D3D not working on Model Side

Technical questions, etc..
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

D3D not working on Model Side

Post by bitkar »

Hey, i just wanted to run tS after some time and D3D7 is not working anymore. It was kind of broken when I started the tS. Figured out, that after switching to CPU or OpenGL it works normally. When I try to switch to D3D mode I get an error that "cannot switch to D3D, switching to wireframe instead".
Tried a fresh install of tS - the same. Tried to make a profile in the Radeon Settings to tweak it, no luck either.

Update: another wierd thing is that I can actually use DX in a small window, but not in the main window. wtf?

My specs - 2560x1440 Screen at AMD Radeon HD7870 running a windows10.

Anyone has a similar problem with Win10 and AMD graphics cards? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
bitkar
Captain

Re: D3D not working on Model Side

Post by bitkar »

OK, I found out whats causing it... seems like it can handle only some resolution... if a scale the whole tS down, DX works. If I go all over my 2k screen, its not able to draw the picture.

Anyone with more than fullHD monitor also having this trouble?

OpenGL works tho (but i dont like how it stops displaying edges of objects near the eye/camera)

Is it possible to tweak it with some of the parameters? (when i switch to "2D script view" and go one level up, there is a "windows manager", there are logs of parameters) or is it a limitation of DX7?

It seems that max render width is about 2045px... If i make the viewport bigger, DX is not able to display it.
Michal aka bitkar
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

How is your system doing on RAM? I sometimes get a similar error message like system out of memory? Also, are your video drivers up to date? I feel your sense of frustration when things like this pop up messing with our creative flow.
bitkar
Captain

Post by bitkar »

well i have 16 GB of RAM overall. Definatly more than tS is able to use is available. Graphics drivers are up to date. Iam able to work normally when i shrink the main window by enlarging the right panel with vray options and stuff. Its just it cant display the the D3D viewport when its "too big" in modelside. DX9 in workspace side works normally. And OpenGL in model side works too.
Michal aka bitkar