trueSPace 7 with Windows 8

Technical questions, etc..
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer
Type the number ten into the box: 0

trueSPace 7 with Windows 8

Post by splinters »

Installed Windows 8 last night over my Win 7 and everything went fine. Better than fine actually, everything opens quicker and moves smoother....except tS7.6

It just says memory leak, a few numbers (1112?) and then crashes. Never get past the splash screen and I have to use task manager to close the splash screen.

I reinstalled tS7 over the existing one so all I have left to try is to completely remove tS and reinstall...as well as trying new graphics drivers.

I run windows in bootcamp on an i7 Macbook Pro that has HD3000 graphics and Ati 6970HD card the machine has 16gb memory so there should be no problems running tS. Everything else runs fine by the way...just tS7.6.

Any ideas?
Draise
Captain

Re: trueSPace 7 with Windows 8

Post by Draise »

I had some corrupt TS installations in W7 once... Indeed a clean install was the way to go, or to delete the *.ctx file and the default.scn file in the TS installation folder. They will auto build after you TS. (I often copied and pasted TS installations to various CPU's)

I think upon installtion you need a .net framework installed for TS to work right.
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Cheers, I will uninstall, reboot and reinstall then see what happens and post my results. Thank god I finished a big job in tS last week. I did have my reasons for updating so it wasnt just an impulse thing plus I like to do a clean install but just didnt have the time to reinstall everything.... :oops:
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Worked a treat. Installed ts7.6, Vray 1.3 then dribble and all worked fine. I am amazed at how fast it all runs too...much better than windows 7.

Then i got cocky and copied my old ts folder over the freshly installed one....boom! Same memory leak so I guess i just need to copy over scenes and files amd reinstall all my plug ins etc.
Still, happy bunny now.... :bananamouse:
trueBlue
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 10

Post by trueBlue »

FYI: tS76 Libraries do not like ANYTHING that is not related to tS76. HTH
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

Maybe with Win 8 try to install TS 8. :D
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr
splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

After much trial and error (and to save anyone else the hassle) it was the shadermagic.tss causing the crash/leak. Removing it from shader even if the rest of the program is still installed solved it.
Is there an updated .tss at all, it never crashed in Win 7?

Cant seem to find the shadermagic plug in on the net. Just have my old version from 2005.
marcel
Captain

Post by marcel »

I had the same problem with Win 7 and an old plugin (a thumbnails viewer to see scn with Windows explorer). Since i erased it, all is ok.
Some plugin are too old to follow.
The best is to test TS without anything first.
Design - illustration - Animation
http://www.crea-vision.fr