Import

Technical questions, etc..
clintonman
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Re: Import of DXF

Post by clintonman »

janetb wrote:Draise: No, no--you can't import from CorelD. I saved to various formats in Corel and tried importing those saved files. With most of the files e.g., Illustrator, TS said it did not support the file version. The one that worked was DXF. But it is acting a bit strangely. Have so far not been able to do what I want. Will post again later if I get better results.....

Janet
If you can be sure to save as older versions of Illustrator or EPS. Truespace can't read modern versions of those types of files. I think truespace can read illustrator version 9 or older files. Also play around with the dxf import options.
Clinton Reese

http://clintons3d.com
janetb
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by janetb »

clintonman wrote: If you can be sure to save as older versions of Illustrator or EPS. Truespace can't read modern versions of those types of files. I think truespace can read illustrator version 9 or older files. Also play around with the dxf import options.
Just tried saving as older versions of .ai (Illustrator) to no avail. I thought I had brought Illustrator files into TS in the past--it must have been when I was using TS 6....:-(.... Don't want to install it just for that. In any case, the dxf came in good. I had to boolian subtract the inner shapes, which went surprisingly well, except there are two spots with artifacts which show up when I make them gold material. Fix Bad Geometry does not help. Was able to get rid of them by playing with the mapping. Now that I am so used to working with Corel, I really miss all the graphics functions--like being able to have a popup for the midpoint of a line, or snapping to points when drawing a shape. By the way, I couldn't remember if there is a way in TS to make an equilateral triangle....?
clintonman
Captain

Post by clintonman »

janetb wrote:... By the way, I couldn't remember if there is a way in TS to make an equilateral triangle....?
Add Regular Polygon button, right click set to 3 sides.

Edit:
I did a quick test and version 8 files work from illustrator. So Corel must be writing it differently or maybe it's old version is still too new for truespace.
Clinton Reese

janetb
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by janetb »

clintonman wrote: Add Regular Polygon button, right click set to 3 sides.
I actually remembered the r-click and select 3. But I can't find the entire Polygon Draw toolbar!!!! The Icon Helper's little animation opens it from an imaginary, non-existing toolbar in the center of the screen which, of course disappears as soon as the animation is over. Doesn't give me enough time to look at the other icons on the bar to see if I can find those. I find polyhedrons and polylines, but not polygons. Perhaps I'm looking right at it and don't see it...? Screen capture attached with all toolbars open.

[You can also see the imported dxfs turned into polygons, colored, glued, positioned, and lit. It's a pendant that says 'Jacques' in yellow gold and white gold.]
Attachments
My TS7.jpg
clintonman
Captain

Re: Import

Post by clintonman »

Click and hold on the circle tool will show the regular polygon button.
Clinton Reese