Problem animating a propeller

Technical questions, etc..
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Problem animating a propeller

Post by Emmanuel »

I cannot get the very simple animation of a propeller rotating on itself AND following a path with the Look Ahead option.

Every attenpt fails...

- I can get the propeller rotating on itself : set Rotation Z value to 180° at frame 25, then make the Clip to loop in the Scene Editor.
- I can also get the propeller to follow a path with the Look Ahead on at frame 0.

But when I play the animation, the propeller is not rotating until the path animation ends !

I guess I am missing something, but what ? Any ideas ?
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Problem animating a propeller

Post by Draise »

I would parent the rotor to a null, or another object - constrain that parent null or object to the path. THEN I would animate the rotation of the rotor. A path in essence is a constraint - meaning it overrides any SRT of the contrained object. So you would want to put in animation into the child of the constrained object.
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Problem animating a propeller

Post by Emmanuel »

Thank you Draise.
It may work in Workspace but I tried your suggestion in Modeler side and it doesn't work : the propeller does not follow the null object.
But you have pointed the right direction !

I finally managed to make it work. Here is the trick (in Modeler side) :
1. Animate the rotating propeller. Make the rotation to loop in the Scene Editor's Clips view.
2. Create a null object and place it in the middle of the propeller.
3. Use the Glue as Sibling tool to glue the null and the propeller together.
4. While the glued object is still selected, create a new CLIP (that's the N icon in the Scene Editor), name it, then clic the Look Ahead icon, and draw the path.

The trick is to use the CLIPS feature AND to assign the path animation to a new group via the Glue-As-Sibling tool
If there is no CLIP, the propeller won't loop, and if there is no group the rotation won't play.

It seems trueSpace needs to have different objects glued together to keep the animation of each recorded. Also, the use of CLIPS brings flexibility : I can adjust the rotating speed separately !
Once mastered trueSpace is really a cool piece of software indeed :D

Thanks again Draise :)