How to insert image reference in the background ? [SOLVED]

Technical questions, etc..
Cellulo
Lieutenant
Type the number ten into the box: 9

How to insert image reference in the background ? [SOLVED]

Post by Cellulo »

How to insert image reference in the background ? i'm forcing to use the reference texture apply on a plane ? or i can put it directly in the grid of the background? There is a menu for that ?

I ask this question because i have see a old tutorial to make a ant in 3Dsmax 2.5, and it say to load the ant reference image in Background image menu and after lock the image, it is possible to make the same thing in tS Modelside?
Last edited by Cellulo on 12 Oct 2015, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: How to insert image reference in the background ?

Post by Emmanuel »

To model something from a picture, the best way is to apply your image reference on a plane : this allows to keep the image scale whatever the window size.

You can use a bitmap as background also (set your bitmap in the Display Options panel).
But if you move your view, the object may not match the picture, and it is sometimes hard to get back to the original position. If you decide to work this way, open a new view Window, set its size according to your picture ratio, and save your layout in case you need to get back to it later.
Cellulo
Lieutenant

Post by Cellulo »

Thanks Emmanuel.

EDIT: i found this cool tutorial: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/149180
Fenerit
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post by Fenerit »

Also the Draw Panel is useful: with it you can trace (NURBS) the image profile...
bitkar
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by bitkar »

its good to have a 2D poly plane and use rotoscope.tsx by Chikara Kojima, very helpful for this.
Michal aka bitkar
tS freak since tS2 (1998) and forever (tS7.61 modeler)
Draise
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by Draise »

Blender can import images as planes, and you can export them as FBX's and they import nicely with the texture using Clinton's FBX importer.

Another option is using Pureref (free) which allows you to overlay images in your OS, then you can make it transparent, and continue to work. I use this method ALL the time (as I don't like random planes in my workspace).

Or you could just create a plane, set the dimension to the correct aspect ratio, paint texture on with a constant texture shader and do it manually..

There are.. many ways to skin a cat.
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Fenerit wrote:Also the Draw Panel is useful: with it you can trace (NURBS) the image profile...
That's right. I forgot this one : it is a very simple way to insert image reference for modeling.
One issue is that the image reference is lost when you exit the scene : the image information/path is not saved in the scene file.

The background of a new View Window is saved with the scene ; that's probably the reason why I prefer this method...
Cellulo
Lieutenant

Re: How to insert image reference in the background ? [SOLVED]

Post by Cellulo »

Thanks all for these useful tips.