Problem sweep and bend tools in TS 6

Technical questions, etc..
Cellulo
Lieutenant
Type the number ten into the box: 9

Problem sweep and bend tools in TS 6

Post by Cellulo »

Hi all , i have problem with the sweep and bend tools in TS 6 (modelside 7.61), i want to create the egg plant from the anim8or egg plant tutorial. here the link:

http://www.anim8or.com/learn/tutorials/ ... index.html

The first step it's ok for me i can create the first polygon with 5 sides:

but when i want extrude (sweep) the five faces to build the base, trueSpace extrude all faces in top of the object, and if i try to sweep only two faces for testing, trueSpace don't follow the normal face direction instead of i have the two faces extruded but merged in one direction, i know that i can extrude one by one the faces to make the base and quit all time the edit mode and select a new face, but it is possible to extrude the 5 faces in same time like in the screenshot here:

Image i can't make this in trueSpace or i can but only one by one face and quit edit mode select new face sweep, quit edit mode select face sweep etc...

Image after some minutes i can make with success this part in trueSpace.

I jump some steps and want to bend the plant like in this screenshot below but i have problem.

Image i can reproduce this selection face in trueSpace.

Image but in trueSpace the bend tool bend the whole object not the face selected. The result is a deformed object.

I know that in the workspace i can extrude with the dynamic sweep tool and with features like faces groups, average normal and auto alignement to make the base of the egg plant, but i want to create the egg plant only in trueSpace 6, i realize that the sweep tool is limited in tS 6 or i don t know the good way. All screenshots come from the tutorial. In fact i can't reproduce the anim8or tools 's steps with the truespace 6 tools to make the egg plant.
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Problem sweep and bend tools in TS 6

Post by Emmanuel »

Cellulo wrote:

Image i can't make this in trueSpace or i can but only one by one face and quit edit mode select new face sweep, quit edit mode select face sweep etc...
Yes, that's the way we are supposed to do in tS.
Note that you can add a plugin in your Point Edit toolbar to unselect the face. That's better than exit PE mode and re-enter PE mode
Cellulo wrote:
Image but in trueSpace the bend tool bend the whole object not the face selected. The result is a deformed object.
- In tS you will have to use the Deform Object tool. By changing Lattice Resolution (clic drag the vertical arrow that appears at the bottom of your object), you can define the areas that will be affected by deformation. This tool can be animated.
- You can also use bones (the best way for animation)
- Last but not least, if you don't plan to animate, use the MeshForge plugin to model this part of your object, then boolean/glue the rest (foot and flower).
Cellulo
Lieutenant

Post by Cellulo »

Thanks for the tips Emmanuel i will try them, i forgot to use the deform tool. :o
BNG
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Post by BNG »

You can also use the lathe tool to do something similar just remember to tweak the tools settings and change the angle of the arc?
Cellulo
Lieutenant

Post by Cellulo »

Thanks BNG, yes that's working
Cellulo
Lieutenant

Post by Cellulo »

where i can find the meshforge plugin ?, normally it's not free , i found the old page here http://web.archive.org/web/200603130327 ... forge.html, i have tested the demo , it's cool tool but only a demo.

EDIT: i found on the web that in the anipack there is the meshforge tool plugin version 5 inside, damn this pack is not sell anymore. :(

EDIT2: i have send a mail to Primitive Itch, for release Meshforge plugin for free for the community, i hope they can do that.
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

I doubt you will get a reply. I tried to contact Scott several times with no success.
MeshForge is not available among the free plugins of PrimitiveItch maybe because it was part of the AniPak and still for sale when Scott decided to leave tS in 2006.
But Caligari don't sell anything nowdays, and I don't Scott would mind us sharing this useful little tool at this 2013 Christmas time.

Here is MeshForge.
Attachments
MeshForge50Setup.zip
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 242 times
Cellulo
Lieutenant

Post by Cellulo »

Thanks a lot Emmanuel very useful plugin, it is possible i add meshforge plugin in my next update, it's legal ?
Emmanuel
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Emmanuel »

Cellulo wrote:it is possible i add meshforge plugin in my next update, it's legal ?
A program belongs to its author. He is the only one that can decide how to distribute his work. The word "abandonware" came to describe the situation of programs with no support, no sales, and no response from authors when asking for a permission for users to share the program.
With years, the number of abandoned programs increases and there is still no status for that. Since there is no economical gain and no support, and that the authors are clearly named, sharing abandoned program don't harm authors or former distributors rights. This does not mean that it is legal though.

Since I started to host some old plugins on my archive page in 2008, all the authors I could get in touch with gave me the permission to host their old plugins, and I have never been contacted by the rest... so I guess they don't mind.
Cellulo
Lieutenant

Post by Cellulo »

Then i will add meshforge plugin with the few new others in my next update, credits names of the authors include inside of course like the others.