Why does Truespace install microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ?

Technical questions, etc..
wirelessmikey
Seaman Recruit

Why does Truespace install microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ?

Post by wirelessmikey »

If microsoft is partnering with calagari, microsoft should advise calagari to update their install package to include Visual C++ 2008 software. Recently installed XNA 3.1, which includes .net framework 3.5 and C++ 2008. Now i have 2005 and 2008 on my system.
Has anyone tried uninstalling visual c++ 2005 plus the sql server 2005 to see if truespace does function.
Jack Edwards
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Re: Why does Truespace install microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ?

Post by Jack Edwards »

It's installing the VC 2005 runtime libraries because they are used by some of the components. trueSpace was built with VC2005 and has since been cancelled by Microsoft, so there won't be any future versions and thus no need to migrate the source code to VC2008.

Also don't confuse the runtime libraries with the compiler. The runtime libraries are DLLs that get registered with the sytem so that applications can use them. The compiler is part of Visual Studio. The advantage of using the runtime libraries is that you only have to install it once and all the applications that link to it can use it. Since the code is shared, it makes the size of those applications smaller.
No booleans were used in the mangling of this message... :?

YafaRay for trueSpace Project

(Current version: v0.7.0)

trueSpacePlugins.com
wirelessmikey
Seaman Recruit

Post by wirelessmikey »

After sending my question, looked at the faq's, read that microsoft has cancelled their partnership with truespace. Don't know why, as this program looks like it will work wanders with xna.
I'll be playing around with both until than, Thanks for the update.
First Light
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by First Light »

wirelessmikey wrote:After sending my question, looked at the faq's, read that microsoft has cancelled their partnership with truespace. ...
Hi wirelessmikey,

I'm sorry if you got that impression from our FAQs because that is not true as far as I'm aware. Microsoft has not cancelled its partnership with trueSpace---at least not in a legal sense. They bought Caligari, the company that developed trueSpace, and Caligari became a wholy owned subsidiary of Microsoft. When they did this, Microsoft became the new owner of all of Caligari's intellectual property including all versions of trueSpace past and present and all related software and training materials held by Caligari.

When the worldwide economy crashed, Microsoft had to cut funding to many projects and lay off thousands of employees. Some Microsoft products were cancelled. One of the products to lose its funding was trueSpace. Microsoft pulled all funding for Caligari and layed off all of its employees except Roman Ormandy, the founder, who continues work for them on something (I'm not sure what).

So, you see, Microsoft still owns Caligari and trueSpace. They just aren't putting any money into it and they don't have any employees working on it any more. But they haven't ended any "partnership" because a partnership never existed. But I wish very, very much that you were right---that Microsoft had ended a partnership with Caligari and that trueSpace was once again the sole possession of Caligari so they could resume development. And if not Caligari, then someone else. But now I'm dreaming...

For all we know, Microsoft may resume development of trueSpace after the economy rebounds. However, few of us believe this is likely. The longer trueSpace lies dormant, the more "catch-up" work there will be to make it competitive again. They may already have plans to use elements of trueSpace in other projects.

Best regards, First Light
wirelessmikey
Seaman Recruit

Post by wirelessmikey »

Again, Thank you for the information.

Microsoft has XNA, you would think having their own remodeller available for making games that MS would hire not lay off/fire the support staff for truespace.

This weekend will try and experiment with truespace especially scanning in some of my brothers artwork and testing out the nurbs.