Win 8 pro or stay with win 7 pro

Technical questions, etc..
pugman 1
Captain
Type the number ten into the box: 0

Win 8 pro or stay with win 7 pro

Post by pugman 1 »

Hi all i am thinking of puting win 8 on my 3d pc at the moment it has win 7. I realy like win 8 more and more.
it works just fine . the boot and shut down i thought were quick untill i installed win 8
on my gamer pc that boots in half the time from win7 and shut down the same .
my only worry is will my apps work ok .Zbrush ,modo blender silo 3d coat and photo shop Ts .
does anyone have these on win 8 pro if so is everything ok with them .
Cheers Ralph

jamesmc
Captain

Re: Win 8 pro or stay with win 7 pro

Post by jamesmc »

pugman 1 wrote:Hi all i am thinking of puting win 8 on my 3d pc at the moment it has win 7. I realy like win 8 more and more.
it works just fine . the boot and shut down i thought were quick untill i installed win 8
on my gamer pc that boots in half the time from win7 and shut down the same .
my only worry is will my apps work ok .Zbrush ,modo blender silo 3d coat and photo shop Ts .
does anyone have these on win 8 pro if so is everything ok with them .
Cheers Ralph

Don't have modo, silo and don't use blender, but everything you mentioned that I have works on Win 8 Pro. I don't mess with tS exclusively and haven't tested all the plug-ins, but it fires up okay and I have modeled with it.

Zbrush 4R5, 3DC 4.XX beta, Photoshop CS3 extended work just fine.
Walk by faith, not by sight.

splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

I have just upgraded to Win 8 Pro and I get a memory leak when starting tS7.6. Tried compatibility in XP, Vista and Win 7.
Any ideas?

BNG
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by BNG »

splinters wrote:I have just upgraded to Win 8 Pro and I get a memory leak when starting tS7.6. Tried compatibility in XP, Vista and Win 7.
Any ideas?
Sorry to hear about your problem with TS7.6. Personally, I am very hesitant about upgrading to new versions of Windows due to the many complaints I see on the web about Microsoft moving away from 32bit applications. I've seen odd behavior in some older modeling programs that just don't seem to like the new changes that are being integrated into newer Windows O.S.s. I would suggest that you check with Microsoft via it's automatic update utility. It seems that M.S. is prematurely releasing products with bugs that it later needs to patch as it receives error reports from users. I remember having issues that were later resolved under Win XP after sending error reports to M.S. and being directed to 3rd party vendors with fixes that I was able to download and install to resolve some issues. However, with Caligari no longer being supported the chance of resolving some issues may never happen. Do you know if Win8 still supports the compatibility function? I know that Win7 does, but I don't really know what else to try for his knid of issue. Leroy.

splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Compatibility mode is still there but didnt solve my problem. Clean install of tS tonight then we shall see.

splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Turned out to be Shaderlight plugin. Works fine but Windows 8 has many problems.

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Many problems? I was just thinking to install W8 today.. why so many problems?

splinters
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by splinters »

Crashes repeatedly on startup with bad pool header message. Might be Antivirus related but its a real pain...

Draise
Captain

Post by Draise »

Sorry to pull this up again, but HEY! I just installed Windows 8 and.. I actually love it, though I have crashed it twice already, mainly with the dual screen and W8 apps docking system, but I hear a new major update is coming out in July or June or something. Can't wait! The rest works like a charm, more or less.

froo
Captain

Post by froo »

Hey Draise!
I've been using 8 for some time now. I just go to the desktop; don't use the apps stuff. I guess it takes me a long time to adapt to new stuff like that. Case in point: we got Smart Phones a few weeks ago. Never had one; don't use apps on those yet either. Hey, I make phone calls, aright?! :lol: