the new stuff, that was added.

here is a screenshot for you, so I know we talk about the same thing. Its 7.61 modeler side.
To clarify, do you mean tS7.6 Model or :? tS761Beta8 Model?
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

its the same when it come to the model side UI. I have never seen any difference. And I used both for some time to evaluate which one is better or more stable. But never thougth there is a difference in the model side UI. Its the same old tS legacy thing :)

here it is, i still have both, 7.61 and 7.6
Attachments
ts76UI.png
Michal aka bitkar
zzador
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by zzador »

Okay, since you can't stop selling me that ugly tS7.61 child I again installed it and gave it a try:

That's how tS7.61 "greets" me the first time I start it:

As you might see: It isn't even able to go real fullscreen (desktop is visible left & right & below) and the window is fully maximized. This might come from my abnormal laptop resolution (1366 x 768) but then again: tS 4.3 has no problems to go fullscreen. Then what are all these icons and how can I get rid of them? There's nowhere a menu where I can disable the groups like in tS4.3. I can collapse them to an ugly nearly invisible dot of course but that's not good usability imho. How can I get all the icons to automatically align at the bottom border as I'm used to it? Found no way so far.

If there are solutions to all these problems I might give tS 7.61 Modelside Edition a chance again but for now I feel really completely helpless there.
bitkar wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 21:29 It honestly looks pretty good. ... But you said its computationally expensive. If its not fast to render, its got no point almost. If you use tS7.6 with Vray it will be better and it will render way faster, so ... I still dont understand why to do such thing??
The image needed 8minutes on my HP Laptop from 2017. It got 256 Diffuse samples per pixel.
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe...
the rise & fall of MS-DOS. The birth of Windows 3.11. Professional 3D Software getting usable in the late 90s and getting unusable again around 2010. Telephones with a dial and so much more...
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

Ok, i think we found the problem... i would say RTFM (read the fucking manual), but not to be mean, i made a tutorial just for you ;)
Michal aka bitkar