Display problems in any version of TS

Technical questions, etc..
WolfsongCG
Seaman
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Display problems in any version of TS

Post by WolfsongCG »

Hello,

As per the title, I'm having a lot of trouble with the display in Truespace.

For starters, I'm running on Windows 10, with a NVidia RTX 2070 Super video card. I have the runtimes installed for all DX versions. I have the latest drivers for my GPU.

The issue I'm running into is that TS76 (any version) will not use D3D at all. It just says it can't load it, and switches to Wireframe.
If I put it into OpenGL mode, parts of the screen go black at random, and the screen will just "freeze up" as a grey or white rectangle.

Basically, TS76 is unusable for me as of now, but I have to believe I'm not the only one who's run into this, and so I'm hoping someone here has found a solution?

I've looked through the FAQ, and I've searched the forums here for a fix, but have been unable to find anything.

Thanks for any help!
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Display problems in any version of TS

Post by bitkar »

i had some problems way back... i think reinstalling tS helped. btw: DX7 cannot handle large resolution, i think limint is about 2000 px, so maybe if you have 2k or 4k screen make the main window smaller, if you are using model side in tS7.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
WolfsongCG
Seaman

Post by WolfsongCG »

Thanks for your reply!

Hmm, well if reinstalling is a possible fix, I can confirm that isn't working 'cuase I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, across a few different versions.

As for DX and resolution, according to the FAQ, it uses at least DX9 (on Windows XP) and higher versions for later Windows versions. So, I'm not sure if it's locked at DX7?
stan
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by stan »

DX7 is for the ts6.6 model side, the older part. Workspace uses DX9. Try what Bitkar suggests.
trueBlue
Captain

Post by trueBlue »

I have Win 10 with a GeForce GTX 970 and Model works as expected.
I do have to run trueSpace in Compatibility Mode though, because of a full screen issue.
Few things you can try:
1.) Press and Hold your keyboard Ctrl key and open trueSpace.
Configure trueSpace.png
Configure trueSpace.png (6.05 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
2.) Search for and Run the dxdiag program on your PC
DX Dialog.png
3.) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... compatible
Troubleshoot.png
4.)Try setting up trueSpace in your NVIDIA Control Program
NVIDIA Control Program.png
5.) As bitkar mentioned:
"If you have 2k or 4k screen make the main window smaller, if you are using model side in tS7"

Good luck!
If all else fails you can use the trueSpace 7.61 Standalone version without Model
WolfsongCG
Seaman

Post by WolfsongCG »

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions all.

I'm still learning about this, and I'm not even sure what Model Side is, or why TS seems to have like 2 or 3 different versions of the program built-in, but I'm sure there's a reason for it.
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by clintonman »

I think it's a matter of history. Truespace 7 was such a big change that they couldn't do it all at once, so they included truespace 6 as a part of it in the form of the Model Side. The new changes, truespace 7, were put into the Workspace side. I assume the final goal was to have all the functionality of truespace 6 inside 7 and get rid of the bridge between them. I think during the time of the shutdown someone requested a workspace only version and so you get the split of trueSpace Beta (model and workspace) version and the workspace only trueSpace Std/Rosetta version.
trueSpace 7.61 Beta and Std/Rosetta were pretty much released on the day they shutdown.
trueSpace 7.6 like the last Beta has the 2 sides model and workspace and is the preferred version for people who only use model side.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
Steinie
Captain

Post by Steinie »

An older FAQ which can get you up to speed. Who What Why.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2146#p20885

Most links are dead but we can get you the correct ones.